Lous bloodwork is in

I put some crickets to free range and he is INTERESTED but a little too slow still. Going to put a cup in tomorrow and attach that to where he likes to rest so he can eat them. He’s not amused by me handing feeding or putting them in a bowl like I do the silkworms. He’s like MUM LEMME HUNT DAMNIT. But he’s slow and clumsy.

Fancy cricket stance

Are you still using that honey? And if so do you think it lives up to the hype?
I stopped, and it was hard to really tell. Thinking about applying it to his second wound but he shows discomfort in applying since it’s so sticky, I thought about heating it some to be easier to apply. What I did notice however is that that foot found had a black spot, before the vet gave me anti fungal to treat it and it never did anything, I did two applications of the honey, and now with this shed the black spot is completely gone however that foot is still a bit hard and inflamed. That being said I think it cleared out the infection or inflammation on that foot quite a lot. The major foot wound is healing great and I’ve gone back to diluted iodine for cleaning and the silvadine to add a layer to it. I noticed on major foot wound it would cause his skin to yellow a bit and feared it adding more bacteria to it.

Put him back in the hospital bin today
came home from work to find his sore foot (not major one from before ) has busted open and was bleeding. Used diluted iodine and manuka honey to see how it helps. His foot was pretty raw after being subjected to damp towels in his hospital bin throughout the day. I am just going to keep it dry with damp towels on the sides and tops and putting him at the bottom of his main enclosure a few times a day for a good misting. :(. One step ahead, two fall behind! Ugh poor guy. Seeing about maintaining his original recheck tomorrow instead of next week

Put him back in the hospital bin today View attachment 246429came home from work to find his sore foot (not major one from before ) has busted open and was bleeding. Used diluted iodine and manuka honey to see how it helps. His foot was pretty raw after being subjected to damp towels in his hospital bin throughout the day. I am just going to keep it dry with damp towels on the sides and tops and putting him at the bottom of his main enclosure a few times a day for a good misting. :(. One step ahead, two fall behind! Ugh poor guy. Seeing about maintaining his original recheck tomorrow instead of next week

Dangit!! Good idea on the appointment. Maybe the vet has a recommendation.

What are the damp towels in the hospital bin for? Humidity?

Dangit!! Good idea on the appointment. Maybe the vet has a recommendation.

What are the damp towels in the hospital bin for? Humidity?
Yes. Before I changed his paper towels 3-4 times a day because I was misting in there. Now I am putting some damp towels around the enclosure to try to keep humidity in, by dry towels inside. It’s so hard to maintain the hospital bin and regulate him but his feet are now bleeding and need to heal. Ugh ugh ugh. So similar to what happened with his first foot. I am wondering if the jungle vines in his main were too rough and with his shed it wa afresh baby skin which let the new wound open

Yes. Before I changed his paper towels 3-4 times a day because I was misting in there. Now I am putting some damp towels around the enclosure to try to keep humidity in, by dry towels inside. It’s so hard to maintain the hospital bin and regulate him but his feet are now bleeding and need to heal. Ugh ugh ugh. So similar to what happened with his first foot. I am wondering if the jungle vines in his main were too rough and with his shed it wa afresh baby skin which let the new wound open
Before it was just sore, now it’s opened up.

Before it was just sore, now it’s opened up.

That may be part of the healing process, like a scab falling off. your vet would know.

I am blessed (or cursed) with moderate - to - high humidity in Maryland, so just the ambient humidity would probably cut it. Whats the humidity like where you are in texas? Maybe a humidifier (for the room/area, not pointed in the bin) would help but not create such a wet environment. Are they like bed sores from standing in one place, or cuts?

That may be part of the healing process, like a scab falling off. your vet would know.

I am blessed (or cursed) with moderate - to - high humidity in Maryland, so just the ambient humidity would probably cut it. Whats the humidity like where you are in texas? Maybe a humidifier (for the room/area, not pointed in the bin) would help but not create such a wet environment. Are they like bed sores from standing in one place, or cuts?
Like bed sores. Humidity here in Texas is so so, depends on the day where I’m at.

Was able to maintain the recheck visit for tomorrow. Poor little buddy. :(
I’m almost wanting to say screw it and perch him up where he is happy. Bleeding stopped with the manuka honey. He has his fortaz shot tonight. He is in full shed and i hate what this hospital bin does for him with moderation of his temps and humidity. But I know that it probably hurts too? Ugh this is so effing hard

I’m almost wanting to say screw it and perch him up where he is happy. Bleeding stopped with the manuka honey. He has his fortaz shot tonight. He is in full shed and i hate what this hospital bin does for him with moderation of his temps and humidity. But I know that it probably hurts too? Ugh this is so effing hard
Think I’ll wrap the vines with this soft mesh I got so it’s not so scrapey on his feet

Wrapped the harder jungle vibes and all zip ties he climb a over with mesh. Melted zip tie ends off but who knows what went down when I was at work. Tried to put him in hospital bin and he was dark and miserable

I can’t even begin to explain how heart wrenching the last two months have been. Now on to vet number two and I’m sure they both think I’m a crazy person by now because I explain every detail and am questioning everything at this point. I’m relieved I can see this guy tomorrow for a real conversation on what he sees in his bloodwork, what he thinks of swelling in his elbow down since first visit, and his weight gain. Hoping to rule out MBD but I’m keeping my mind open and literally over here doing everything suggested and making changed and waiting on Lou by hand and knee. I’ve had upmost patience but it’s really hard when something like this happened today, it looks as bad as his initial foot wound. :( it’s raw and open and I think there is something going on here with that, I do not think it was from being grounded so long. There is tissue softness with his feet, the new shed on 2 out of 4 has shown improvements while the other 2 show more tenderness. :( feeling like an over analytical crazy person at this time. :(

I can’t even begin to explain how heart wrenching the last two months have been. Now on to vet number two and I’m sure they both think I’m a crazy person by now because I explain every detail and am questioning everything at this point. I’m relieved I can see this guy tomorrow for a real conversation on what he sees in his bloodwork, what he thinks of swelling in his elbow down since first visit, and his weight gain. Hoping to rule out MBD but I’m keeping my mind open and literally over here doing everything suggested and making changed and waiting on Lou by hand and knee. I’ve had upmost patience but it’s really hard when something like this happened today, it looks as bad as his initial foot wound. :( it’s raw and open and I think there is something going on here with that, I do not think it was from being grounded so long. There is tissue softness with his feet, the new shed on 2 out of 4 has shown improvements while the other 2 show more tenderness. :( feeling like an over analytical crazy person at this time. :(

If it were me (and I am not a vet, doc, etc) I would leave him in his enclosure until you see the vet. Let him be happy. Maybe he broke it open climbing around (think scab). Any chance there is something sharp in his enclosure ge is brushing up against? Sharp zip tie ends, sharp branch cuts or branch buds, broke screen, etc?

Also ask the vet about the wet paper towels, as that sounds like too much dampness and not humidity to me. Maybe that is playing into the issue.

Hope tomorrow goes well!

If it were me (and I am not a vet, doc, etc) I would leave him in his enclosure until you see the vet. Let him be happy. Maybe he broke it open climbing around (think scab). Any chance there is something sharp in his enclosure ge is brushing up against? Sharp zip tie ends, sharp branch cuts or branch buds, broke screen, etc?

Also ask the vet about the wet paper towels, as that sounds like too much dampness and not humidity to me. Maybe that is playing into the issue.

Hope tomorrow goes well!
I put him in this enclosure because of the dampness and not chance to dry out from paper towels. The ones on bottom of main enclosure is more cushion Incase he does fall but they are changed 2x a day, a whole paper towels worth just to cushion hard spots. I’ve melted all the zip ties days ago. The jungle vines I added are pretty rough so I wrapped those all with a soft and fast dry mesh fabric today. They’re helping with his grip for sure. I thought the hospital bin he was in for three weeks definitely weakened his feet which is a reason why I put him back in here (main enclosure), but it wasn’t a scab before, it was soft and tender for sure and a wound in the making, which may be caused by being grounded for so long.

Back
Top Bottom