marked change in feeding habits, some kind of health problem?

poppototamus

Hi folks,

Chameleon Info:
Your Chameleon - veiled, male, 6 to 7 months, in my care since September 2012
Handling - tried handling once after a few weeks to settle in, got bitten, now do not handle at all
Feeding - I began feeding him crickets and super worms, crickets on rapashy insect gutload with vegetables and fruit on the side, supers on oats/wheatbran/rapashy gutload and carrots/lettuce/apples. I originally fed him 7 crickets and three supers daily but since his hunger strike began, I put about five crickets in every other day and he may eat one or none. I purchased dubias but could never get him to eat those and gave them to a friend, i now have silkworms and hornworms eating the chow they came with (a brownish, sweet smelling paste), which he also does not seem interested in eating.
Supplements - feeders get dusted with repcal (calcium with no d3) every feeding, and with herptivite and rapashy calcium plus twice a month.
Watering - I use a humidifier over the cage that drops fog on the plants and creates beads of water on the leaves. I have not ever seen him drinking in the two months i've had him
Fecal Description - the poo part is always dark brown, the urates are always white to pale yellow, but he doesn't go as often lately since he hasn't been eating much.
History - I purchased him at a reptile show, he has never been anything but terrified of me.

Cage Info:
Cage Type -the cage is wood frame, all aluminum screen except the bottom which is a plastic tray on plywood. it is 4.5 feet tall by three feet wide by two feed deep.
Lighting - I use an ExoTerro reptiglo 5.0 cfl, and two incandescent bulbs to heat and light the cage. the lights go on between 5 and 7 am and off between 5 and 7 pm.
Temperature - His basking spot is regulated to 87 degrees F by a thermostat with a probe and a secondary thermometer with a probe to double check. the bottom of the cage is room temperature, about 70 degrees during the day. Night time temperature levels may drop to 60 degrees, but the house is heated, so never below that.
Humidity - I use a humidifier on high which drops fog over half the cage and allows moisture to bead up on the plant leaves. I measure humidity with a digital hygrometer in the foggy half of the cage and it ranges from 60 to 80 percent during the day. I turn off the humidifier at night, but it runs all day. The non-foggy half of the cage is totally dry.
Plants - I use one large live schefflera and some fake vines with leaves as well as a bunch of sticks of varied sizes and heights for perching.
Placement - the cage is in a corner of my office, he can see me when i sit at my desk and he can see us sitting on the sofa in the other room but he's pretty out of the way, no vents etc. The top of the cage is about 5 feet off the ground.
Location - the northern central valley, California (cool and rainy december through february, baking hot and dry in the summer, may freeze once or twice annually).

Current Problem - Creature appears to be totally disinterested in food. originally he would eat crickets and super worms like they were the best thing in the world but now he will walk right by crickets hanging out on the screen. I have tried waxworms, dubia roaches, silk worms, and horn worms and he seems unstimulated by all of these things. He spent the last two weeks shedding, which seemed like kind of a long time to me, but since it went on in patches maybe not. He is still super active, he jams around his cage climbing up and down the sticks and the plant, his colors range from bright green to darkish green, he isn't really ever pale anymore the way he used to get when i would open the cage in the beginning. He still poops, just smaller poops than he used to, and frankly I can't tell if he is thin or not because he changes sizes from a puffed up pancake under his lights to a skinny log when he sees me open the door. I should probably take him out and weigh him to get a reference point but handling seems to stress him out so much I've been just trying not to bother him.

I've not taken him to a vet since his general demeanor seems unchanged, but we have lots of good exotic vets in the area.

I am having the same problem with my 6 month old veiled! Thankfully mine is still eating a little bit of Kale and worms but he hasn't shown interest in crickets for a few wks now. I hope we both find a solution to why they are doing this!

First I would open his cage door and sit a nice tree in front of the door. He may feel less threatened if he is out of the cage. You need to learn to work with him now or you will have a holy terror when he is full grown.

His eating may be nothing more than you took away his candy! Some chams get so attached to eating superworms, they don't want any thing else. Put in several food items every other day. Remove them at night if he has not eaten them. Keep this up for a week at least. Also getting some house flys at great for getting them back into eating. Very few chams can refuse flying prey.

This is pretty standard male Veiled behaviour at his age, especially if they have been getting a couple too many worms (we all do it, I fed extra waxworms to spark my first hunger strike :)). The 'terrible teen' stage is upon you....hunger strikes along with more territoriality and possible aggression. The good news is it'll only last a couple of months and then he'll likely calm down a fair bit.
As he likes a wander then Lauries suggestion of letting him come out by himself is a good idea to get him more used to you being near him without him feeling the need to defend himself.
The hunger strike could last a while, but he is not going to starve himself. Now he's a big boy he needs a lot less to live on because he has a lot less growing to do.

thanks guys for your advice, I have been avoiding working with him because I thought the stress would be likely to make him eat even less. Knowing this food fussiness may be a normal behavioral stage associated with age is super comforting. I will definitely try leaving the doors open with something to climb on.

I have a very similar problem with my female veiled... She's approx 9 months old, and laid her first batch of eggs 3 weeks ago...
As soon as she'd laid I treated her to a pot of Wax worms which she took a healthy interest in, but now 3 weeks later she's showing no interest in eating whatsoever... I've tried crickets, mealworms and wax worms, and she has a mixed lettuce in her viv... She is drinking very well, but seems rather fidgety, pacing her tank lots...

Any thoughts or advice would be most welcome...

Thanks, Char

Back
Top Bottom