May be ordering WC Pigmy chams

Muddyfeet

OK So I am about to bite the bullet so to speak.. I have a couple of questions..

as it seems that not a lot of people have or deal with CB in the Bearded Pigs.. I am looking at the WC option.. as I don't want related males females.. and small clutch size, high mortality in babies.. WC seems my only reasonable option at this moment..

Any specific recommendations for acclimation?? I was going to post this in the pigmy forum.. but as Acclimation is a general question.. I figured more of a general question..

The animals are supposed to be eating well, and hydrated however I know that I still need to be super careful.. I am guessing perhaps incorrect? that fecals and worming a must for a larger WC species may not be easy or safe in such a small species.. I will however be doing a in house fecal and smear, to see just in case, as part of their profile..

I have a Enclosure set up, for a pair,, or perhaps a trio.. however I was thinking that It may be best to get a few small critter keepers/ plastic tub style cages.. fill with plastic vines a little moss, substrate and observe them for a bit individually, where it will be easier to see them eat and their feces.. before introducing them into the primary enclosure.. or would this be more stress for them??

and last.. anyone know where it is appropriate to ask for experiences for a specific vendor?? both sponsors or not??

Thanks!!

Great questions Muddyfeet

A lot of people do deal with pygmies but with small clutch sizes and short lifespans they are hard to come by. Myself and a few other forum members are trying to work together to get a healthy CB line of pygs going. However it takes time.

The primary question is know the source where you are getting them from. WC can be tricky and I would not buy from anyone I didn't know. What site are you looking at?

Most places with WC pygs do not treat for parasites. Due to their small stature and how easily they stress it is not typically done. You can however do a fecal if you wish. No harm in knowing if they have something. It's treating them that will be difficult.

When I get WC pygs. I buy a few at a time and I put them right in their permanent enclosure. Yes it's easier to monitor them in an individual enclosure but stress wise ide stick with one permanent one. They get their own areas and hang out at the same general locations throughout the day, as long as you have plenty of vegetation and cover and your enclosure is large enough there won't be any territory issues. Unless you have more than one male.

As far as specific vendor. I can recommend first choice reptiles for WC pygs. Nick is awesome and knows his stuff.

I tried setting up some WC pygmy chameleons unsuccessfully. I was able to keep my male alive for about 5-6months(full grown when received so possible natural death) but never a female for very long. All came to me in AWFUL condition and died within weeks.

It's not easy. Set up their new home very heavily planted lots of places to hide and mist, mist, and mist. As far as deworming, its a hard call. The stress of deworming may kill them but weak animals are more susceptible to dyeing from worms. If possible and the chameleons are eating you might could inject dewormer into a feeder so there is no stress and the worms are still taken care of but definitely don't touch the chameleons or cause any unnecessary stressors.

Goodluck!

The vendor part is tricky.. as I don't know them well.. that alone is another set of concerns..

I don't want to start anything so replies can be private, also experiences are individual.. but I was considering south central herp?? as they are expecting a sizeable number in soon.. seem to get them in pretty regular as they advertise on kingsnake classifieds..

I am also considering Fl Chams, but no males right now.. Big apple herp.. and I have not e mailed first choice as the website has listed out of stock every time I have checked :(

Back
Top Bottom