Male Panther with Gular Edema or Neck Swelling...

I think I figured it out.........

I've been researching and researching and praying to figure this out.... I'm not 100% but I think I have came to a conclusion.

I will post the websites with information and the foods ect that all make sense to me and I want to see what everyone thinks.

I think Linus has HyPERvitaminosis.

I decided to make a new veggie juice that would help his liver since the vet thinks its a fatty liver issue, which it could be as well.

Vet told me to stick to the oral calcium, ( Neo-Calglucon Syrup), the La Faber Nutritional Support, crickets dusted in (Repti Calcium without D3, since he goes in the sun weekly), and pinkies, after 2.5 weeks it wasn't getting better, so I've been researching and trying to understand how chameleons bodies work, the fod they eat and the food to feed the feeder, how it all works as a system.

So, back in January, i gave Linus Rep-Cal with D3, for a week straight( so as my Mueller - he got some swelling), but my panther Linus got neck Edema bad. I cut off the calcium since i thought i over supplemented him. When Linus wasn't feeling good and didn't want to eat much I fed him Carnivore Care (powder a vet in Ohio gave me to give to my chameleons if they are sick or don't want to eat),....it contains Vitamin A 25,000IU/kg.

I weened Linus off Carnivore Care not to much longer after that because he started eating Mealworms, i forgot he loved them. Just found out they are high in protein.
He got Silkworms, hornworms and crickets too, but unless I helped him to eat those, he wouldn't eat them on his own. :(

Been to 2 vets, can't figure out the edema. I administered my New veggie juice Tuesday and Wednesday, Wednesday night Linus was huge... bigger than before and underneath his jaw was a balloon too.

Juice contained....Beet (for liver function), dandelion (poor liver), spinach (antioxidant),cabbage(digestive/antioxidants), grapefruit( increase appetite, liver function and detoxification diuretic.).
* Please let me know if any of these veggies can hurt a chameleon? I don't think so, but I'm still researching.

I did find out this morning that Dandelion has more vitamin A, than 4lbs of carrots! Which can be bad!!!

I fed Linus silkworms with the juice and I know the silkworms wouldn't be a harm, that I know of, but he only at 4 each day.

I can't find out if La Faber Nutritional Support has Vitamin A in it, but I'm calling the vet this morning.

The first round of veggie juice I administered weeks ago was ( spinach, collard greens and kale) and Linus wasn't worse, he looked peppier and doing ok.

Linus pooped yesterday and part of his insides came out some :(. I'll upload a photo. :( They went back in after he finished but it scared me, so i researched more and more after that). He's obviously not doing better and something that I am giving him or not giving him is hurting him still.

Persistance is the Key!

The web information this morning.......

As I reported earlier, my chameleon eats only crickets, nothing else. Further, my crickets are rarely dusted, on the order of maybe 2 or 3 times per month. That tended to rule out the supplementing as a cause of its apparent edema.

The crickets, as I reported earlier, are fed a sort of applesauce-ish type of mixture made of near equal parts of: 1) dandilion greens, 2) collard greens, 3) endive, and 4) watercress. That's the main dish. They're also given two side dishes: 1) bee pollen, and 2) dried egg yolks.

Edema in chameleons, I've found, is commonly attributed to over supplementation, especially with regard to vitamin A. Also, as I've reported earlier, my veterinarian told me that crickets should never be given carrots (though I don't recall having asked him why). I, as I've noted, certainly don't over supplement, and I don't give my crickets carrots, but I wondered about how much vitamin A they were getting from my gut load.

As it turns out, one of the ingredients is very high in vitamin A, and almost exactly 1/2 as rich in vitamin A as carrots. Here's the breakdown:
Amount in mix | Ingredient | RE of Vitamin A | % of Total
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
1 lb Dandelion greens-fresh 6350 58%
1 lb Watercress-fresh 2132 20%
1 lb Collards-raw 1511 14%
1 lb Endive-Raw Pieces 930 9%
----- ----
TOTAL: 10923 100%
By way of comparison, 4 lbs of carrots have 51030 RE of vitamin A. So she's been getting a whole heck of a lot of vitamin A. And, to make things worse, I'm pretty sure that dandelion greens actually make up more than 1/4 of the greens in my gut load paste, just judging from memory on how large are the bundles that they're sold in. In fact, dandelion greens may comprise as much as 2/3rds of the mix.

I wish now that I hadn't made the appointment with the veterinarian, because I'm pretty sure what the problem is. But, then again, maybe he'll have some great ideas about how to cure the problem, other than just backing off of the vitamin A.

Source: http://www.veiled-chameleon.com/weblog/archives/000218.html#ixzz1MoaG38pT

http://healthrecipes.com/dandelion.htm

The most therapeutic form is as juice. The leaves are richer in vitamin A than are carrots. One cup of dandelion greens provides 25 calories, 1.5 g protein, 5 g carbohydrate, 19 mg Vitamin C, 7,700 IU of vitamin A and 103 mg calcium.

http://www.peteducation.com/article.cfm?c=17+1796&aid=3027

http://animal.discovery.com/guides/reptiles/iguanas/vitamina.html
2nd website is identical

What are the forms of vitamin A?
There are several forms of vitamin A. Beta-carotene is a form commonly found in vegetables. Many animals can convert beta-carotene into vitamin A. Others, such as the cat, cannot, and must have what is commonly referred to as preformed vitamin A. It was originally thought that chameleons could convert beta-carotene, but recent research suggests that they too may need preformed vitamin A.
There has been considerable controversy over how much, and what type of vitamin A chameleons need. Reports of small research studies in the 1990s suggested chameleons should not be given preformed vitamin A, since it could result in excessive levels of vitamin A in the animal (hypervitaminosis A). Later research found this information to be incorrect. Many chameleons today suffer from vitamin A deficiency (hypovitaminosis A) due to the misinformation published in the early 1990s.
How are chameleons with vitamin A abnormalities treated?
Hypovitaminosis A is treated by giving oral or injectable vitamin A. The husbandry and nutrition must be corrected to prevent recurrence. Secondary problems such as infections also need to be treated. Animals with severe deficiencies may have permanent problems such as skeletal abnormalities, eye disease, or impaired respiration.
The basic treatment of hypervitaminosis A is to remove the supplemental source of vitamin A. Secondary problems such as liver toxicity or skin abnormalities will also need to be treated.

What are the signs of vitamin A abnormalities?

Hypovitaminosis A
• Reduced growth rate • Death
• Metabolic bone disease
• Necrosis/sloughing of the tip of the tail
• Swollen lips
• Swelling around the eyes
• Abnormal vertebrae
• Difficulty with maintaining a grip or posture
• Increased number of upper respiratory infections
• Inability to reproduce or death of eggs
• Loss of appetite
• Skin abnormalities
• Hemipenile impactions in young males

Hypervitaminosis A
• Loss of appetite
• Liver enlargement
• Bone abnormalities
• Calcium deposits in soft tissues
• Skin abnormalities

References and Further Reading
Abate, AL; Coke, R; Ferguson, G; Reavill, D. Chameleons and vitamin A. Journal of Herpetological Medicine and Surgery, 2003; 13(2):23-31.
Abate, A; Kalisch, K. Chameleon Information Network: Newsletters #10, 11. San Diego, CA.
Donoghue, S; McKeown, S. Nutrition of captive reptiles. Veterinary Clinics of North America: Exotic Animal Practice; Jan. 1999: 69-91.
Lowe, P. The Veiled Chameleon (Chamaeleo calyptratus). A Colorado Herpetological Society Care Sheet, originally published in three installments in The Cold Blooded News, V23: 6-8, June - Aug., 1996.
Mader, D. Reptile Medicine and Surgery. W.B. Saunders Co. 1996.

http://www.e-healthypetfood.com/html/hypervitaminosis_a.html

Because of an interrelationship between vitamin A, vitamin D3 and calcium, it appears that too much vitamin A may deplete calcium reserves, resulting in symptoms of metabolic bone disease.

Other effects of hypervitaminosis A inc1ude excessive shedding and eye problems. Some of these effects can be offset by increasing the amount of vitamin D3, but there ~ a risk of administering too much vitamin D3.

Unfortunately, many of the reptile vitamin/ mineral supplements presentIy available contain many times the amount of vitamin A required by most lizards.

For species with low vitamin A tolerance, these vitamin/mineral supplements may prove detrimental over time. With vitamin Asensitive species, some herpetoculturists choose not to use any cornmercial vitamin/mineral supplements, and instead simply use a vitamin D3 and calcium supplement. Other vitamins are provided through careful gut loading of the insects being offered. Cut loading of insects with beta-carotene is the method most often used by herpetoculturists for supplying vitamin A to their insect-eating lizards. Care is given not to feed insects a diet which is high in formed vitamin A, but instead to feed a diet low in vitamin A, inc1uding fresh vegetable matter, ground rodent chow and flaked baby cereal. Another method is to mix one part of a cornmercial supplement with 2-to-5 parts calcium carbonate. Hopefully, cornmercial vitamin/ mineral supplements with lower vitamin A levels will become available in the very near future.

MY CONCLUSION......

Carnivore Care....... has Vitamin A
Rep - Cal.......use sparingly since it has D3 in it.
Dandelion......has more Vitamin A than 4lbs of carrots
Pinky mice.....high protein can lead to gout in chameleons
mealworms...high protein too
Neo- Calglucon Syrup...Calcium can also bind to other minerals (such as phosphate) and aid in their removal from the body.
Calcium glubionate is used to prevent and to treat calcium deficiencies.
Mazuri......cricket food has Vitamin A
LaFaber Nutritional Support...? if it contains vitamin A????? if its like Carnivore care than yes it could.

My actions........

The veggie juice with dandelion made Linus blow up more and thats where I saw someone else had a cricket gutload with Dandelion and their chameleon got neck edema from too much Vitamin A.

caling vet this morning to tell him what I found and go from there.

Highly encourage taking Linus off the LaFaber Nutritional Support if it contains vitamin A, taking the crickets off Mazuri, to stop vitamin A overdose, Keep on oral calcium syrup. Take off pinkies, and go back to simple, crickets, silkworms, phoenix worms, butterworms and mealworms for a month and water, water, water, to get his system flushed and hope he feels better/edema goes away :) Time will tell. :)

La Faber Naurtitional Support DOES have Vitamin A

Neo- Calglycon syrup does NOT have vitamin A

Linus was given a Vitamin A/D shot on 4/30, no wonder why he's feeling sluggish :(

I am so thankful i have done this research and hoping it pays off :)

Vet is gonna call me later today :)

LfW6yl.jpg

Probably the prolapse is just another symptom of the overall problem.
Could be related to usable calcium in the system somehow (as in not enough for whatever reason- calcium effects muscle function - general posture of the lizard in the first photos kind of go along with this theme, though obviously there is more going on than that).

Prolapses are poorly understood generally though- there isn't an easy one size fits all answer. Sometimes it's from excessive straining when pooping, sometimes vets don't understand the cause.

For what it is worth- I think you are going to have to look at the situation holistically (as in total environment, diet, temperatures, lighting- a chameleon is a system of complex relationships- vit a d and calcium effect each other for example, heat and lighting effect the nutrition, water effects everything, etc) to correct it, and honestly, I think your chameleon at this point is living for your education, and wouldn't get my hopes up too much. Don't mean to be a downer, but from all the pics in this thread, this lizard is pretty far down the road. Stuff like this doesn't happen overnight, or from feeding too many of this or that greens for a few days or using d3 for 1 week or a single booster shot.

I think it is very admirable that you are using the experience to learn. And I feel badly for you and your chameleon. I hope your efforts pay off.

Keep in mind that when you have living animals- even animals that vets know volumes about like dogs and cats and horses and chickens have individuals where things go wrong in spite of the best care and plenty of knowledge. Some individuals still end up having problems and some things are just beyond human control.

I'm sure you know by now that is a prolapse. It looks like a prolapsed bowel though, not a hemipenis like we see quite often. It could have happened because he was straining to go poo. Although overweight animals are more prone to prolapses and he is swollen looking now from his recent med problems.

Probably the prolapse is just another symptom of the overall problem.
Could be related to usable calcium in the system somehow (as in not enough for whatever reason- calcium effects muscle function - general posture of the lizard in the first photos kind of go along with this theme, though obviously there is more going on than that).

Prolapses are poorly understood generally though- there isn't an easy one size fits all answer. Sometimes it's from excessive straining when pooping, sometimes vets don't understand the cause.

For what it is worth- I think you are going to have to look at the situation holistically (as in total environment, diet, temperatures, lighting- a chameleon is a system of complex relationships- vit a d and calcium effect each other for example, heat and lighting effect the nutrition, water effects everything, etc) to correct it, and honestly, I think your chameleon at this point is living for your education, and wouldn't get my hopes up too much. Don't mean to be a downer, but from all the pics in this thread, this lizard is pretty far down the road. Stuff like this doesn't happen overnight, or from feeding too many of this or that greens for a few days or using d3 for 1 week or a single booster shot.

I think it is very admirable that you are using the experience to learn. And I feel badly for you and your chameleon. I hope your efforts pay off.

Keep in mind that when you have living animals- even animals that vets know volumes about like dogs and cats and horses and chickens have individuals where things go wrong in spite of the best care and plenty of knowledge. Some individuals still end up having problems and some things are just beyond human control.

I really appreciate your whole comment. It really eased my mind.

I am trying to understand and do what I can and I do feel Linus is living to feed my knowledge and learn to be a better chameleon keeper. I am making changes to go to holistic ways. I am going to try and save him and hope to keep his discomfort/pain minimal.

I have seen prolapse before. I am thinking it was because he was straining to defecate. I know that calcium also has an effect on smooth muscle which lines the intestines.

I know everything going on with him is from a multiple of variables and i am trying to figure out the main cause or several causes contributing to this outcome, so i can make sure not to have this happen again. I appreciate you lining out some things for me to research more.

I spoke to my vet today and he still just wants me to do a labrascopy and take out some liver to make sure it's a "fatty liver". I don't think anesthesia, and surgery, is going to help Linus feel any better, honestly. The treatment for a fatty liver the vet already has me on and then he thinks it could be other organs failing.

If hes got major problems with organs, i don't think there is much you can really do? The liver can repair itself but the heart, lungs ect, you can't do a transplant or anything for a chameleon. Just go over the food/housing/sun/heat ect and if there is changes....that can help the body change and repair itself then it'll be good.

I understand if surgery would really help, but biopsying the liver will only prove if it is fatty liver, and then what if there is another organ that has problems. I asked that and the vet got mad.

I just can't see Linus being put through surgery just for my knowledge. The outcome is the same in treatment, so i'd rather him live for what time he has left (comfortable), and make the most of it. If he can bounce back would be a miracle.

Id rather do a Necropsy and biopsy after hes gone, then it will explain a lot more and I can go from there.

I do really appreciate your response and getting further knowledge, so I can keep on my search for understanding.

I'm sure you know by now that is a prolapse. It looks like a prolapsed bowel though, not a hemipenis like we see quite often. It could have happened because he was straining to go poo. Although overweight animals are more prone to prolapses and he is swollen looking now from his recent med problems.

He is definitely swollen. His back legs and hind tail more today than ever noticed. I thought it was bowel too, since the calcium problem/smooth intestine, and just all around problems. Strain to defecate too.

I'm just wondering if he is still able to recover from this all?

I spoke to my vet today and he still just wants me to do a labrascopy and take out some liver to make sure it's a "fatty liver". I don't think anesthesia, and surgery, is going to help Linus feel any better, honestly. The treatment for a fatty liver the vet already has me on and then he thinks it could be other organs failing.

The first question you should ask form the medical perspective is "if I run this test/procedure, are the results going to influence what we are doing?" In this case I would say not. If it is fatty liver then congrats, you're already treating it for that. So it wouldn't change anything. If it's not...then would you really be changing much anyway? He still has problems that you're addressing. It sounds like your vet just really wants to do this procedure to satisfy curiosity. I can't blame him, it really helps for education purposes and it's frustrating when you don't know for sure what the problem actually is! But in this case I think it would be a waste of your money and a risk on your cham's already fragile health.

If other organs are failing then a for sure diagnosis isn't going to help anyway. It's not going to tell you what the cause was, or what should have been done differently. It's only going to reaffirm what you already know: he's having issues.

Flux made an excellent point that no matter how hard we try and even when we're doing everything right, sometimes things still go wrong anyway. We don't understand everything and there are too many things beyond our control. I'm afraid that his prognosis is not great in his advanced condition. But I don't think he's at the point that it's cruel to continue either. He's still happy and acting relatively normal so if it were me I would keep doing what you're doing and see what happens. Sometimes they can make amazing recoveries. But you have to be prepared for when they don't, because that happens a lot too. Good luck with him!

The first question you should ask form the medical perspective is "if I run this test/procedure, are the results going to influence what we are doing?" In this case I would say not. If it is fatty liver then congrats, you're already treating it for that. So it wouldn't change anything. If it's not...then would you really be changing much anyway? He still has problems that you're addressing. It sounds like your vet just really wants to do this procedure to satisfy curiosity. I can't blame him, it really helps for education purposes and it's frustrating when you don't know for sure what the problem actually is! But in this case I think it would be a waste of your money and a risk on your cham's already fragile health.

If other organs are failing then a for sure diagnosis isn't going to help anyway. It's not going to tell you what the cause was, or what should have been done differently. It's only going to reaffirm what you already know: he's having issues.

Flux made an excellent point that no matter how hard we try and even when we're doing everything right, sometimes things still go wrong anyway. We don't understand everything and there are too many things beyond our control. I'm afraid that his prognosis is not great in his advanced condition. But I don't think he's at the point that it's cruel to continue either. He's still happy and acting relatively normal so if it were me I would keep doing what you're doing and see what happens. Sometimes they can make amazing recoveries. But you have to be prepared for when they don't, because that happens a lot too. Good luck with him!

Thank you for your amazing post! I feel the same. I want to make Linus happy and comfortable for all the time he has here.

It's reassuring to hear that sometimes things just happen. I just want to double check that I am doing everything I can for my little guy, in his best interest without unnecessary stress.

This stuff makes me want to go to vet school even more to understand and learn from others in the field and get my hands on medical books/journals and knowledgable reptile specialists! Then use the information, along with others experiences and my own to take chameleon care to the next level. :)

Maybe one day :)

I really do appreciate this forum and all the knowledge it holds. It's nice to come on here and get reassurance and clarity for chameleon things. There isn't anyone else i know personally that has had chameleons or cares to really understand them. So, THANK YOU EVERYONE!!!

Fatty Liver Disease

Hepatic lipidosis can occur as a result of an excessively fatty diet, or in conjunction with starvation or anorexia. There may be liver damage from a back-up of excess gall fluid (an enlarged gall bladder may be evident). The affected liver becomes extremely swollen and turns a pale or splotchy color. Female chameleons with this condition may have excessively large abdominal fat pads. Chameleons that eat large amounts of fatty prey like beetle larvae, caterpillars and moth worms (silk, horn, wax), without a low fat chitin and veggie balance, are prone to this condition. Two keepers, living hundreds of miles apart, compared livers of clutchmates that died about 2 weeks apart, of different causes. Each keeper fed different amounts, frequencies, and species of prey, which appear to be key to prevention. See Feeding for the recommended quantity, schedule, and gutload. More about this condition will be posted as it becomes available.

http://www.melleridiscovery.com/health/health.htm

* If you go there, you can see photos of the liver as well.

So some of you that know me know and who met Linus, the results for his edema are in from the lab. We had his neck drained Tuesday and the fluid shows...

NO BACTERIA
NO CANCER

The vet now thinks it could be a chronic protein deficiency?

We are now just seeing if the fluid will build back up in the neck.
Right now its a 3-4 on the scale (10 being really bad).

We are thinking about draining it again here in a week or 2, but right now, a variety of food, calcium on the food, outdoor sun and water is doing the trick for him getting better. :)

We will see, but so far, things are looking up! :)

Unfortunately I have no advice for you but I just wanted to say thanks for taking good care of your animals :)

this thread has been very informative!

Linus death...

So, i have been super busy the past 2 weeks with lots of cham stuff going on.

Linus died of cirrhosis of the liver. I am having pathology tested and waiting back, so more info to come soon.

I got to do a necropsy, so i got some photos for you all.

I have questions now that i am going back on my research, the vet tests, blood work, fluid analysis, supplements, anti-inflammatory meds ect.

IMO: I think i didn't know much about gutloading and supplements when i first got Linus. He ate crickets only for the 1st year or so., dusted rarely and i think he had malnutrition which leads to liver problems. NOW I KNOW how to do stuff and want to inform others so we can try to not hurt them.

I had 1 vet tell me to feed him pinky mice 4xs a week, did it for 3 weeks straight. I read he could get gout, i stopped. What I now know is, if you have liver damage, a ton of protein is bad, because your liver can't process it! So, did this vet know this? BTW: This vet thought Linus had a fatty liver. I'm not mad, but I am more cautious and will be researching stuff more to help me make the best decision.

Linus had a fused spine and inflammation and I know that is painful being a medical massage therapist and knowing people who have arthritis and tell me. I know there are meds...... and cold pressed castor oil on the skin will absorb and help with inflammation naturally. Did castor oil hurt Linus? I don't think the castor oil did, but I am questioning the anti-inflammation meds, especially on a chronic liver disease.

I am not an expert, i am only someone who is passionate about understanding what i can and helping others learn and hopefully save lives by knowledge and proof.

Hope this helps you to ask questions and help your chams! Photo soon.

Back
Top Bottom