My Chameleon Monitoring Website

Phatturk

Hi All,
Here is a link to my website for monitoring my little guys from work. I know it is totally overkill but it gave me a great opportunity to learn about these control systems while doing something I love. From this page I can turn on/off my lights, on/off my dripper, on/off my heater, and control my mister, at the same time I can monitor and graph temperatures and humidity levels over several days. Check it out!

http://71.201.124.132/hmi/

User: guest
Password: guest

after logging in look on the menu to the left side and under "Project Pages" click on the "Chameleons" link to view the website. To see some graphs go to "Tools" then "Trends" Sorry I disabled all the buttons for obvious reasons. Enjoy! and please don't hack my system lol

Also Isis's temperature sensors are not in the cage yet :)

I fed him 3 lobster roaches, 2 hornworms, cranked the heat up to 130 degrees, and gave him a shot of Panacur LOL!

That's an awesome setup, I wish I could do that. Makes going on a vacation pretty simple. You need to link up with VegasChad and have him whip you up some kinda robot that drops food in when you tell it to, and you could raise that thing from the click of a mouse.

Awesome! I wish I could view your chameleons though
BTW I LOVE the egyptian theme, I have been to Egypt and am a fan...

I was going to hook up a web cam for my cage. I didn't know it was possible to control heat, water, etc. Awesome set up. How much did it all cost to put together?

This is rediculously crazy and cool lol. You have to tell us how you set this up. This is bananas. I'm in shock, this would be grat for most of us due to we need to travel but its hard due to haveing to really take care of our chams. This is bonkers lol.

Can you provide info on the system you used? Ive been looking for an all in one, but the ones ive seen have all been incomplete or don't control enough of the features. It would be nice to know what you are using for one, even though I'd be looking for something that could control 4 dozen cages.

Wow I am glad you all liked my setup! Well let me tell a little story, my father owns his own business selling these control systems. I have been all over the world selling them and I just moved back to the USA about 3 months ago after 5 years abroad, anyway I really didn't build this setup as any kind of sales gimmick I just did it to learn more about the product I sell BUT this product is normally only installed in large buildings or highly sensitive areas that need precise controls. For example our controls monitor and protect George Washington's home in Mt. Vernon, McDonald's in South America, and hospitals in Australia. Here is our website www.solidyne.com

anyone who is REALLY interested in this system can email me at [email protected]

If there is a real interest I will talk with some of my coworkers and maybe we can put together a special pet care package but it would start at something close to $2000 due to the high cost of the software. But it would be able to control 8 outputs ( fans, misters, heaters, lights,ect.) and 8 inputs (humidity sensors, temperature sensors, light sensor HAHA YES UVB monitoring is possable) Keep in mind that all of your lights that have the same schedule are considered just 1 output. Same goes with misters, heaters and everything else. So 8 may sound like too few to some of you big guys but it could probably handle 100's of chameleons and if you need more you can just buy another controller. Our largest install has about 500 controllers and that mother controls a lot of shit man LOL

Hey maybe I can trade some controls for some Chameleons :rolleyes:

I actually made my entire setup with a demo board I had made in a briefcase to take on sales calls so it didn't cost me anything :eek: don't tell the boss!!

Oh I almost forgot that our products are actually made to help people save energy so actually by setting up the system and controlling your equipment in a more efficient way you can end up saving lots of cash on energy costs. I am living near Chicago and we just had a huge 30% increase in energy costs and our product saves on average 30% so my favorite saying is " SCREW YOU ENERGY COMPANIES!" For you guys who own building or pet stores and you don't have controls yet WAKE UP!!

2000 bucks sounds worth it to me. By next year I will be traveling big time. Hopefully I can save up when that happens. I'll definitely contact you when I'm ready.

This is great!! being able to graph the temperature and rainfall is amazing,i would be very interested in this system

Well I went over some numbers here at work and realized it would be around $3500 installed with training (includes my plane ticket and hotel which I may or may not need if you want me to bunk up with you thats fine also). It would be way to difficult to install yourself due to programing and web page design and things like that plus it is dangerous too because of the power needed to run the system, and lastly you need to be a certified Solidyne Dealer to install our equipment for insurance reasons. Should only take a couple of days to install and you will need a PC to run the software obviously. I have a PC here that we sell that is about 5" x 8" x 3" I can almost fit it in my pocket, and it can run all the software needed to be a web server for your control page, it costs around a Grand (I think it's $750) so it is better if you have a PC already;).

Just wanted to inform you all as I said I would. It seems to me that this system is too expensive (our products are state of the art!) but I only have 2 Chameleons :D I am more than happy to help anyone who is interested though! My email is in this thread somewhere.

I'm a huge home automation fan and work around tons of industrial automation equipment. There's no need for industrial equipment for this (unless you can get it for free).

I cannot imagine anything that you would need to do as far as chameleon care that could not be done with HomeSeer, Z-Wave control modules (appliance for the misting & fluorescent, lamp for the heat lamp), and whatever kind of monitors you want for temperature and humidity (1-Wire would work really well). There are interfaces for practically everything sensor related.

What do you want it to do?

Lighting control that automatically adjusts for local sunrise/sunset? Piece of cake, thirty seconds to set up. Want the heat lamp to slowly fade up to simulate sunrise, then turn on the fluorescent? Simple.

Want to serve webpages? Check! Want to have it automatically mist when the humidity gets low? Check!

Control it with your voice by phone from anywhere? Check! Control and monitor it from your Media Center PC or even your TiVo? Sure, no problem.

If you already have a PC, it's only $300 to get started with the software and a Z-Wave interface/master controller. Oh yeah, and it can also control your entire house, security system, read your Outlook Appointments to you, get all of the local movie times, monitor your house for spoken voice commands, etc.

It just depends on how much hardware and plug-in software you want to buy to go with it.

Last edited:
Your setup is state of the art that is for sure. I was looking at using X10 home automation for my chams setup. Has anyone here every tried this?

Oh and the link doesn't seem to be working for me, is it an issue at my end maybe?

You can certainly use X-10, too. There's a lot of software out there that supports it (including HomeSeer). That's what I used initially.

However, after dealing with the hassles with it for years, I was so happy to start moving towards ZWave. Since X-10 is powerline based, you have to worry about whether or not the transmitter and receiver are on the same phase in the house. ZWave is wireless and each node is bidirectional and a repeater.

...and no, the link wasn't working a few days ago.

You can certainly use X-10, too. There's a lot of software out there that supports it (including HomeSeer). That's what I used initially.

However, after dealing with the hassles with it for years, I was so happy to start moving towards ZWave. Since X-10 is powerline based, you have to worry about whether or not the transmitter and receiver are on the same phase in the house. ZWave is wireless and each node is bidirectional and a repeater.

...and no, the link wasn't working a few days ago.

I'll look into zwave. I live in an apt. so being on the same phase and since everything will be plugged into pretty much the same outlet I don't think I will have issues with being on the wrong phase. thanks for the tip.

Back
Top Bottom