Made a Break Through With Petsmart Cham Care!!!

CrazyChameleon5

so i went to get my little piggy cham some Crickets tonight and they asked me what i was feeding so i told them, they said how funny we were just discussing chams. I said oh really why? He said we were saying how we don't carry them because we don't know how to properly care for them and they die.( BTW the manager is awsome she knows they don't have the info to do it right so she won't bring them in)
So anyway i said you know to be honest you are 100% right you guys have no clue what they really need. I explained how i got my cham from another petsmart and how i got all the wrong info for it and then i told him all the right ways that you all have taught me(thanks i sounded so freaking smart haha). Well he said he was going to be the new animal Guy soon so he wanted to reasearch them. I told him please let me give you a suggestion, I said please go look at this website(gave him this one):D I said really go learn and ask question do it the right way not just from your little pamplets. He was so awsome he said wow thanks ( and was sincere)for the help and said he was gonna come on and do some reaserch:D So maybe just maybe we can make a difference to one petstore. They are gonna carry them so why not try to help educate them and have them do it the right way:D

Good for you. I'm always a depressed when I go to a pet store and they've got chams and other animals in woeful conditions. It makes you want to "rescue" them, but that only leads to more chams in woeful conditions. They're like "well, we moved all those, lets get more!"

If they do get some chams in, keep an eye on them and let them know what they're doing wrong!

AFH

I was so excited guys i know it's far from a total reform but maybe just maybe this guy will take it serious. I really hope he follows through in fact the store is 2 min from me and we get crickets there (for now) so maybe i will go check in on him lol. Cham Score:1 Petsmart:0 :D

That's excellent Amber.
I don't want to minimize your victory ... but ... this story is old, and continues to be repeated. I fully believe in the enthusiasm and good intentions of the person you talked to.
I had an experience last year with a fish and reptile manager at the Petsmart near me. She was awesome, and they even gave me a giftcard for helping them out with a gravid female Jackson's.
Everything was great and set up really well, UNTIL ... The district manager came to visit.
Long story short ... in no time at all everything was back to the old "Petsmart way" and no one at the store could do anything about it.
The best thing we can do is to not purchase reptiles from Petsmart, Petco, etc.
I hate to have to post this ...but you need to be warned about what WILL happen.

-Brad

That's excellent Amber.
I don't want to minimize your victory ... but ... this story is old, and continues to be repeated. I fully believe in the enthusiasm and good intentions of the person you talked to.
I had an experience last year with a fish and reptile manager at the Petsmart near me. She was awesome, and they even gave me a giftcard for helping them out with a gravid female Jackson's.
Everything was great and set up really well, UNTIL ... The district manager came to visit.
Long story short ... in no time at all everything was back to the old "Petsmart way" and no one at the store could do anything about it.
The best thing we can do is to not purchase reptiles from Petsmart, Petco, etc.
I hate to have to post this ...but you need to be warned about what WILL happen.

-Brad

Oh i fully agree brad:) he seemed really eagar but my hopes are slim it was just refreshing to hear someone actually care enough to want to help:)

i know what you mean! i got mine from petsmart and got led the total opposite way! leading to the problems i have now with mine almost dying! i hope they will soon take the steps in the right direction so people who do purchase a cham will know the correct way to raise on from the beginning.

I understand.
It's almost impossible to change the practices of a corporation like that.
What really makes me mad is the double standard they practice.
They are committed to not selling dogs and cats, only promoting adoption of homeless animals (FANTASTIC!) However, they sell birds, reptiles and amphibians, rats, chinchillas, etc .... :confused:
And who knows where their chameleons come from ... lizard mill?
I'm sure there is not a standing order at the Kammer's for veiled chameleons to be shipped to Petsmart.
Anyway ....blah blah blah
Amber, good for you for caring, Don't stop!

-Brad

I understand.
It's almost impossible to change the practices of a corporation like that.
What really makes me mad is the double standard they practice.
They are committed to not selling dogs and cats, only promoting adoption of homeless animals (FANTASTIC!) However, they sell birds, reptiles and amphibians, rats, chinchillas, etc .... :confused:
And who knows where their chameleons come from ... lizard mill?
I'm sure there is not a standing order at the Kammer's for veiled chameleons to be shipped to Petsmart.
Anyway ....blah blah blah
Amber, good for you for caring, Don't stop!

-Brad

Thanks Brad:)

My past employing company, A pet Store, was bought out by Pet Smart. I became a Pet Smart employee for a short time before I couldn't put up with it anymore, and quit. There's this procedure they follow which is called Brand Promise. It's what keeps the pet care the same at every store, and every store everywhere to look the exact same as one another. In this Brand Promise procedure manual for animal care. Within it, it tells the exact way to care for a certain animal in the store, with details even down to ho many crickets they should eat. This is where the information is false. All this information is written by some top vet in the US. So even if he wanted to care form them properly, by Pet Smart acceptable standards, it would be a breach of protocol.

It IS good that they are taking interest, and probably just as good for them to not sell chameleons but still hand out pamphlets and give advice on them.

Back
Top Bottom