Male Panther with Gular Edema or Neck Swelling...

cirrhosis of the liver...

CySf8l.jpg

so,...hope these photos help. If you want to keep up with my case studies I am doing, you can look me up on FB for now.

ChameleonRescue

Happy Chameleon Keeping and Learning!

Thanks so much for the follow up! It still amazes me that a vet would suggest feeding an insectivorous cham 4 pinkies a week, or that your cham was underweight!

Just today another member posted questions about a 3 month old panther with a swollen neck. This cham is very young for something like this and I've asked him to give us his husbandry details of course.

Thanks so much for the follow up! It still amazes me that a vet would suggest feeding an insectivorous cham 4 pinkies a week, or that your cham was underweight!

Just today another member posted questions about a 3 month old panther with a swollen neck. This cham is very young for something like this and I've asked him to give us his husbandry details of course.

I didn't know that pinkies aren't necessarily good for chameleons and thought a vet should know that too, but doctors "practice medicine", they dont always know everything and i think they dont always take that extra time to research research research, and i have the time right now, so i am trying to do what i can to learn.

3 month old with edema? :(

I have a male who is about 2.5 years now that just got edema and i think it is from amikacin (he was on it for 7 months for 3 weeks each month). and i didn't know til now that your need to hydrate, hydrate, hydrate, so you can keep the kidneys from getting overworked. Hornworms helps too, they're 60% fluid. The vet said amikacin is fine and wont cause kidney damage, but i just looked up amikacin, and first sentence...... can cause kidney damage!

http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/druginfo/meds/a682661.html

I know overdosing on supplements can cause edema via kidney or liver.
It could be heart related as well i believe, but i know some chameleons may just not be healthy and die, but i am damned to know how this all works and hands on is it for me to gain this knowledge.

I just lost Linus to liver problems and i now see this as an eye opener to get my notes together and take better daily records and research. plus it was good to see what was going on, cause his blood work and fluid analysis was good except it showed higher phosphorus levels than calcium.

Please let me know about the 3month old, id love to know where the post is/keep up with it. :)

Asia this was a great post and follow up. I cannot believe the size of that liver compared to a healthy one. I believe that phosphorus levels play a role in edema. Crickets are high in phosphorus and I wonder if it just doesn't ill effect some and not others. I mean just like humans, why does one person fall prey to a disease when another who lives similarly does not. I swear when I do not feed my guy who has gular edema problems crickets...it goes away. The other day I gave him about 6 crickets and the next day it was the worse I had seen it in awhile. I tend to feed silks, horns, supers, and I try to catch some dragon flies and moths to feed on occasion also. I notice the edema is pretty much gone until I introduce crickets again. thank you for sharing, and I am sorry for all you went through with your chameleon.

You did an amazing job with him. I admire your dedication and hard work. It's sad hearing he passed away, but he sure had a loving owner!

Asia this was a great post and follow up. I cannot believe the size of that liver compared to a healthy one. I believe that phosphorus levels play a role in edema. Crickets are high in phosphorus and I wonder if it just doesn't ill effect some and not others. I mean just like humans, why does one person fall prey to a disease when another who lives similarly does not. I swear when I do not feed my guy who has gular edema problems crickets...it goes away. The other day I gave him about 6 crickets and the next day it was the worse I had seen it in awhile. I tend to feed silks, horns, supers, and I try to catch some dragon flies and moths to feed on occasion also. I notice the edema is pretty much gone until I introduce crickets again. thank you for sharing, and I am sorry for all you went through with your chameleon.

I appreciate your insight. I am learning about phosphorus and calcium and veggies, dustings ect more and more. I do wonder if my feeding crickets without calcium for so long started this whole mess? I did feed him calcium at first when i got him for about 2-3 months then freaked out cause i read about too much can cause problems.

By your experience I am curious about the crickets. I have a male panther Edwardo that had a eye/bacteria infection and i've been treating it for 7 months now. He has edema, but it comes and goes and is not as bad as Linus. I will test your theory and just do hornworms and silkies and see if it goes away and then do another test and just do crickets and see what happens. :)

Thank you again for your experience, it helps me think :)

You did an amazing job with him. I admire your dedication and hard work. It's sad hearing he passed away, but he sure had a loving owner!

Thank you for the kind words. I did my best and wish i could have done more, but because of his death, i was able to learn and hopefully help other edema ridden chameleons.

endima

From what I read in the first few post I am having the same thing with my nosy faly panther. He has a swollen neck his "armpits" are bulging out pretty far. His back legs aren't swollen though. He is recovering from a broken back because he fell from the top of his 4 foot enclosure and the vet said he had step down disease. He gave me pure calcium to give to him twice a day everyday for 60 days. He had another thing I had to give him but that ended over a month ago. His calcium is supposed to end in 2 days. Please help with Any info.

From what I read in the first few post I am having the same thing with my nosy faly panther. He has a swollen neck his "armpits" are bulging out pretty far. His back legs aren't swollen though. He is recovering from a broken back because he fell from the top of his 4 foot enclosure and the vet said he had step down disease. He gave me pure calcium to give to him twice a day everyday for 60 days. He had another thing I had to give him but that ended over a month ago. His calcium is supposed to end in 2 days. Please help with Any info.

You need to start your own thread, this one is over 3 years old..

Back
Top Bottom