My Methods Part 3 Outdoor Caging

HelOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO? How has this not started more of a discussion?

Seeco this really is a great idea. I think most of the quietness is due to it being winter. Also I would love to get pictures of a unused one so I can understand better how it's made. How it is divided? How you mount it for hanging? Being in AZ I am not sure how useful these will be but I would like to make a couple and see. Here it seems to be too dry, too hot, too cold much of the time....we have extremes:(

Hey, thanks for posting clark. I guess some more close-up photos are needed. Basically it is a whole roll of vinyl coated hardware cloth. You open it up and attach end to end with twists of plant-training coated wire. The lids are the water catchment trays you put under a large potted plant.

I will get some more pics up soon.

Thanks Secco!! I am sure once I see the details it will be obvious but, I always like to have a good handle on it before I go to Lowes ;)

We are! As you know we're have some great weather right now.i was going to build some more outdoor cages for my Jackson's but decided to hold off for a while.

We were supposed to go to Clemente this weekend for some of those big Yellowtail but the wind offshore kept use home:(

Bump for everyone enjoying the summer weather!!!!

I'm in FL, but my problem is the apartment complex....I wouldn't want to put something so nice on my 1st story patio. However let me say as someone who is a total DIY guy these are AWESOME. Such easy materials and with an even easier design, it looks really cool hanging too.

Let's just say this has me thinking, and it may not be for a few months....but I think you'll hear from me again (With pictures :cool:)

Bumping thread for awesomeness. If you guys are in the southern states this seems like a no-brainer.

Hey thanks for the bump Spawn.

Rango the blue thing in the first pic is a screen bottom feeding cup. Here is a better pic and a link to the original thread:
https://www.chameleonforums.com/my-methods-part-2-chams-gettin-busy-kitchen-72401/
6297510842_21d795d3eb_b.jpg

Great alteration to the original from Linda Davison at Sticky Tongue Farms. I like that this gives more horizontal room instead of a lot of vertical space. Only down side I see is thermal regulation, but you are in SD. I suppose you could just have misters running on hot days, or bring them inside or provide shade.

Hey misting is indeed the solution here. The thin brown hose running from the cages is my water supply. Heres a pic of a nozzle:
u2y8usus.jpg

Here us the hub for all my lines with on-off switches:
e4u4ery7.jpg

Here are my watering timers. The big black thing is a fertilizer applicator for farming but i fill it with aquarium charcoal as a filter:
yvajepyr.jpg

Just fill the green tube with aquarium charcoal for a filter:
tu6uzygu.jpg

Thanks! When it is cold half the cage can be covered in opaque plastic to create a partial greenhouse effect.

Home Depot must have discontinued the 3' X 5' in the coated wire. Went there today, they had the 24" but not the 36". Went to the website, not listed there either.:mad:

Could order it through Amazon, but the shipping is a killer.

They had a nice big roll of the 36" wide in uncoated, but I've heard of toxicity issues from the zinc, mostly in birds, but reptiles have a lot in common with birds. Not gonna chance it.

If anyone finds a source for the coated 36" rolls, please share. Or even a 48" wide would do.

These are great for sure. I found some online retailers / distributors that sell PVC coated hardware cloth in a bunch of different widths. Even up to 4' wide. Only part is that they're only selling them in 100' rolls. You could do a bunch of enclosure like this.

Back
Top Bottom