moving chameleon

lizzleberry

hi,
thinking about moving pascal into a bigger flex,
he's in a 38 gallon one at the moment, still tiny (he's grown a bit, but he can still fit comfortably on my little finger) about 3 months old. he doesnt ever try and get out or appear restless, most of the day he sits basking, or hiding round the corner where he thinks i cant see him. i wanted to move him for christmas because i now have a surface the same size as the bottom of a 100 gallon flexarium, unfortunately the 100 gallon flexarium is higher than my ceiling (when on the surface i have) but the 65 which is the same height as what he already has, just twice the length, would fit nicely, with enough room for his lights which are stuck to the wall. so im thinking this would be the best thing for him, if once he is full sized it isnt big enough i'll have to find away round my low ceiling and get the bigger flex, but as i said, he's still pretty tiny.
so would it be a good idea to start moving him out,
his 38 gallon is covered in holes (droped the heat light on it when setting it up, all sorts of stupid things ive done) and generally isnt that great so itd be nice for me to see him somewhere nicer,
i have read that chameleons get friendlier when they have more room, pascal is a grumpy piece of work at the moment, still cant figure out his biting technique but he's on it, so if it'll cheer him up, thatd be great.
also with his set up
should he have lots of plants, he has a bunch hanging from his bendy vines and a coleus on the floor and that seems like enough, but i worry he gets bored, he seems to have a routine going and doesnt do a lot, if he has the right amount of stuff would he be out exploring or something?
anyhoo
ay adivce would be great because i want him to be a bit happier than he is
he is totally healthy, eats, sleeps, hisses, basks etc.
thanks
liz

If you want to make him happier, really the best thing for him would be to hand feed him all of his food for a while so he looses his fear of you. After a while of hand feeding, when he sees you he will approach the front of the cage looking for a hand-out instead of hiding from you round the corner where he thinks you cannot see him.

Personally, this is just me, I would continue to use the 38 until he is a little larger because it makes everything easier for him and because he is still so small (finding food, water, heat and uvb). I still have my 6-7 week old hatchlings in a 38 gallon reptarium in groups of 10 and you can see they are pretty large- I'll probably start seperating the ones I do not sell sometime this next month into larger enclosures.

photo taken yesterday-

veileds.jpg

Sounds like yours may be a bit smaller which is fine, I'm just showing photo to give you an idea of how large mine are and still doing great as a group in a 38 gallon.

On the other hand, it isn't a life or death choice to move yours up vs keep him in his 38. He will probably do well either way. But another consideration is that the larger terrarium will give him more room to hide from you and possibly make hand feeding a little trickier until he grows a bit larger...

Back
Top Bottom