My Outdoor Enclosure Build

I must say exactly to plan, great build. Looking well made, did you go over budget? I know you probably could have reduced its carbon footprint with less journeys to hw store?

It looks really nice.:) You should be proud.

I don't know what kind of rocks you're considering for "mulch". I got bags of river pebbles at a dollar store—the natural ones. I hear they're also available in larger quantities at Home Despot. I bought a bag of black ones cuz I thought they looked cool, but turned out they were painted with some kind of stinky waxy substance. Passed. After the Missus saw how my plants (for the beardie lair) looked, she's started putting pebbles on all her house plants! (They help keep moisture in. ;))

I've seen & heard of hibiscus, but don't know anything about them—we don't have 'em up here. Do they drop their leaves when kept outside all year? Wow, I was just looking them up. Does their pollen suggest anything? :rolleyes: (HINT: rhymes with "coronavirus")

Yes they will drop their leaves... But our weather is hit and miss all year long. They will hold on to their leaves until about October/november then we start cooling off.

I get my river rock for pots at the dollar store. Sooooo much cheaper.

I must say exactly to plan, great build. Looking well made, did you go over budget? I know you probably could have reduced its carbon footprint with less journeys to hw store?
Thank you! So I did not really have a budget exactly. I did not want to spend over $300 because that is what I had set aside for this project. I did pretty good. I just added up all my hardware receipts and they total $229.34 and then I got the 3 hibiscus for $45. So all in $274.34.

I already have the stuff for the drip/misting system I will add so no additional there.

Wow! Great job! Maybe you have found a calling.

I’m not sure about your area, but in Baltimore we have some cool “maker spaces” like OpenWorks and Station North Tool Library - where you can take classes to learn how to use various tools (some industrial level!), and then once you take the class you can pay like $10 for a day pass to use their equipment. The ones near me have CNC equipment, powder coating, welding, wood shop, etc. Hard to beat for $10 - and lots of other makers who are there to help you out!

Might be worth checking that out - if you enjoy that sort of thing. You did a great job, and a very impressive first project!

Wow! Great job! Maybe you have found a calling.

I’m not sure about your area, but in Baltimore we have some cool “maker spaces” like OpenWorks and Station North Tool Library - where you can take classes to learn how to use various tools (some industrial level!), and then once you take the class you can pay like $10 for a day pass to use their equipment. The ones near me have CNC equipment, powder coating, welding, wood shop, etc. Hard to beat for $10 - and lots of other makers who are there to help you out!

Might be worth checking that out - if you enjoy that sort of thing. You did a great job, and a very impressive first project!
Thank you Natalie! I live in a very small area.. They really do not off much of anything here. Honestly since I do not have an army of chameleons this will be my only project.
I am just so happy it turned out the way I saw it in my head. I have been wanting to do this the passed year but was too scared to take it on. So I have had a lot of time to watch and see what others did and try to incorporate different aspects into what I really wanted for Beman.
It makes me very happy that I did it without totally messing it up LOL Now it just needs to gas off. We are supposed to have a beautiful weekend next week so fingers crossed it will be ready for Beman to try it out. :)

It looks so awesome! I wonder how many of us you have inspired. ☺
What did you use to cut the wood?
❤ I hope so. If I can do it then anyone can lol.

So the main framing of the cage I used 2x2's on. Those I had cut to size at the hardware store.. I just counted the pieces I needed and told them what I wanted. But I did not account for the size for the middle verticals where the doors meet in the middle. My mom remembered she had a jigsaw so I used that to cut the two pieces down.

Then since I really did not know for the doors what sizes to ask for I just used the jigsaw on those.. I should have given myself a little more play in my sizes though. They open but are snug lol. For the framing on the doors I got 1x2's.

The wood alone was only $70 which was way better then I thought it would be.

Well the Enclosure is Beman approved! He needs to settle in a bit more but that will come with time and use... Of course when he was comfortable basking I could not get close enough to get a picture without him becoming a stick again :hilarious:

6-13-20_3.jpg

6-13-20_2.jpg

6-13-20_1.jpg

Of course when he was comfortable basking I could not get close enough to get a picture without him becoming a stick again :hilarious:
Careful you don't sanitize him by mistake—I hear they can change colors to blend right in with their environment! :rolleyes: (???)

He did not want to come out... I had to pretend I had a feeder between my fingers :hilarious:
Ah... the old "feign a bug between the fingers" trick. Works every time! ?:p

Back
Top Bottom