My Methods Part 3 Outdoor Caging

Seeco

Avid Member
I like to do things my own way. The result is often failure, but sometimes I come up with some interesting innovations. I'll be posting a few threads of some things I have slapped together. Instead of explanatory captions I'll just answer any questions you ask. The closer you look the more you will learn. There is more on my blog.

This is a quick peak at my outdoor caging system. I'm sure it is what all of you have been wondering about. There is a lot more going on with these cages than I can present via photos... You can see the DIY mist system lines in some of the pics -- more on that later.

If you learn anything or use these methods please credit me via my profile page url. Or better yet, use it to keep and breed Kinyongia species! As with a lot of home-made stuff it the little tweaks that make it function properly so don't assume your version is safe just because it looks similar.
6555509889_af01d56ddd_b.jpg

6555511673_b0bb8f14a4_b.jpg

6555508417_97e9c7369a_b.jpg

6555505275_279440bc45_b.jpg

You ghetto SOB! Just kiddin louis.. So how do you feed? In that cup in the first picture? I can honestly say.. I've never seen anyone do it anywhere close to like that. I like how you do it "your way" and are very successful like that

Yes, ghetto to the max. I actually still use vertical tube cages for certain situations. The best thing about a circular cage is that every inch "makes sense" to the animal. By that I mean there are no baffling corners. The whole thing is a continuum. For restless animals that pace all day these cages are like giant hamster wheels. They also constantly sway in the breeze which is chameleons really need in my opinion. More on all that later.

Yeah the blue thing is a food cup like the one in "My Methods Part 2" but bigger so that I actually have a stick wedged in each so the chams can get in or out better. Screen bottom of course because I use 5 - 10 gallons of water daily for EACH animal during the warmer months...

The doors are the plastic caps on the left and right sides. The cloth is just for shade, hiding and humidity. The thick burlap is like 6 layers folded up. It releases humidity nice and slow. They are hinged at the top and a clasp to ring closes them at the bottom. Some have a sliding pin that is just a dowel that passes through the side of the lid and the mesh and out the other end but that eventually deforms the lid...

The best thing about this design is that the poop all falls through the bars. An occasional blast with a hose takes care of the rest and the cages dry out very cleanly. I originally had three of these cages on the opposite side of the wall, inside the garage, with misters going and all. More on that later too. There are a million tweaks to this setup, it is a living system, things going on that serving an important purpose that I can't even remember anymore :eek:

Yes, ghetto to the max. I actually still use vertical tube cages for certain situations. The best thing about a circular cage is that every inch "makes sense" to the animal. By that I mean there are no baffling corners. The whole thing is a continuum. For restless animals that pace all day these cages are like giant hamster wheels. They also constantly sway in the breeze which is chameleons really need in my opinion. More on all that later.

Yeah the blue thing is a food cup like the one in "My Methods Part 2" but bigger so that I actually have a stick wedged in each so the chams can get in or out better. Screen bottom of course because I use 5 - 10 gallons of water daily for EACH animal during the warmer months...

The doors are the plastic caps on the left and right sides. The cloth is just for shade, hiding and humidity. The thick burlap is like 6 layers folded up. It releases humidity nice and slow. They are hinged at the top and a clasp to ring closes them at the bottom. Some have a sliding pin that is just a dowel that passes through the side of the lid and the mesh and out the other end but that eventually deforms the lid...

The best thing about this design is that the poop all falls through the bars. An occasional blast with a hose takes care of the rest and the cages dry out very cleanly. I originally had three of these cages on the opposite side of the wall, inside the garage, with misters going and all. More on that later too. There are a million tweaks to this setup, it is a living system, things going on that serving an important purpose that I can't even remember anymore :eek:

How do you manage to use 5-10 gallons for each animal a day? I'd like to make a request of how you run your watering system.

Great ideas, and, out of the box thinking!!! Each one of these is used for two chams right? What do you use as a divider? What are the dimensions of each of these?

More like ghetto Greatness. I would not be put of by that. You are taking care of the major issues (lighting (natural UV rays), ventilation/ fresh air, humidity, drinking water, promoting natural behavior and well planted enclosures) and doing a great job of it. From what I have seen your got A's grades. If you can I would recommend going bigger with the cages.

Great ideas, and, out of the box thinking!!! Each one of these is used for two chams right? What do you use as a divider? What are the dimensions of each of these?

Each cage uses a complete roll of hardware cloth. 3 feet long with a 5 foot circumference. The scale is hard to see. The middle of the cages are actually about 7 ft off the ground.

Anyone give this a try yet?

I will be making one of these once temps get warmer here (late spring/summer), For outdoor time for my jackson. I had made one of these tube cages when I originally bought him, but gave up on it cause it was flimsy. But Ill be giving it another shot, And probably hang it like yours(Great idea). I am even hoping to get a Multi from you once I finish my reptile room!They are fascinating! :)

Awesome. Thanks for your interest!

Ever since i seen the ones in your "like father like son kinyongia" thread I have been reading up on them like crazy! I never noticed the amazing colors they actually have til then. Your threads really help and your multis are stunners.

Thanks! It should work VERY well in Key West. Just need a bit more shade and water in the summer. Do you do any outdoor caging there?

Interesting...definitely thought outside of the box for this cage idea lol I love it though! What did you use for the sides of the cages?

Hey there. The sides are vinyl coated hardware cloth. You can get it at any home depot. These cages also work inside if you connect 2 corners of a square of plastic sheeting underneath and the other 2 corners to a rubbermaid bin or drainage system.

Thanks! It should work VERY well in Key West. Just need a bit more shade and water in the summer. Do you do any outdoor caging there?

Yes all my chams spend day and if not to cold night outside i have them under a oak tree that provide them with shade and sun during the day. I think they like them.

Back
Top Bottom