My Bioactive Enclosure Build (Panther chameleon)

I'll have to take a look! I vaguely recall you mentioning phone macro lenses before. It'd definitely be good to have... my phone is excellent for distance shots, but just won't focus on anything nearby!

Mine is the same. I take a pic as zoomed in as I can with it focused and then crop it to blow it up.

Got a quick question: any idea if it would be safe to pull up some of this moss and use it after a good soak? It's very hardy, covers ground like mad, and survives in all sorts of weather here! No pesticides used on or near the property. I thought it'd be neat to try and attach it to the background or something :)

20190405_134848.jpg
20190405_134959.jpg

I found a pretty awesome deadfall branch on my walk that I'm excited to use! I believe it's from a horse chestnut (there were a lot of trees, hard to tell) and has just over a 4ft spread, bit over 1" diameter at the thickest point. I also recieved probably 30ft of organic grapevine (1/2" - 1/4") from my aunt. Getting there!! :D

20190405_135302.jpg

20190405_135621.jpg

Got a quick question: any idea if it would be safe to pull up some of this moss and use it after a good soak? It's very hardy, covers ground like mad, and survives in all sorts of weather here! No pesticides used on or near the property. I thought it'd be neat to try and attach it to the background or something :)

View attachment 227931View attachment 227932
I watched a video on YouTube of someone collecting and using moss from the wild. You have to do lots of clean soaks to get it safe for the cage.

The wild isopods that I collected seem to be settling in well - especially the smaller, younger ones! I appear to have mostly pillbugs, and a couple sowbugs. I also have a few tiny millipedes that are hanging out in there. Hopefully they'll all acclimate well and start making me some babies! (y)

(Ignore the white fluff in the one picture - my cockatoo gets feather particles everywhere!)

Attachments

• 20190407_170933.jpg
    20190407_170933.jpg
    213.1 KB · Views: 283
  • 20190407_172510.jpg
    20190407_172510.jpg
    239.7 KB · Views: 263
  • 20190407_172543.jpg
    20190407_172543.jpg
    143.6 KB · Views: 317
  • 20190407_171340.jpg
    20190407_171340.jpg
    214.2 KB · Views: 280
  • 20190407_171405.jpg
    20190407_171405.jpg
    165.3 KB · Views: 276
I took a short hike around, and found a few more good looking CuC when I was poking through a stump. I love the bold yellow markings on that pillbug!

20190412_085310.jpg

The colony seems to be doing well, though the pillbugs have completely outcompeted the sowbugs. I only found one sowbug alive - the rest were dead and chewed on. The millipedes are all still there, though, so maybe they'll coexist in peace! If not I can set up a second little bin for them. I'd like to go and forage a few more anyway! I'll take a trip to the woods sometime this weekend with sample collecting supplies haha!

Aha! Thanks Dshuld! They're pretty cool looking, with their flattened bodies. Much faster moving/more active than the pillbugs! I must have ththe parameters wrong for them, though, as they're dying off shockingly fast. :( oh well... at least the pillbugs are doing great! (y)

Aha! Thanks Dshuld! They're pretty cool looking, with their flattened bodies. Much faster moving/more active than the pillbugs! I must have ththe parameters wrong for them, though, as they're dying off shockingly fast. :( oh well... at least the pillbugs are doing great! (y)

http://steelcutcollaborations.com/asellus/ if anything I really would've thought they'd have outcompeted the A. Vulgare vs the other way around. The skirted are a longer living species that isn't picky on what it eats and has even been seen eating the hair/ fuzzy mold other species wont touch. That link has an interesting comment on "faking being dead". They aren't as prolific as other species of isos but worth trying to save them if you can.

http://steelcutcollaborations.com/asellus/ if anything I really would've thought they'd have outcompeted the A. Vulgare vs the other way around. The skirted are a longer living species that isn't picky on what it eats and has even been seen eating the hair/ fuzzy mold other species wont touch. That link has an interesting comment on "faking being dead". They aren't as prolific as other species of isos but worth trying to save them if you can.

Oh geez, wonder if they were faking it?! They were super convincing if they were! :eek: I'll set up a separate tub for them this weekend and see what happens. I really like them - super active and voracious eaters! They absolutely demolished some Bug Burger I set in the culture.

You're a lifesaver!

Oh geez, wonder if they were faking it?! They were super convincing if they were! :eek: I'll set up a separate tub for them this weekend and see what happens. I really like them - super active and voracious eaters! They absolutely demolished some Bug Burger I set in the culture.

You're a lifesaver!

They are one species I want to add to my collection still. Kind of jealous you have them wild by you hahaha. I've had some of the species I do have play dead but not overly convincing on it lol.. Try morning wood too. I like to mix the two together in a 1:2 or 1:3 ratio of bb to mw.

They are one species I want to add to my collection still. Kind of jealous you have them wild by you hahaha. I've had some of the species I do have play dead but not overly convincing on it lol.. Try morning wood too. I like to mix the two together in a 1:2 or 1:3 ratio of bb to mw.

I have some Morning Wood on the way as we speak! It should be in by early next week at the latest. (y)

The O. Asellus don't seem to be nearly as common around here as the A. Vulgare of course, but they definitely can be found if I'm quick! They seem to frequent some of the old rotting willow stumps down by the creek. I'd offer to send you some, but I assume you're in the states and I have no idea what sort of hassles there would be shipping live insects. :(

I'll try to set them up with their own colony, though, and see if I can get any action. :)

I love a good thread in the morning lol. Nice isopod finds btw

And thank you haha! I really like them. I'm lucky to live in an area with so many good foraging locations! Hopefully I can go feeder hunting in the summer; i know the area is frequented by Carolina locusts and a few varieties of katydids!

I have some Morning Wood on the way as we speak! It should be in by early next week at the latest. (y)

The O. Asellus don't seem to be nearly as common around here as the A. Vulgare of course, but they definitely can be found if I'm quick! They seem to frequent some of the old rotting willow stumps down by the creek. I'd offer to send you some, but I assume you're in the states and I have no idea what sort of hassles there would be shipping live insects. :(

I'll try to set them up with their own colony, though, and see if I can get any action. :)

Awesome. The yellow one I hope makes it and breeds for you. The color morphs can be pretty interesting. My colonies go nuts on pure mw not so much on pure bb. They do tolerate the mix of the two in those ratios though lol. Yes I'm in Florida and not sure what the hassles would be but probably not worth the headaches of trying I'm sure lol. I appreciate the thought though for sure :).

Wow what kind of thread did I click on this morning :ROFLMAO::LOL::ROFLMAO::LOL:
Clearly the best kind! :LOL::ROFLMAO:
I’m dead lol :LOL::ROFLMAO::LOL::ROFLMAO:
Oh my God, wow I need caffeine! :ROFLMAO:

:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Back
Top Bottom