My Chameleon Evolution

As a few of you have seen, I have posted some threads for some tips for raising a chameleon. I am planning to get one in the middle of December and I can't wait. This isn't the first time I've had chameleons as I had two when I was a kid and they were so special to me and loved them. I had Jacksons the first time around and will getting a Jackson the second time around as well.

Somehow over the last month or so, I came up with the idea of getting another chameleon. I have gotten these ideas a few times over the years but this is the first time I've had the financial commitment to actually getting the cage and getting the chameleon.

My supplies list goes as follows:
18x18x36 Screen Cage (Already Purchased)
Plants and Branches (Obviously)
Misting System and Fogging System (Ordering in a week)
5.0 UVB 15 Watt
50 watt basking bulb (Already Purchased)
Temp and Humid Gauge

So far, I have a Pothos at the bottom of my cage and a dracaena going up to the top. I will be looking to put in some branches and possibly another plant (likely Ficus). I am still wondering what to use for a draining system. Would towels on the bottom of the cage be able to soak up the water? What other simple systems are there? Tips would be appeciated.

I will be using this thread to show the evolution of my process with pictures of getting the chameleon and when I do get one, raising it, and it will be a cool thing to look back at over time. Can't wait to hear from you guys and get my journey rolling.
20171128_174647.jpg

As far as misting and drainage what I did is bought a hard plastic garage shelf and drilled holes into it and the same holes in the bottom piece of the cage which are replaceable to no damage done there. I then bend the bottoms piece as much possible so it can still fit in. I have a mistking which is great and i recommend. I use a wide storage bin which fits under to catch the water and I dump out every so often I think it looks fit to do so. I will include pics. I don’t have a pic of when the actual mistking was all put together but I’ll take one later. This is just what I do I’m pretty sure there a million other ways maybe better than mine.

Attachments

• C9E0391D-EC91-4459-92FA-4C2916AA3491.jpeg
    C9E0391D-EC91-4459-92FA-4C2916AA3491.jpeg
    225.5 KB · Views: 203
Here’s my full setup with some dirty water don’t mind that lol

Attachments

• E94A9E5F-6D1B-4C21-B702-AD801FA7EFA9.jpeg
    E94A9E5F-6D1B-4C21-B702-AD801FA7EFA9.jpeg
    196.3 KB · Views: 214
20171204_200835.jpg 20171204_200805.jpg 20171204_200754.jpg

Check up on how my cage is doing... I got a schefflera, the basking lamp and bulb (50 watt), the flourscent linear bulb (Still need the fixture to hold it), and the fogger. Everything so far seems to be working great... we will be recieving the fixture, a mister, in the next few days.

The table I bought will allow water to pass through the bottom and collect inside a tub in the first ledge. At the bottom of the table, I will keep a high tub to hold dubia roaches. I will be purchasing the Jackson chameleon in a week or two. Any suggested sites? Right now, I'm leaning toward Flchams but still open to options.

Is there any problems with the set up? Any feedback would be appreciated!

View attachment 195882 View attachment 195883 View attachment 195884

Check up on how my cage is doing... I got a schefflera, the basking lamp and bulb (50 watt), the flourscent linear bulb (Still need the fixture to hold it), and the fogger. Everything so far seems to be working great... we will be recieving the fixture, a mister, in the next few days.

The table I bought will allow water to pass through the bottom and collect inside a tub in the first ledge. At the bottom of the table, I will keep a high tub to hold dubia roaches. I will be purchasing the Jackson chameleon in a week or two. Any suggested sites? Right now, I'm leaning toward Flchams but still open to options.

Looks good by fluorescent you mean uvb and heat bulb correct? And everything looks really good, shows me up for sure haha great job. Idk about the fogged you’ll be fine with the mister unless you really need it for humidity. I recommend MistKing as of buying one I was on Lllreptile.com earlier and I know they have babies in stock right now and he’s fichams is great also. I know someone on the forums just hatched some Jackson’s also.

View attachment 195882 View attachment 195883 View attachment 195884

Also you have a bucket where the tube and traveling water will go?

Looks good by fluorescent you mean uvb and heat bulb correct? And everything looks really good, shows me up for sure haha great job. Idk about the fogged you’ll be fine with the mister unless you really need it for humidity. I recommend MistKing as of buying one I was on Lllreptile.com earlier and I know they have babies in stock right now and he’s fichams is great also. I know someone on the forums just hatched some Jackson’s also.
Also you have a bucket where the tube and traveling water will go?

I do have the bucket, I was actually washing it but I won't need it until I get the mister. And yeah, I meant UVB. I get mixed because they go in the same fixtures.
I'm planning on getting one a bit older than a baby (around 6 months) and I messaged LLLReptile to see if they were CB or WC and the Jackson's are WC (the panther and veileds are CB) so I don't want to take any risk though they likely make sure they are healthy and FLchams does have CBs at 6 months so it looks like the best option so far.
The Jackson's seem pretty specific to humidity so just made sure there is good levels of humidity just in case.
Thanks for the help!

I do have the bucket, I was actually washing it but I won't need it until I get the mister. And yeah, I meant UVB. I get mixed because they go in the same fixtures.
I'm planning on getting one a bit older than a baby (around 6 months) and I messaged LLLReptile to see if they were CB or WC and the Jackson's are WC (the panther and veileds are CB) so I don't want to take any risk though they likely make sure they are healthy and FLchams does have CBs at 6 months so it looks like the best option so far.
The Jackson's seem pretty specific to humidity so just made sure there is good levels of humidity just in case.
Thanks for the help!
Oh I didn’t know they were WC. Well good luck hope Flchams has some beautiful babies for you!

As a few of you have seen, I have posted some threads for some tips for raising a chameleon. I am planning to get one in the middle of December and I can't wait. This isn't the first time I've had chameleons as I had two when I was a kid and they were so special to me and loved them. I had Jacksons the first time around and will getting a Jackson the second time around as well.

Somehow over the last month or so, I came up with the idea of getting another chameleon. I have gotten these ideas a few times over the years but this is the first time I've had the financial commitment to actually getting the cage and getting the chameleon.

My supplies list goes as follows:
18x18x36 Screen Cage (Already Purchased)
Plants and Branches (Obviously)
Misting System and Fogging System (Ordering in a week)
5.0 UVB 15 Watt
50 watt basking bulb (Already Purchased)
Temp and Humid Gauge

So far, I have a Pothos at the bottom of my cage and a dracaena going up to the top. I will be looking to put in some branches and possibly another plant (likely Ficus). I am still wondering what to use for a draining system. Would towels on the bottom of the cage be able to soak up the water? What other simple systems are there? Tips would be appeciated.

I will be using this thread to show the evolution of my process with pictures of getting the chameleon and when I do get one, raising it, and it will be a cool thing to look back at over time. Can't wait to hear from you guys and get my journey rolling. View attachment 195476
I gonna be that guy and said if your are talking about the growth of the chameleon. then it is not evolution. evolution does not occur in one single individual. what this would be is ontogeny. the more you know lol. but do you currently have a chamelon?

ahhhhhhh!

Dont worry, I thought it was a pokemon that evolved.

To the OP, I dont know if someone already said (i skimmed through the posts quickly) but I would definitely ad more vines. My adult male veileds cage is set up similarly. 48" tall cage with the same plants you have and a ton of climbing vines.

To the OP, I dont know if someone already said (i skimmed through the posts quickly) but I would definitely ad more vines. My adult male veileds cage is set up similarly. 48" tall cage with the same plants you have and a ton of climbing vines.

Thanks for the input!

Dont worry, I thought it was a pokemon that evolved.

I was planning on getting some more branches and possibly one more plant... but braches should be enough

All of have left to purchase is a UVB light holder, a misting system, temperature gauges, branches, and, of course, the chameleon.

I was planning on getting some more branches and possibly one more plant... but braches should be enough

All of have left to purchase is a UVB light holder, a misting system, temperature gauges, branches, and, of course, the chameleon.
I think you mentioned this before, but what subspecies are you going to get?

Back
Top Bottom