Male displaying/attacking subordinate'male'

JAdrig

Here is a video of an aggressive male displaying and attacking a smaller submissive 'male'. The aggressive male was displaying to a larger, undetermined sex, mellers from the previous post. After they started head butting eachother, while the larger one started to shoot its toungue at the smaller one's eye turrets, I broke them up...the smaller more aggressive male immediately went for the submissive chameleon down below...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4wZiSL5f-OI

Well, I have two big reptariums...I had them connected for almost a week or so with the 4 CH mellers (1.1.2) and a big female, who is the mother of the 1.0.1 in a separate cage. I had to separate them with 1.1 in one cage and 0.0.2 in the other cage. Also, I separated the two siblings. The aggressive male is kind of small but he was bullying the one too much and the tail biting is wat bothers me the most...
I believe they tail bite mainly out of aggression. I caught my female biting her own tail, but it was while she was cornered after the male was being aggressive towards her.
I've seen them going after eachothers tails...it is usually the aggressive male.
When they are sleeping, with their sleeping colors, I check their tails with the flashlight for new wounds...The submissive one in the video had a bitten up tail after this week.
If it was not for mating, I would MUCH rather keep each chameleon separate from one another....It is SO much less stressful on the animals to keep them housed individually...but...I ll try my luck with breeding them.
It would also be more convenient to keep them together (space wise).

Have the two males always been housed together or did you put them in the same cage recently?

If they have been together is this a recent behavior?

No, the ones in the video have been separated for a while...I think my brother might have kept them together for a while, but when I received them...I kept them all separate.
I decided to put them all together because my male is on a mission...and I have one female (in my avitar) that layed eggs in late December last year.
I am pretty sure that the subordinate one in the video is a male...No matter how much it eats, it is fickle, it never puts on weight and is real long and slender.

No, the ones in the video have been separated for a while...I think my brother might have kept them together for a while, but when I received them...I kept them all separate.
I decided to put them all together because my male is on a mission...and I have one female (in my avitar) that layed eggs in late December last year.
I am pretty sure that the subordinate one in the video is a male...No matter how much it eats, it is fickle, it never puts on weight and is real long and slender.

Do aggressive males tend to bully females also? Or is this also a way for you to conclude the subordinate is male along with what you described above?

I apologize for the 20 questions lol, I'm trying to learn as much as I can.

I m just going to say that he approached 3 different chameleons 3 different ways...

I know that the one definite female is not currently gravid. His sibling, the larger one, was head butting him and shooting its toungue out at him...but not being offensive towards him as I would imagine ANOTHER male would do.
I peeked at the larger one, gender undetermined, while it was sleeping and noticed that its gut was pretty big throughout. Also, I noticed that the larger one seemed to lose muscle/fat/H20 really quickly by the looks of its casque. It might just be a nonreceptive female... we will see

Back
Top Bottom