My new setup

Roni013

So I updated my pygmy setup, it's all fake plants...I decided trying to take care of my pygmy AND a plant was a little much for me right now. I added lots more folliage and color, hopefully Keroppi appreciates it.
cage.jpg

It's not hard to find Keroppi, I just look near the food :D
food.jpg

I'm starting to think Keroppi is a girl, what do you guys think?
keroppi-1-1.jpg

yeah same here. At least 2/3 live plants and some fakies..IMO. Plus dead leaf is ok for them!! Its perfect!!! live plants now....end of summer dead plants/leaf with branches...

I have moss and reptile bark at the bottom but the room I have him in doesnt have a lot of natural light and I'm sure a real plant would quickly die. Maybe I'll get one someday but I offer fruits and veggies and nothing I've read says live plants are essential. BTW I wasnt trying to impress anyone, just wanted to share, guess next time I'll keep it to myself. :p

Live plants are VERY IMPORTANT to have for your chameleon. You can get a small Ficus at WalMart for about $7.00.

There's tons of plants that are suited to a terrarium & low light conditions.

You just have to do the research.

Pathos dose very well in low light conditions. Also some pillow moss all large dark green leaved plants in the tropical section of any store with the planting tips stuck in the pot, go for medium to low light variety.

Last edited:
but I offer fruits and veggies and nothing I've read says live plants are essential.

Where did you read that pygmies eat "fruits and veggies"?
Sorry to be so hard on you ... but it doesn't seem like you did much research at all.
Read the article linked in my previous post.

-Brad

Sorry but please put some real plants in there... I have a pygmy with some ficus and the plants do prettye well, besides they help with humidity.

If you're giving them veggies, you didn't do your research. I wonder what's your misting system and temp and humidity aswell...

Ok..I still don’t get it..... that list of "essentials" is just a list of what one guy thought would help be "an aesthetically pleasing environment for your chameleon(s) and a nice conversation piece." I don't have a lot of stuff on that list. Not that I'm against real plants I just don’t get it, so far I read they are "good for providing a high level climbing arena for the pygmies" and "The density of the foliage ... will also provide a degree of security to a timid pygmy." but I think I have that pretty covered. I also read "A layer of sphagnum moss on top of the soil substrate will help to retain humidity and provides a non-linear ground surface on which the pygmies can climb. Other good plants include ferns and mosses." I have moss.

FYI this is a quote from Rieppeleon brevicaudatus - Husbandry Techniques
"Along with a proper gut load, I offer fruits such as apples and oranges and leafy/collard greens such as mustard, dandelion, and occasionally kale. Take the time and research what’s best to offer, not every vegetable/fruit is ideal." and yes I did do the research so maybe you guys could cut me a little slack. I know I'm a newbie but criticism without reason doesn’t help me. I've had Keroppi for a month now and she is still healthy and seems happy.

We are just trying to help:)..Dont take it offensively..;)

Obviously you did do a lil research hence the quotes.. but take my word for it..people around here KNOW what they are talking about, as well as have YEARS of experience..So if someone critiques your husbandry dont trip we are just trying to help..glad to hear shes doing good.

FYI this is a quote from Rieppeleon brevicaudatus - Husbandry Techniques
"Along with a proper gut load, I offer fruits such as apples and oranges and leafy/collard greens such as mustard, dandelion, and occasionally kale. Take the time and research what’s best to offer, not every vegetable/fruit is ideal."

i do believe that sentence about the gut loading and fruits and veggies was meant for CRICKETS not chameleons..

you gutload the crickets with fruits and veggies along with a cricket gutloader..
:rolleyes:

pygmy chameleons will not eat fruits and veggies, and if one miraculously does, then i would buy it...

Ok..I still don’t get it..... that list of "essentials" is just a list of what one guy thought would help be "an aesthetically pleasing environment for your chameleon(s) and a nice conversation piece.

Just for your information (please don't take offense) that "one guy"
is the go to guy for pygmy care.
Articles printed in the e-zine are written by experts.
Get it?

-Brad

Sorry If I'm a bit aggravated but giving me links to things I've already read doesn’t help. If you want to be helpful you could tell me WHY. That’s all I wanted to know. And I appreciate that guy is an expert but I don't see anywhere that it says those things listed are essential. I'm just trying to make sense of this all. Its like if I said your dog should have 3 feedings a day but didn’t say why, a person starts to wonder, what if you miss one, will he die or is just a recommended guide line- just because 3 feedings might work for my dog it might be too much for your dog. I dunno I guess I just felt attacked and no one was saying why and to be pinholed as someone who did no research just really angered me because I would never do that. It would have been nicer to hear constructive criticism instead of just criticism. I know you guys are just trying to help, I'm just a 'reason' kinda person and I like to know the reasoning behind things, my one flaw..... :rolleyes:...I'll have to work on that

Last edited:
Chameleons are VERY HARD to keep alive. Everyone here is just trying to share their experiance with you for what works for them to help keep their chams alive. That's all.

Sorry If I'm a bit aggravated but giving me links to things I've already read doesn’t help. If you want to be helpful you could tell me WHY. That’s all I wanted to know. And I appreciate that guy is an expert but I don't see anywhere that it says those things listed are essential. I'm just trying to make sense of this all. Its like if I said your dog should have 3 feedings a day but didn’t say why, a person starts to wonder, what if you miss one, will he die or is just a recommended guide line- just because 3 feedings might work for my dog it might be too much for your dog. I dunno I guess I just felt attacked and no one was saying why and to be pinholed as someone who did no research just really angered me because I would never do that. It would have been nicer to hear constructive criticism instead of just criticism. I know you guys are just trying to help, I'm just a 'reason' kinda person and I like to know the reasoning behind things, my one flaw..... :rolleyes:...I'll have to work on that

Roni, we all want to help you and I think you also want to give the best to your cham, so let's try to work as a team.

Like it was stated before the reason why most people use natural plants in pygmy enclosures, is because they help to retain humidity while keeping a more natural environment to your cham. Besides most of the plants we talk about here are relatively easy to keep in an terrarium, like I said I have 2 ficus and they look very healthy without me having any special care with them. You can use fake plants, but natural plants give your cham more life quality.

Fruits and veggies are for the crickets. Pygmies eat crickets, fruit flies, waxworms, waxmoths,... not vegetables or fruit. You should also dust the food with suplements but since you did your research, I'll believe you know that along with temperatures, humidity, etc, etc.

Any doubt you might have, don't hesitate to ask.

Hope this helps.

Back
Top Bottom