MBD Concern! Take a look please!

AMdoubleER

Avid Member
So I’ve been monitoring Smurf very closely these past couple months and this MBD thing has me tripping out, thinking my little guys bone structure is weird at times, but then sometimes he looks perfectly fine! Can anyone tell from this picture if Smurf is healthy or does he have the disease?!?
87CC9AD9-85B5-44FC-A1CA-F3CFD9AE58D9.jpeg

I don't see any signs of MBD. What supplements do you use and how often for each? Be specific please.
What do you feed/gutload with? What's the basking temperature?

I don't see any signs of MBD. What supplements do you use and how often for each? Be specific please.
What do you feed/gutload with? What's the basking temperature?
I dust feeders with Rapashy Calcium Plus Mondays, Wednesdays, and Fridays, and dust with Rapashy Vitamin A Plus every Tuesday. I give him a break from the supplements on Thurdays & Sundays, just feeders only. As far as gutloading goes I’m still using the pet store stuff just to keep the crickets alive for a few days at a time. I have’t found an easy beginner gutload formula yet. I’ve never gutloaded before and grocery shopping for me is one of the worst things in life! I’m the guy walking up and down all the isles searching for what I’m looking for! Ill recheck the basking temps once I get home to let you know accurately, but I’ve been trying a few bulbs to get the temps between 80-84 no more then 86 before misters come on. I’m still experimenting. I had a 40watt blue bulb at first, but I changed it once I read on the forums that they were no good. I then changed to a 40watt incandescent replacement bulb which I feel is not giving enough heat low 80s before misters, but Smurfs behavior is normal as usual. I was gone try a 60watt incandescent replacement bulb, but quick question, are incandescent replacement bulbs ok or should I find an actual incandescent bulb?

Sometimes the area by the foot could look weird if it’s bending/climbing at a weird angle - and their feet are always bigger than expected no matter how comfortable you are with your cham’s appearance.

If there’s any further worry, changing UVB bulb out with a new one never hurts, especially if you’ve been using yours is around 6 months old.

I does look like he may of hurt is ankle, it looks a little swollen. I only know this because my female has M.B.D :(
it will heel if it is something just make sure your giving your little guy every thing he need!

I does look like he may of hurt is ankle, it looks a little swollen. I only know this because my female has M.B.D :(
it will heel if it is something just make sure your giving your little guy every thing he need!
It does not look very swollen to me. What it looks like is the ankle bone is moving with the leg bone to provide movement, which sounds confusing, but just bend your foot upwards to see what I mean.

You said..."As far as gutloading goes I’m still using the pet store stuff just to keep the crickets alive for a few days at a time. I have’t found an easy beginner gutload formula yet. I’ve never gutloaded before and grocery shopping for me is one of the worst things in life! I’m the guy walking up and down all the isles searching for what I’m looking for!"...I don't know what your pet store is using but most pet stores don't use good quality ones because they aren't cheap. I have always used dandelion greens, kale, endive, escarole, squash, zucchini, carrots, sweet potato, and a bit of fruit such as berries, melon, apples, pears....but if you don't want to do that I would try ones other people on here have recommended like Bug Burger, etc. You need to make sure you look after the insects well too.

You said..."Ill recheck the basking temps once I get home to let you know accurately, but I’ve been trying a few bulbs to get the temps between 80-84 no more then 86 before misters come on. I’m still experimenting. I had a 40watt blue bulb at first, but I changed it once I read on the forums that they were no good. I then changed to a 40watt incandescent replacement bulb which I feel is not giving enough heat low 80s before misters, but Smurfs behavior is normal as usual. I was gone try a 60watt incandescent replacement bulb, but quick question, are incandescent replacement bulbs ok or should I find an actual incandescent bulb?...mid 80's would be good for a basking temperature. The old incandescent lights with a filament produce heat but I don't think the ones you're referring to produce enough heat to work.

Last edited:
Oops...I was looking at the wrong arm...I also went back and looked at other threads and it might just be the way he's holding it. Sorry for the scare.

looks fine to me...on the subject of lights I like the 100 watt zoo med bulb, only because it is hard t find a 100 watt incandescent bulb these days. All of the big box stores seem to have gone over to LED versions which are more efficient but obviously don't throw off as much heat. I use mine on a dimmer- better to have the extra juice when you need it like for drying out a wet enclosure or a few minutes of high heat in the morning to stoke his engine:

https://zoomed.com/repti-basking-spot-lamp/

Back
Top Bottom