Maroantsetra Rainbow

I can't find much on this locale. Are they more rare or are they just not well known? I have an opportunity to purchase 2.1 Maroantsetra Rainbow and 2.1Anbanja for breeding. Anybody have pictures of the Maroantsetra Rainbows?

I suggest just calling them Maroantsetras, as not to confuse.

This locale comes from the East coast of Madagascar near the town of Maroantsetra. The town lies away from the shore on a ocean inlet. The area is primarily dense bog like swampy regions, where the humidity is higher than the north and East coastal regions where the majority of the other locales are.

Last edited:
I suggest just calling them Maroantsetras, as not to confuse.

This locale comes from the East coast of Madagascar near the town of Maroantsetra. The town lies away from the shore on a ocean inlet. The area is primarily dense bog like swampy regions, where the humidity is higher than the north and East coastal regions where the majority of the other locales are.

Thanks Will! Nice Chameleons. Is your avatar from your Maroantsetra? I have a feeling it is.

I think "rainbow" is just an old term that isn't used so much anymore. Back in the 90's dealers and breeders seemed to use it to refer to just about anything from the east coast. Even using it to describe animals from Antisiranana too :confused: I agree that sticking to the names of towns would be best to avoid confusion. Oorana mena....

Question.........Six months ago I bought what was described as a wild caught Diego Suarez. It was a dull green, burgandy/brown, and gold color. It did sort of look like a Diego in the pictures. He arrived as a super skinny beast. I suspected that he wasn't a Diego but could not figure out what he really was. After six months of acclimation and parasite treatment I ended up with a spectacular beauty. I looked at books and googled the internet to death. I have ended up calling him a Tamatave panther. I struggled to determine whether he was a Maroantsetra or Tamatave. Comments in The Chameleon Company site swayed me to say he was a Tamatave. I also found a picture on the internet somewhere of a male that looked almost like my boy. He was listed as a Tamatave. It would be easier if the seller could tell me what locale he was collected from. They are one of the big reptile sellers and they insisted he was a Diego. So......here are the links to my gallery pictures of him:

https://www.chameleonforums.com/gallery/showimage.php?i=2451&c=

https://www.chameleonforums.com/gallery/showimage.php?i=2450&c=

https://www.chameleonforums.com/gallery/showimage.php?i=2449&c=

Please take a look (Will Hayward in particular) and let me know what you think. One of your Maroantsetras (middle of the bottom row) looks a lot like my Aurelio. I would appreciate your opinion. I think your Avatar is a Maroantsetra too. I immediately recognized the spine coloration when I joined the group. Are we right? Aurelio is looking for love too. Any leads on a female would be appreciated greatly!

There are few differences that I know of between Tamatave and Maroantsetra. I personally have never seen a chameleon that was called a Tamatave in my life- though thats how it is in Canada. If you want anythign other than NosyBe, Maroantsetra and the odd ugly Ambanja, you have to import it in yourself.

They are better people to consult one this subject, and the best I would think, would be thsoe that have worked in depth with panthers right in Madagascar. Bill Love, Gary Ferguson and maybe Olaf Pronk come to mind. Until I have visited Madagascar myself, I won't comment on anyones claimed locales unless it is painfully obvious.

I'm glad I started this topic, seems as though Tamatave and Maroantsetra get confused by a lot of people. I even asked the breeder I'm getting the Maroantsetras from and they said its not a Tamatave.

I'd assume it's Connie Dorval? Could be wrong, however it is she who is the one who started with Maroantsetras here in Canada. She is very particular about the source of her chameleons.

Personally, I wouldnt say they get confused a lot, for the sole reason that they have such a minute presence in the panther population in North America.

I'd assume it's Connie Dorval? Could be wrong, however it is she who is the one who started with Maroantsetras here in Canada. She is very particular about the source of her chameleons.

Personally, I wouldnt say they get confused a lot, for the sole reason that they have such a minute presence in the panther population in North America.

You're correct Will. She's been a great help to me in starting up my breeding collection. I wasn't saying Connie is the one getting confused, as she knows her stuff. I'm saying people in general get the two (Tamatave and Maroantsetra) confused.

Last edited:
I know what you meant. I worded it wrong. It should read:

I'd assume it's Connie Dorval- but I Could be wrong.

It is she who is the one who started with Maroantsetras here in Canada. She is very particular about the source of her chameleons.

I think part of the reason some dealers came up with "fancy" names is due to the fact that they didn't want to release or make public the area that those morphs were caught from. Consider it a trade secret I suppose.

I know what you meant. I worded it wrong. It should read:

I'd assume it's Connie Dorval- but I Could be wrong.

It is she who is the one who started with Maroantsetras here in Canada. She is very particular about the source of her chameleons.

Okay cool. Is that where you bought your breeders from? She's great.

I think part of the reason some dealers came up with "fancy" names is due to the fact that they didn't want to release or make public the area that those morphs were caught from. Consider it a trade secret I suppose.

That very well could be the case. It's bad business to do that, but it's possible. Everyone should know exactly what they are buying, especially if you know.

Its conflicting whether to say the animals exact location or not to depending on who the person is. I would personally find it troubling because if you do tell the location, they might get taken by large numbers and damage the populations but its good so know where the animal is coming from because you dont want to mix locales and hymradize by accident. I dont know it depends on the person but i dont want to start a large debate, just my couple of pennies lol.

Back
Top Bottom