mali uromastyx sick?

Sage

Well i have had my Mali for 6 years now and i bought him from a local pet store a while ago. He has always been fine since recently when he wasnt very active and looked very skinny. He wont move much through out the day eaither. Im guesssing hes about 10 now. I feed him a few Dandalion leaves every day and wash them before i feed them to him. He doesnt get water becuase he wont drink it. Hes in a 35 Gallon tank with a heat light and a Uv coil on him. his basking temps are about 95 degrees. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!!!

i say change up his diet. just dandelions isnt great but u can still use that but include bok choy, dark lettuce mix, veggies (peas carrots beans), hibiscus blooms, rose blooms, fresh alfafa. tons of these veges and you should also be lightly dusting their food as you do a chameleons. hope this helps and your uro. chunks up!! :)

From what I've read, Uromastyx don't drink. Many of the species live in the Saharan Desert where water isn't available. Their bodies have adapted to this and have a physiological process that converts food nutrients into hydration. (Source Deer Fern Farms). There have been reports of Uromastyx drowning in shallow water since they are so unaccustomed to it.

I agree with the previous posters - more variety is necessary in your Uromastyx' diet. Mine LOVES hibicus blooms (you can often buy them at floral stores). I'd recommend you take him to see your exotic vet ASAP. While it may be diet and husbandry that are contributing to his lethargy and weight loss, it could be pathological.

Back
Top Bottom