my chameleons colors are more vibrant when he sleeps than during the day.

Reptar88

I just received my 4 month old blue barred ambilobe panther chameleon 3 days ago. He's eaten 10 cricekts each day and I've seen him drink multiple times. His basking temps range from high 90s at top, high 70s toward the middle and mid 60s toward the bottom. Humidity is between 50-70 perecent. I mist his enclosure (2x2x4 screened) 3-4x a day. I've got him under a 15watt reptisun 5.0 uvb bulb and a 75watt zoo med basking bulb lighting schedule is 6am-6pm. I'm wondering why his coloration is darker than the first day I had him, his colors seem more vibrant when he's sleeping. Is this stress or is he cold?

I just received my 4 month old blue barred ambilobe panther chameleon 3 days ago. He's eaten 10 cricekts each day and I've seen him drink multiple times. His basking temps range from high 90s at top, high 70s toward the middle and mid 60s toward the bottom. Humidity is between 50-70 perecent. I mist his enclosure (2x2x4 screened) 3-4x a day. I've got him under a 15watt reptisun 5.0 uvb bulb and a 75watt zoo med basking bulb lighting schedule is 6am-6pm. I'm wondering why his coloration is darker than the first day I had him, his colors seem more vibrant when he's sleeping. Is this stress or is he cold?
What are his night temps? More than likely they are fine but just checking. And his colors will change throughout his life. He could look like a completely differnt chameleon in just several weeks. Also I've noticed that chams often have better colors while they sleep than during the day, unless they're fired up.

This is pretty normal for colors to be somewhat lighter or more vibrant at night when sleeping. Everything sounds right as far as your care. Usually people hold off on such a large cage until they're a little older, however, if he's eating and drinking then this shouldn't be an issue.

Jake

Thanks for the help. I'm just worried because he's my first chameleon and the first day i had him the majority of his body was bright red and his bars were a very bright blue and you could see a mix of green, yellow, blue and orange in between and he looks similar to that at night but during the day he's a dark brown and red.

Dont worry about his color too much unless he goes all dark and hides... That would be stress. My guy is avocado green with dark gray bars most of the time during the day while basking...they darken some to soak in the heat better. With my guy... you would never be able to tell his locale untill he sleeps.. then there is no mistaking the Blue bar ambilobe in him... although he is a Sambava Ambilobe cross.

Now I can rest a little easier tonight knowing my little guy is okay. What would be the best way to transport him to the vet? I'd just like to take him in for a check up and a fecal parasite exam just for peace of mind.

Where I bought him from said he is 4 months old but honestly I think he's older. He's much bigger and more colorful than most of the 4 month olds I've seen. If I had to venture a guess I'd say he's 9-10" from head to tail if it's straight.

Back
Top Bottom