Malabar spinach as gutload?

bbyoda

Chameleon Enthusiast
I have some Malabar spinach from my local farm. It's not related to spinach at all, which I know is bad for gutload since it binds calcium. How do I figure out if Malabar spinach (or any other weird veggie that finds its way to my fridge) IMG_20200810_081831.jpg is safe as a gutload?

Not familiar with it IDT(I'll have to look it up), but I can say if it's safe for you then it's probably safe as a gutload. Even spinach is fine every once in a while. I don't know of any edible greens that I wouldn't use as a gutload. The only thing that comes to mind that I'd be hesitant to gutload with is avocado since it is pretty toxic to birds from my understanding. Chameleons seem unaffected by a lot of things though, so I wouldn't worry too much.

You could try to seach for the nutritional content you want to avoid the use of anything high in oxalates or goitrogens. You likely won't find much if so just don't feed much of it as James said.

Thank you all!!! This is exactly what I was hoping to learn. Thinking I should actually be avoiding goitrogens myself since I have some borderline thyroid issues.

From what I've read it seems like Malabar spinach does have oxalates, but it's far less than regular spinach, which is why it tastes less bitter than spinach. Likes @jamest0o0 mentioned, should be safe every now and again as gutload.

P.S. any reputable sites out there with nutrient info that you know of? I eventually made my way to permaculture forums to find info...a lot of wellness sites don't cite their sources and seem invested in only sharing certain positive health benefits, not the actual breakdown of nutrients.

Almost all veggies will have an anti nutrient of some sort(look up all the things with oxalates, it's most veggies lol, and the ones that don't usually have goitrogens or something else). That's why variety is so important rather than avoiding any one thing.

Back
Top Bottom