Itchy skin bumps

Zikush

Hi, I’m really frustrated because my 3.5 year old suffers from itchy skin bumps and I don’t know what is the cause.
Can anybody please help? There are small bumps on the lower part of his body
(Before anybody mentions how he sits on me, he is a rescue and from some reason loves being held, nothing is against his will)

Attachments

• B8B206EB-96C5-442C-B284-F9DDDCA81E22.jpeg
    B8B206EB-96C5-442C-B284-F9DDDCA81E22.jpeg
    132.4 KB · Views: 6
Hi. I’m not going to say anything about him sitting on you. I have some chams that are like Velcro at times. However, I will ask about his coloring. I have to question that he is indeed a male panther chameleon, yes? Has he always been this grey color? If so, are you certain he’s a he? Are you able to get better pics of his itchy spots? I have nothing but questions, such as where did you get him from? How long have you had him? Do you know if he’s been around other reptiles? Can you post some pics of his entire enclosure, including lights and floor? I also want to ask you to answer the standard husbandry questionnaire, but let’s start with just these for now.

Hi, thank you for replying! He is a common chameleon that’s why it’s so hard to find information online.
I’ve had him since he was a little baby, we live in a small town near forests in Israel so we encounter chameleons all the time. He was a tiny baby and his hand was missing a finger and wasn’t functioning, it was also freezing winter so we took him to the vet who told us how to take care of him for the next week and then set him free in the wild. Long story short - he was very friendly and the vet said she never saw anything like him and that if we set him free he probably won’t make it. I studied chameleons to make sure he will get the best life possible and he lives happily in a big enclosure (1 meter wide and 1.70 tall) with no other reptiles. our vet came to see it and said it was great.
We are certain about him being a male, this is his regular color. He eats regularly and everything is fine except for these bumps that showed up a couple of days ago - they only started itching now. I’ll take him to the vet tomorrow but I wanted to check if this happend to anyone here before. He loves to shove his tail in my shirt and I also have tiny red itchy bumps, I only now think it may be related?

Hi, thank you for replying! He is a common chameleon that’s why it’s so hard to find information online.
I’ve had him since he was a little baby, we live in a small town near forests in Israel so we encounter chameleons all the time. He was a tiny baby and his hand was missing a finger and wasn’t functioning, it was also freezing winter so we took him to the vet who told us how to take care of him for the next week and then set him free in the wild. Long story short - he was very friendly and the vet said she never saw anything like him and that if we set him free he probably won’t make it. I studied chameleons to make sure he will get the best life possible and he lives happily in a big enclosure (1 meter wide and 1.70 tall) with no other reptiles. our vet came to see it and said it was great.
We are certain about him being a male, this is his regular color. He eats regularly and everything is fine except for these bumps that showed up a couple of days ago - they only started itching now. I’ll take him to the vet tomorrow but I wanted to check if this happend to anyone here before. He loves to shove his tail in my shirt and I also have tiny red itchy bumps, I only now think it may be related?
Is he housed outside?

If he was living wild outside, I have no idea what he may have picked up or been exposed to in your area. Maybe mites or some other parasite or a fungal infection would be my guess. Your vet will have knowledge about the local parasites and such. I don’t know if doing a skin scraping or biopsy would be of any value.

Welcome to the forum! You are so lucky to see chameleons in the wild!
It’s colour is fine…c, chameleons are often that colour.

You said…” I also have tiny red itchy bumps, I only now think it may be related?”…did the claws touch you where you have the red bumps?

You said…” I also have tiny red itchy bumps, I only now think it may be related?”…did the claws touch you where you have the red bumps?
Hi, thank you! Yes they did, I suffer from dryness so I didn’t think it’s related but do you think it may be?

Also it’s amazing seeing them, sadly we sometimes find them on the road but luckily most of the times they are still alive and we safely take them back to the forest

If he was living wild outside, I have no idea what he may have picked up or been exposed to in your area. Maybe mites or some other parasite or a fungal infection would be my guess. Your vet will have knowledge about the local parasites and such. I don’t know if doing a skin scraping or biopsy would be of any value.
Thank you MissSkittles, I think it may be mites. This started only now when the weather became nicer and he spends more time on the twigs rather than “his bed” (it’s a big shelf with heating that also gets sunlight and he prefers being there when it’s cold and also sleeping there at night)
This is still very mysterious to me because I clean everything daily with alcohol (of course I keep him away from the enclosure for at least two hours until everything airs)

Oh oops it replied twice sorry!

Hi, thank you! Yes they did, I suffer from dryness so I didn’t think it’s related but do you think it may be?

Also it’s amazing seeing them, sadly we sometimes find them on the road but luckily most of the times they are still alive and we safely take them back to the forest
Glad you return them to the forest! They need help to survive these days.

Sometimes the ends of the claws can cause irritation to our skin. It seems to happen more with some species than others. Not sure why.

Back
Top Bottom