My enclosure build so far (Zen Habitats)

ccclcl

Here's my first time chameleon build so far. Open to any and all suggestions to make it better.

It's a Zen Habitats 2x2x4; the only difference is I have a second screen as the bottom for easier drainage so there's a picture of what that looks like since I know a few folks were interested. Also have some photos of the drainage tray setup I went with. I may have to switch the drain to the bottom if it gets too full before draining.

Getting the mistking heads in was the main scary part, but shoutout to @Arpretty that gave me some tips and photos which made it easy.

It's sitting on a repurposed Ikea changing table which I had lying around which I thought was pretty cool. I'll probably look at enclosing the bottom with a curtain for better anesthetics.

I'm working on a diy rail idea involving aluminum stock and magnets (to avoid drilling the panels). So I have to get that finished before I move on to branching and finish plants. Also have the fogger to set up.

Also I bought an umbrella plant which I later realized has weird large leaves and looks different that other people's. Shoukd I exchange it for one with smaller leaves?

Attachments

• 20220206_154031.jpg
    20220206_154031.jpg
    66.9 KB · Views: 120
  • 20220206_154058.jpg
    20220206_154058.jpg
    192.2 KB · Views: 109
  • 20220206_154128.jpg
    20220206_154128.jpg
    365.3 KB · Views: 115
  • 20220206_154150.jpg
    20220206_154150.jpg
    199.4 KB · Views: 112
  • 20220206_154232.jpg
    20220206_154232.jpg
    116.6 KB · Views: 115
  • 20220206_154313.jpg
    20220206_154313.jpg
    67.3 KB · Views: 113
Looking good. (y)
Open to any and all suggestions to make it better.
For your consideration: ceiling egg crate. I have it under the floor screen to better distribute weight of any pots on the floor (screen sits directly on top), and on the walls to support branches, dowels, pots, etc. and IMO, it's better than screen for climbing. ;)

1644249039964.png

1644249157226.png

Other options for branch & plant support:

Here's my first time chameleon build so far. Open to any and all suggestions to make it better.

It's a Zen Habitats 2x2x4; the only difference is I have a second screen as the bottom for easier drainage so there's a picture of what that looks like since I know a few folks were interested. Also have some photos of the drainage tray setup I went with. I may have to switch the drain to the bottom if it gets too full before draining.

Getting the mistking heads in was the main scary part, but shoutout to @Arpretty that gave me some tips and photos which made it easy.

It's sitting on a repurposed Ikea changing table which I had lying around which I thought was pretty cool. I'll probably look at enclosing the bottom with a curtain for better anesthetics.

I'm working on a diy rail idea involving aluminum stock and magnets (to avoid drilling the panels). So I have to get that finished before I move on to branching and finish plants. Also have the fogger to set up.

Also I bought an umbrella plant which I later realized has weird large leaves and looks different that other people's. Shoukd I exchange it for one with smaller leaves?
This looks really great. How did you go about getting the mistking heads in?

I‘m really tempted to go with this same idea, but I’m having a hard time with drain dray ideas since I had planned on getting a cabinet stand from Zen, too. Since the entire bottom would be screen, I’d assume the drain tray would need to be as least as wide and long as the bottom is. I’m coming up short on finding something that size, and no idea if it would fit in the cabinet 😵‍💫

Again, looks Great so far! In regards to your plant, I’m pretty sure that is a schefflera amate (or an Australia umbrella tree). It has nice big leaves and should be fine, assuming you’ll be using it for a panther chameleon. If you plan on using it with a plant muncher like a veiled chameleon, you may want to see if you can exchange it for a schefflera arboricola.

Thanks! So far I don't think so. But that's also why I went with the screen floor and drainage tray route, for more control over the system

It might be worth it to be honest. Just thinking that water from misting and what not will likely run down and get between the side panels and cause problems :)

This looks really great. How did you go about getting the mistking heads in?
I just opted to flat mount the wedges inside the enclosure. That itself was easy with some pilot holes into the frame and the provided screws, but then you have to make holes through the top aluminum screen to clear the mist heads. You could drill a small through the screen first but I ended up just using a small side cutter to snip an initial hole and then snip it out just big enough for the mist heads to shove through. Pliers and a flat head screwdriver helped flatten the displaced screen from the hole, and then the the mist head nut from the top of the screen covers it and holds everything in place. Just don't overtighten the nut from the top because its unsupported below and could pull the screen top down. Hopefully that makes sense seeing the pictures. I'm happy with it and the mist heads are secure.

I‘m really tempted to go with this same idea, but I’m having a hard time with drain dray ideas since I had planned on getting a cabinet stand from Zen, too. Since the entire bottom would be screen, I’d assume the drain tray would need to be as least as wide and long as the bottom is. I’m coming up short on finding something that size, and no idea if it would fit in the cabinet 😵‍💫
This is the drain pan I got which I found linked on these forums https://www.supplyhouse.com/sh/control/product/~product_id=6-2626L. It fits the Zen perfectly but I need to add some spacers to get the frame off the bottom a bit for better drainage. I will probably iterate on this setup overtime because basically the reason I chose the Zen is with the aluminum frame design I can add on to it like legos with pieces from a diy aluminum frame supplier. I have an idea about putting a 2x2' box directly below and integrated into this enclosure with a bioactive bottom and some dart frogs or something like that. That way moisture could drain directly from the chameleon screen bottom into that bottom enclosure and not need a drainage tray. But that's just something kicking around in my head for the future. :)
Again, looks Great so far! In regards to your plant, I’m pretty sure that is a schefflera amate (or an Australia umbrella tree). It has nice big leaves and should be fine, assuming you’ll be using it for a panther chameleon. If you plan on using it with a plant muncher like a veiled chameleon, you may want to see if you can exchange it for a schefflera arboricola.
Ah you're right, it does say amate! Thanks, this whole plant buying process has been a lot to handle

Back
Top Bottom