Lous bloodwork is in

Knowing myself rn And having read the manual a few times i imagine it’s going to be “DRILL THE 9/16ths HOLE!” DO WE DRILL THIS PUMP INTO THE WALL?!? HOW MANY HOLES IN THE BOTTOM
OF THE CAGE FOR DRAINAGE?! CAN YOU BUILD ME A WHOLE NEW STAND PLEASE?!?”

MBD was ruled out by vet number 1, but vet number 2 said he is suspicious in the category of MBD due to inappropriate calcium to phosphorus levels. He’s always lived under a liner UVB Light however I was dusting his food with pho free calcium and d3 nearly every feeding for 3 years. I am wondering how this could happen with proper lighting and if supplements and vitamin deficiency were the culprit. :(. Mentioned issues with his kidneys and took him off the pain meds immediately.

Dusting should have been lightly with phos free calcium powder at almost all feedings and with phos free calcium/D3 powder lightly twice a month and a vitamin powder with a beta carotene (prOfprmed) source of vitamin A. Some people also give a small amount of a prEformed vitamin A once in a while. PrEformed vitamin A and D3 from supplements can build up in the system and lead to health issues which is why we use them so seldom.

This might help...
https://www.chameleonforums.com/threads/effects-of-over-supplementation.69634/

Dusting should have been lightly with phos free calcium powder at almost all feedings and with phos free calcium/D3 powder lightly twice a month and a vitamin powder with a beta carotene (prOfprmed) source of vitamin A. Some people also give a small amount of a prEformed vitamin A once in a while. PrEformed vitamin A and D3 from supplements can build up in the system and lead to health issues which is why we use them so seldom.

This might help...
https://www.chameleonforums.com/threads/effects-of-over-supplementation.69634/
It was recommended to inject a bug with some vitamin a from the drug store.

It was recommended to inject a bug with some vitamin a from the drug store.
I assume the vet recommended it?
How much? How often?

Scan down to read the articles by Kenny Lopez....
http://www.geckosunlimited.com/comm...cularius-demo-video-4-jan-2013-update-10.html
"My opinion (for what its worth) is preformed vitamin A is a medication used to treat severe cases of hypovitaminosis A and symptoms suggestive of such. It is too dangerous to use as a supplement. I use it carefully to elevate vitamin A levels. I sometimes use it to treat vitamin D toxicosis. I also use it when there is liver dysfunction. Bile salts are required for the uptake of retinol into the liver. I also use vitamin D to treat vitamin A toxicosis (along with vitamin E which seems to help)."...

Last edited:
Knowing myself rn And having read the manual a few times i imagine it’s going to be “DRILL THE 9/16ths HOLE!” DO WE DRILL THIS PUMP INTO THE WALL?!? HOW MANY HOLES IN THE BOTTOM
OF THE CAGE FOR DRAINAGE?! CAN YOU BUILD ME A WHOLE NEW STAND PLEASE?!?”
I’m no expert but I put 5 connected paper towels on the plastic tray to absorb the residual water and change them each day. This works fine for me without a drain. I mist 4 times daily with a Climist pump for 1.5 minutes each. Most of the water is collected on the leaves and Sherman gets the hydration he needs. I manually mist once or twice daily as well.

Attachments

• DD437F89-FC8F-4873-9DB3-E3CF39315785.jpeg
    DD437F89-FC8F-4873-9DB3-E3CF39315785.jpeg
    152.2 KB · Views: 167
I’m no expert but I put 5 connected paper towels on the plastic tray to absorb the residual water and change them each day. This works fine for me without a drain. I mist 4 times daily with a Climist pump for 1.5 minutes each. Most of the water is collected on the leaves and Sherman gets the hydration he needs. I manually mist once or twice daily as well.
Got it all set up! Drilled small holes and put a storage container lid I scored for free at Home Depot (had a crack on handle) as a drip pan

Day 2 of Lou being back in his main enclosure.
He is loving the mistking and will go to sit under it and close his eyes, it’s really special and cute.

He’s absolutely still clumsy but he’s getting there, definitely seeming to be relearning how to climb and perch, he’s fallen a few times but immediately wants to be back up in the vines. Since the calcium shot, his swelling in his elbow has gone down immensely to it almost being normal. His poops and urates are healthier by the cycle and white as white urates and big ole greenish brown solid poops. He is obsessed with the silkworms and was eating every day until he ate a feast, now he is back to normal of eating every other day. I am dusting his feeders with just plain old calcium.

He is shedding like a madman, whole body where in the past these last 6-8 months was only shedding in segments. Trying to decide if the 75w heatbulb is enough but think my thermometer just sucks. Taking him out in the sun for 30 minutes a day and he’s loving it. Poops almost every time and is showing more curiosity and movement.

View attachment 246265Day 2 of Lou being back in his main enclosure.
He is loving the mistking and will go to sit under it and close his eyes, it’s really special and cute.

He’s absolutely still clumsy but he’s getting there, definitely seeming to be relearning how to climb and perch, he’s fallen a few times but immediately wants to be back up in the vines. Since the calcium shot, his swelling in his elbow has gone down immensely to it almost being normal. His poops and urates are healthier by the cycle and white as white urates and big ole greenish brown solid poops. He is obsessed with the silkworms and was eating every day until he ate a feast, now he is back to normal of eating every other day. I am dusting his feeders with just plain old calcium.

He is shedding like a madman, whole body where in the past these last 6-8 months was only shedding in segments. Trying to decide if the 75w heatbulb is enough but think my thermometer just sucks. Taking him out in the sun for 30 minutes a day and he’s loving it. Poops almost every time and is showing more curiosity and movement.

I bought some mesh stuff to use as fall hammocks but can’t figure out how to put it in, so meanwhile the display of a million branches and vines is so that he has places to reach and grab onto. Constant process of trying to figure it out and adding more in and rearranging them. He slept very well last night in happy colors until about 4 am when he fell. He was still happy colors resting on the ground so I let him be until I woke again at 7am to move him.

View attachment 246265Day 2 of Lou being back in his main enclosure.

So glad he’s doing better. You may want to add some real plants now that you have the Mistking. Lou will thank you for it!

So glad he’s doing better. You may want to add some real plants now that you have the Mistking. Lou will thank you for it!
I have two at the bottom! The larger on left you can kind of see is his new big pothos and it’s been thriving, looking forward to it growing and replacing the false foliage with its vines.

I was supposed to have a recheck on Thursday but I canceled it while he is shedding. I am noticing the black spot on his ankle is gone after the shed, but there is a lot still shedding. I am thinking it will be good to give him a week of being in his main enclosure and to (if needed) draw more blood to check out his phosphorus vs calcium levels after his calcium gluconite (spelling this wrong) injection shot and more nutrition efforts, thank you @snitz427 again for the silkworms.
I am looking up everything about MBD and still am having a hard time that this is the suspicion unless we caught it way early which if the case would be great.

I was supposed to have a recheck on Thursday but I canceled it while he is shedding. I am noticing the black spot on his ankle is gone after the shed, but there is a lot still shedding. I am thinking it will be good to give him a week of being in his main enclosure and to (if needed) draw more blood to check out his phosphorus vs calcium levels after his calcium gluconite (spelling this wrong) injection shot and more nutrition efforts, thank you @snitz427 again for the silkworms.
I am looking up everything about MBD and still am having a hard time that this is the suspicion unless we caught it way early which if the case would be great.
First time in over a year that he is having an entire shed on everywhere but his eyes so far.

He is getting plain calcium with every feeding, I’ve been taking him out to sunbathe everyday, for at least 15-20 minutes. He hasn’t fallen today, or last night, and when he gets stuck and I help him he is interested in getting the heck away from me and on to that higher perch. I did notice that he hadn’t moved from 10am-2pm when I got home but when he saw me he started climbing to his basking spot. He’s rubbing his face now on the vines to get the shed off his chin.

Back
Top Bottom