My Chameleon Evolution

My last decisions for my chameleon is feeding. I'm so far planning to feeding him mealworms, hornworms, and proper sized dubia roaches. I'm not looking to feed him crickets as they smell horrible, they escape easy, and just an overall pain for me (from past experience)...
Is there any of the common feeders to stay away from? People say worms cause impaction (not sure if it's true). Is there certain worms that don't cause impactions or are great feeders?
What other feeders are there that are simple to keep and great for variety? Is there any commercial gutloading products that are great to feed to my feeders?

I have read a lot on the supplementation (vitamins) and calcium use (D3 and no D3) and I have a good grasp on that. Could I put the calcium and vitamins (when I need to supplement them) in the gutload or dust it on the feeder? I think putting it in the gutload would be easier but I'm not sure if it would work. Thanks for the help so far, I appreciate it!!

Mealworms can cause impactions due to their tougher exo skeleton. Superworms can be given as a treat on occasion since they are a poor staple feeder. Silk worms, from what Ive read, are great feeders all around. I havent had any experience with them though.

Dubia roaches are a great feeder too if you can get you cham to eat them. My veiled loses interest in them once they stop moving around which they do alot... They are easy to keep and dont smell at all not to mention they cant climb smooth surfaces like critter keepers and some storage containers so no escapees.

As for commercial gutload, I use bug burger or cricket crack. I also throw in fresh dandelion green, kale, carrot, apple slices, and squash. The commercial stuff is good but nothing beats fresh veggies and fruits. Good thing with the veggies is that you dont need to keep any sources of hydration in the feeder enclosures since the feeders will get their hydration from the veggies and fruits.

As far as supplementation for Jacksons, Im not much help there unfortunately.

Mealworms can cause impactions due to their tougher exo skeleton. Superworms can be given as a treat on occasion since they are a poor staple feeder. Silk worms, from what Ive read, are great feeders all around. I havent had any experience with them though.

Dubia roaches are a great feeder too if you can get you cham to eat them. My veiled loses interest in them once they stop moving around which they do alot... They are easy to keep and dont smell at all not to mention they cant climb smooth surfaces like critter keepers and some storage containers so no escapees.

As for commercial gutload, I use bug burger or cricket crack. I also throw in fresh dandelion green, kale, carrot, apple slices, and squash. The commercial stuff is good but nothing beats fresh veggies and fruits. Good thing with the veggies is that you dont need to keep any sources of hydration in the feeder enclosures since the feeders will get their hydration from the veggies and fruits.

As far as supplementation for Jacksons, Im not much help there unfortunately.

Thanks for the help!

Just a quick question ... I see that the Jacksons require 60-80% humidity. Can they go over that percentage or would it harm them?

My cage is now one step to complete. I just need the light fixture to hold the UVB bulb, which was been an absolute pain to get. We have finally ordered it online and still aren't sure if it's the right one. Anyways... I finally will be purchasing my Jackson in about a week. :D

In one of the pictures, the bin below the cages keeps the dainage of water while the black bin will be for our feeders. The other pictures

The cage runs very well as I have test run it for the past few days. The basking spot reaches 79 and 80 (with the UVB, I'm guessing will probs get to 81 or 82) and the humidity in the rainy part of the cage is 70% with around 68 degrees. At night, the temp drops to around 65. I'm not sure whether to keep the humidifier and misting on at night but I assume to do so.

Thanks for all of the help guys! I'm so excited to finally purchase my chameleon!!!
20171218_141316.jpg 20171218_141328.jpg 20171218_141248 (1).jpg

My cage is now one step to complete. I just need the light fixture to hold the UVB bulb, which was been an absolute pain to get. We have finally ordered it online and still aren't sure if it's the right one. Anyways... I finally will be purchasing my Jackson in about a week. :D

In one of the pictures, the bin below the cages keeps the dainage of water while the black bin will be for our feeders. The other pictures

The cage runs very well as I have test run it for the past few days. The basking spot reaches 79 and 80 (with the UVB, I'm guessing will probs get to 81 or 82) and the humidity in the rainy part of the cage is 70% with around 68 degrees. At night, the temp drops to around 65. I'm not sure whether to keep the humidifier and misting on at night but I assume to do so.

Thanks for all of the help guys! I'm so excited to finally purchase my chameleon!!!
View attachment 196574 View attachment 196575 View attachment 196576
Looks great! I would rearrange the vines a little, and make sure the humidity is high. Sorry, I forgot, but where are you getting him from again?

Back
Top Bottom