Many Thanks (Eye Issue Resolved)

I just wanted to say thank you to everyone that responded with advice with my chameleons eye problem. I got a new light and administered some Vitamin A. Now after the past few days the problem seems to have vanished. A special Thanks to Leid and Jim Flaherty from Chameleon Company for pointing me in the right direction!

Attachments

• Before.jpg
    Before.jpg
    114.2 KB · Views: 114
  • After.jpg
    After.jpg
    97.7 KB · Views: 119
I suppose chameleons are extremely prone to eye problems. My veiled was prescribed vitamin A as well when he had something similar. Cleared up pretty quickly.

What were you prescribed?

I suppose chameleons are extremely prone to eye problems. My veiled was prescribed vitamin A as well when he had something similar. Cleared up pretty quickly.

What were you prescribed?

No Prescription...never made it to the vet. Was recommended to use Vitamin A in a gel capsule. I chose fish oil. I poked a hole in the gel capsule with a needle and saturated a q-tip and then coated a few superworms each day at feeding time. I also managed to rub the q-tip on Pepe's inner gum a few times to insure he got a large enough dose.

No Prescription...never made it to the vet. Was recommended to use Vitamin A in a gel capsule. I chose fish oil. I poked a hole in the gel capsule with a needle and saturated a q-tip and then coated a few superworms each day at feeding time. I also managed to rub the q-tip on Pepe's inner gum a few times to insure he got a large enough dose.

They can have too much vitamin A, be careful.

EDIT MISREAD. Chameleons can overdose on Vitamin A.

You need to get to a vet. Fish Oil is NOT an alternative to proper veterinary care.

Who gave you the suggestion to use fish oil? Did they give you any idea on dosage?

Fish oil is perfectly fine to use for vitamin A as long as you know what your doing. You don't need to get a special prescription from the vet, but you do need to be careful on how much your dosing.

All I'm saying is that not even I would know how to dose that, because fish oil most likely has different strengths (I don't know the correct word for it) and it could be something like 30% vit A and the other could be 50%.. or something like that.

Sorry if I seem like I'm rambling, they just need to go to a vet, unless they got the information from someone experienced (hopefully from Jim like they said in the first post).

All I'm saying is that not even I would know how to dose that, because fish oil most likely has different strengths (I don't know the correct word for it) and it could be something like 30% vit A and the other could be 50%.. or something like that.

Sorry if I seem like I'm rambling, they just need to go to a vet, unless they got the information from someone experienced (hopefully from Jim like they said in the first post).

i think he ment a fish oil based vitamin A?

if so then thats fine as long as it says the amount of vitamin A. the Vitamin A capsules from walmart are great when they have low dose, and say if it has 500 IU then you know that about half would be 250 ect. makes this all much more manageable

Syn

EDIT MISREAD. Chameleons can overdose on Vitamin A.

You need to get to a vet. Fish Oil is NOT an alternative to proper veterinary care.

Who gave you the suggestion to use fish oil? Did they give you any idea on dosage?

When you do not know what you are talking about ...

and it could be something like 30% vit A and the other could be 50%..

Best to sit on your hands (so that you cannot type), which would be as to be quiet. Sorry, but you sure do type a lot of speculation as if it had a shred of experience attached, which it does not.

Sorry if I can't think of the word for it, Jim, no need to tell me to sit on my hands. They weren't being clear in their post so I was just trying to help.

Actually, I do have some experience. I asked my vet about using fish oil and they said it was not a good idea because the medicine I received for my chameleon was a specific amount, specific CONCENTRATION (which was the word I was looking for) and YES JIM, THIS WAS FROM A CERTIFIED HERP VET. They indeed told me NOT to use Fish Oil!

oh yea i forgot jim doesnt know what he is talking about, he only has the largest breeding program in the us. had you read the first thread you would have seen who told him to use fish oil and known he knows what he is talking about.

also the first post also states, problem vanished. sounds like i work eh.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well Syn ...

.... many are far more knowledgeable about Vitamin A and fish oil, to include knowing that it is not "30% vitamin A". As for your attachment with a "certified herp vet" .. if you say so ... LOL ! Just the blurb about "30%" shows that you do not have a clue, and frankly, I refuse to believe that a "certified herp vet" ... LOL again ... is as you say. Tell he or she to call me ! :p

Try this out. The next time you are near a vitamin or nutrition store, such as a GNC, go in and park yourself in front of the Vitamin A shelf (or shelves). And just start reading the label on every product there. You might get a clue ... eh ?

Last edited:
Reactions: Syn
reply to above: If you look back at one of my older threads after a trip to the vet, I received a vitamin A dose for my chameleon. Mom asked about Fish Oil. They said it was a bad idea.

Yes, it worked. But before I had realized Jim had helped with the chameleon, it was safe to assume they had gone out on some friend's advice and it could have been helping now, but later it could have been an overdose.

Now please, let's get back on topic, and stop.

Syn,

So that you know, I got a plug from someone on my post, who was also concerned that I might be a bit too harsh on you. Nope. Here's why. People who are really new to the hobby, newer than you, might take some of your posts as having merit, simply because they are here, and might have gone unchallenged. Some of your posts do have good info to share. But because of your urge to post info when you do not know what you are talking about, many of your posts are dangerous to a novice. It would be nice if you took this to heart a bit more ... I have PM'd you about your happy fingers before ... but know that when you continue to post nonsense, you will be called out on occasion. Like I said ... park yourself in front of that shelf, and start to learn.

I have no idea what a plug is, but alright. All I'm saying is what my vet told me, and if you'd like to call her, she doesn't work at her old office anymore, and quite frankly I have no idea where she is now.

If you'd like to call out my vet, go right ahead, but if you're going to call me out for posting what my vet told me, don't. Go to her and not me.

You don't need to be so harsh to people, you can get the point across without hurting someone's feelings, Jim.

I hope your chameleon gets better, Buf. Sorry for any confusion.

So that you know, I got a plug from someone on my post, who was also concerned that I might be a bit too harsh on you. Nope. Here's why. People who are really new to the hobby, newer than you, might take some of your posts as having merit, simply because they are here, and might have gone unchallenged. Some of your posts do have good info to share. But because of your urge to post info when you do not know what you are talking about, many of your posts are dangerous to a novice. It would be nice if you took this to heart a bit more ... I have PM'd you about your happy fingers before ... but know that when you continue to post nonsense, you will be called out on occasion. Like I said ... park yourself in front of that shelf, and start to learn.

I didn't think a thank you would generate so much animosity, but if it helps in educating some people, then i think it's worth it. Yes I did mean a Fish Oil based Vitamin A. This was very easy to administer, no needles, no vet, Just the expertise experience of Jim(as mentioned in the original thread). Thanks again Jim!
I did link to his comment on my first thread about when I was having the problem, but it needs to still be approved by a moderator. Maybe it will help to alleviate some of the confusion for you Syn. If not, search the threads for "Right Eye Closed" and go to page 4, there you will find Jim's advice.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom