Mbd!!!!!!!!

How do you know that you won't cause more damage/break the bones further trying to splint the leg yourself instead of taking it to a vet?

You need to get the nutrients back in balance as quickly as possible to prevent further problems IMHO and the vet can do that the quickest too. The chameleon can be given calcium injections to bring the calcium back in line and then a shot of calcitonin to draw the calcium rapidly back into the bones/

Calcium imbalance causes other problems in the chameleon's system too...so IMHO it needs to be done ASAP.

Also...as I already explained you need to correct your husbandry so that once the nutrients are back in balance they stay there so it won't happen again.

Also...when I asked what bulb you are using I meant to ask what bulb you were using before you got the Reptisun 10.

Here's a site that might help you find a vet...
http://www.yext.com/vets/services/reptiles/wy/

what are you talking about the pregnant chameleon or the one with mbd. the are no vets that have any experence with reptiles here.

i dont know if i will cause any more damage this is my only option Wyoming is a crappy state. also i was was nevertold i needed a ubv bulb only a day basking light i have been doing a lot or reasearch thats how i found out it was MBD. i have started giving her calcium with d3 vitimins and some other stuff i found out to help with mbd over the internet

Below the knee....

Kinyongia......we have suggested that a vet is needed. We are being told it's not possible to find a reptile vet in that area. Perhaps that may change. In the interim we are trying to get the calcium situation resolved and get the leg stabilized so it is not damaged any more than it already is.

ok thanks ill just go above the knee then. on my new avatar you might be able to see the bump on the front leg other than the two left legs the others look good.

On the back left leg you want it below the knee and above the foot. This is a pretty serious case. A vet really would be best. What part of Wyoming are you in? Maybe there is another experienced keeper in the area that knows of a vet or can help you figure out the splinting. Please post your city in Montana for us. Can you take a picture from the top that shows her back and her legs coming out from the sides? They we can see the shape of the upper legs too.

Also, you must make sure she does not fall and don't pull any limbs while getting her out of her cage. More bones can break. Although at this point it's not actually like a break you think of with a human leg bone that gets set. Her bones are now spongy. The breaks are actually lots of tiny fractures. Probably not one clean break like a solid bone would make. She is very prone to receiving more injury if not handled carefully.

You have to get above the curve on this right away. There is also a syrup called Calcium Globianate that is sold in real good drug stores. It's over the counter and used to supplement pregnant and senior women. They only sell it in huge bottles but it's inexpensive. I have it on hand for gravid females. It is easily absorbed by the body and then passes out the kidneys without damage. You can't overdose her on it. I'd give her 5 ml of it each day by syringe. My vet gave it to me for the Ambanja I had the problem with. He also said I could use it safely on all my gravid females during the last week to give them a good blood calcium level at the critical point in time. It's worked very well for me. Keep us updated.

Last edited:
Another thought.....

Another thought....If you really can't get her to a vet and feel this whole situation is out of your ability to resolve you can pay to have her shipped overnight to me. I will do whatever is necessary to correctly treat her. I have a great vet and the ability to do whatever treatment is needed. Just a thought.

the new avatar is a picture is a picture chameleon that i believe may pregnant. also Rock Springs Wyoming is my location a small town far west.

im going to try to go salt lake city Utah on monday thats the closest big city that would have good vets i just dont want to take him to just any vet i want the best care for him not just a vet that would do a cheep job that wont help him.

So what IS wrong....

So what is wrong with him. Why does he have bowed legs and a leg that looks broken. Something serious is wrong. What did the vet say?

Because he was eating so much calcium and vitamin A it was causing his bones to make cro start creating extra bone on top of the old bone his Leg weren't bowed it was just the new bone. Now he can only eat fruit and vegies for a while untill the new bone deteriorates.

Because he was eating so much calcium and vitamin A it was causing his bones to make cro start creating extra bone on top of the old bone his Leg weren't bowed it was just the new bone. Now he can only eat fruit and vegies for a while untill the new bone deteriorates.

chameleons can't just live on veggies. They are eat bugs. I don't know about that other stuff, but that doesn't sound right to me. Did they do an x-Ray?

I would definitely get a second vets opinion. I have never see a cham that is getting too much calcium and vit a that has an obvious bow in the legs like that. Even if bone was growing on top the leg bone it wouldn't be almost z shaped like that, it would still be straight on one side with a slight bulge on the other. You must have been either giving him crickets that looked like white balls of dust if he is that young and already has bone growth on top of legit bones. It takes bones quite some time to grow so I do not think this vet is correct. I would take him to another just incase. Like pshh said a cham won't grow healthily or even maintain its weight on just fruits and veggies. There is no chitin in that kind of diet to clean out the stomach and intestines so gut rot or sepsis could be an issue. hats why people ' feed solely silkworms and hornworms, somethings gotta push all that worm goo out of the stomach. Did the vet say he has much experience in chameleons? Good luck, and please try another vet.

Justin

Hmmmm.....

If you were actually told this your vet is not qualified to treat reptiles. It's classic MBD. Excess calcium and vitamin A supplementation does not present with those symptoms. Extra "bone" does not grow on top of normal bone causing it to bow. If a chameleon did have the symptoms indicating excess supplementation, the vet would tell you to cut the supplements and do extra hydration. They would NEVER, and I do mean, NEVER tell you to feed him fruit and veggies until the "bone" deteriorates. That's the most ridiculous "advise" that anyone could give you, if a vet did indeed advise you in that way. You will kill your chameleon if you do that. I don't know what is really going on with you. My advise to you remains the same. Get your chameleon to a competent vet or give it to someone who will tend to it properly. My offer to care for it if you ship it to me is still open.

Back
Top Bottom