Mulberry Farms silkworm "problem"

Laragail

Just got an order in from Mulberry Farms, including some silkworms, and found wet letter (yes it was wet for some reason) buried at the bottom of the box.

It says:

We have recently become aware of an issue with some of our silkworms. We think we have the problem solved; however, if you do happen to have a problem with these silkworms, please let us know as soon as possible so we can take further measures with our silkworm production and complete your order satisfactorily.

Now I am afraid to feed these guys, as I don't know what kind of "problem" they could be having.

any input?

They had a problem with a naturaul virus that killed off many of their silkworms. They said it would not harm your pet, but kill alot of silkworms. This happens in nature all the time in order to bring down the population of silkworms. I've been buying silkworms from mullberry farms and I've haven't had any problems with my batch of worms.

My friend just got an order of silkies from there last week and got the same letter in his box!! I advised him to toss them out, why take a chance with your beloved cham!! I told him to order from Coastal Silkworms instead and he just got the order today and is very pleased!!

that's a relief,

they should have just said what kind of problem they were having in the letter!

I think I'll hold on to them for a few days just in case,

thanks!

This does seem to happen occasionally and is not exclusive to Mulberry Farms. I have been buying from them and other silkworm sources for a couple years now. You may be able to find more info on previous cases by searching the forum.

My friend just got an order of silkies from there last week and got the same letter in his box!! I advised him to toss them out, why take a chance with your beloved cham!! I told him to order from Coastal Silkworms instead and he just got the order today and is very pleased!!

Hmm.. and you told him to order from Coastal instead because you think that Coastal has a virus free connection that isn't the exact same one that Mulberry Farms uses?

Hey Heika, I am selling a new strain of worms now to the public that no one else has in the US the worms are very healthy. Try going to silkwormwholesale.com and give them a try

Hmm.. and you told him to order from Coastal instead because you think that Coastal has a virus free connection that isn't the exact same one that Mulberry Farms uses?

I never said anything about being virus free, I simply told him to order from Coastal because their not having a problem at this point in time. I have an account with Mulberry Farms as well I just go with which ever one has better deals and no problems!!

Last edited:
Hey Heika, I am selling a new strain of worms now to the public that no one else has in the US the worms are very healthy. Try going to silkwormwholesale.com and give them a try

Really, Pam! That is great. Are the eggs I received from you in my last order from that strain?

hmm. could it be seasonal? I have ordered and successfully cycled several generations from both suppliers and never had a die off. Suddenly this generation (which was overcrowded because of eggs hatched before I could cool them) is feeding and growing as usual but also dying at the rate of 5-10%/day. Very weird.

I just got my order today from Mulberry of 200 small silkworms. All looked to be very healthy and I am very happy with the order. In the past I have always ordered my Silks from Coastal with only having purchased Butterworms from Mulberry. I have been very pleased with both places.

Personally, I use silkwormwholesale.com.

Have never had a single problem with the quality, price or customer service. Excellent all around.

The eggs I sell are from China. That is where all the eggs sold in the US come from to the best of my knowledge. Their are only 2 of us that import into the U.S. as far as I know. But I have found another country that I buy eggs from that I use for the business to grow the worms I sell. They seem to be much stronger so it ships with little or no loss of worms. I may start offering the eggs to the public but they cost double the price. If you want to try some let me know on your next order!

The eggs I sell are from China. That is where all the eggs sold in the US come from to the best of my knowledge.

just curious - why does your website say they are from Japan?

Just an FYI, although China is known to have originally cultivated (and now domesticated so there are none in the wild - this is why they cannot fly) there has been at some point in the industry's history rearing in several countries, including England, Greece, India.

I know this is an older thread but came across it while replying to PukaKeha's current dilemma.

lele

Hey lele,
Pam was selling eggs from China she recently switched to a strain of worms from Japan. She says there much stronger .

Back
Top Bottom