Male Pygmy Digging

WombatZombat

Has anyone that keeps R. brevicaudatus observed any of their male pygmies digging? I currently have 3 males, all in different enclosures, and 1 in particular has recently begun to dig. This afternoon I found him sat in his hole and upon seeing me he casually climbed out and strolled off.

I'm aware that its normal for females to dig for egg deposition, but this is the first time I've seen a male do it. Do males in other species dig? Does anyone have any idea why?

Is their enclosure too warm? Believe it or not I have a female that digs to poop-same place all the time, she just makes a little dip in the substrate and "plop". She digs in another place to lay her eggs. :)

Is their enclosure too warm? Believe it or not I have a female that digs to poop-same place all the time, she just makes a little dip in the substrate and "plop". She digs in another place to lay her eggs. :)

Thanks for the reply, temp is currently 21.9C so it isn't too warm. He hasn't pooped in there. He does tend to spend a lot more time exploring than the other pygmies I have, often wandering along the mesh strip at the front of the exo terra so I can only guess something isn't right, but its difficult to tell what when the others appear to be doing fine.

hahaha, i never aware of pygmy doing that. Thank for sharing, Julirs.
Pygmy is so fascinating (eventhough i don't have one.. Yet! :p)

I once heard/read that these chameleons do dig holes to sit in...but I have no idea where I heard/read that now or if its true or not.

Back
Top Bottom