Male Veiled always wants out. Help please.

brittanymeyyyers

I have a male veiled chameleon and he is always wanting out of his cage, i go to spray it and he's already crawling up my arm... and if he's in his cage he's always digging to get out...
his cage is always clean and there is always water sources and plants and crickets...

I just don't know if there is something wrong with his cage that he wants to be out all the time, or if he just likes to be out ??

I cant remember how big the cage actually is but its exoterra and its the medium size...
and only like 4 months, i got him in march

You need to get him into a large screen cage (eventually).

Not many here use the exo terras because they are not built for chameleons. They are made for geckos and frogs, etc.

Right now I think he is trying to get out (even at a young 4 months old) because there is something wrong with the cage or he doesn't feel it's a proper place to be.

Either that or he is not four months and is actually older than that or too big for the cage.

Either way, eventually you're going to need a 24x24x48 inch *SCREEN* cage for him to live in :)

Please post a picture of both your chameleon and the cage he is living in so we can help you further

My Jackson's always wanted out of his cage when I first rescued him. I made major improvements to his enclosure, and now when I go to open it to move him to his outdoor enclosure during the day, or for any reason, he turns colors telling me to f-off lol.

If you could post pictures of the enclosure and your chameleon that would be a huge help!

If you're concerned about husbandry, please fill out the questionnaire found here
https://www.chameleonforums.com/how-ask-help-66/

We can look over what's going on, and give advice on improvements.

With my experience with veileds they hate being caged. Do you have an area where you could set up a free range for him? Even if it's just part time when you are around to watch him. The free range would need to be secure from all other pets, small children, hot lights and so forth. Be happy that you have a friendly veiled.

As others have said he will soon need a larger enclosure....the bigger the better. :)

Back
Top Bottom