Mold on eggs

GooglezNvincent

I have been told many different things on what to do when an egg gets some fuzz on it. Other than leaving it alone what can i put on it to kill the mold but not harm the eggs if its still viable?

If it has mold on it then it probably isn't viable.

I have heard on multiple occasions of chams hatching out of moldy eggs, so thats what is so confusing, there are 3 eggs that have mold on the that are big and white so i am not sure what to do.

How? just wipe it off. I don't know how sensitive the eggs are. Just want to be exact on knowing what to do before I just go in there and mess something up.

You'll need the Binford 5000 pressure washer.

Think about this for a second... you have mold... eggs will go bad with mold. Either the eggs aren't viable so they are molding over or you have too much moisture in there and if you don't do anything, they won't be any good.

So the way I see it, what do you have to lose?

alright ill get in there lol. You also answered my other question, if i put too much water in the verm. ill put less next time i have a clutch.

You CAN bail the eggs out if it's too wet. Just keep the moldy side up (hehehe). Have a new container all ready, make little craters for the eggs, pick an egg up, hold it over the old container, brush the top lightly with a toothbrush, and place in new container. Or get a sandblaster and just freaking go to town on that mold!

Remove the eggs and place them in a different container. Take a dry q-tip and try and get the mold off. Usually mold=death or infertile, but in some cases you may be lucky. You would for sure want to take them out so the mold doesn't spread to the other eggs.

-Clemonde

To follow up on this, I wanted to let everyone know that I let my last clutch of panther eggs mold. I thought they were gonners. However, when I went to discard them, I checked to see if the purple/grey/black mold that formed over ALL of the eggs had killed them.

To my surprise, I cleaned each egg off, by running them under lukewarm water and scrubbing. They were all perfect underneath the mold. Before I cleaned them off, they were COMPLETELY covered, you could not see any egg.

I have been using a peroxide/water dilution to spray the eggs and I have found that this is working to keep any repeat mold off of the eggs. I use 1/4 peroxide to 3/4 water, sprayed daily.

Don't give up on moldy eggs~!

-Scott

Hi, I recently have had my eggs hatch, Though i also had a problem with white mold about 1mth before hatching. I simply took a warm damp cloth and wiped it off the eggs 1by1 being careful to replace them the way i found them and doing it with the lights dimmed. They have all nearly hatched now so didnt cause any harm to them. Just a idea that worked for me!

Back
Top Bottom