Lou comes home today from the vet, excited...

Hillary anne

Established Member
My ambanja panther chameleon Lou has been at the vet since last Tuesday. I joined this group following his first visit to the vet and discovered how much misinformation I had received in the past... I feel I found this group just at the right time. So much better than what youtube tutorials i had watched, and information in the past!

That being said I'd like to talk about what ended up to my chameleon getting sick, to perhaps prevent someone else's cham from dealing with the same things in the future. Now that I know what I have learned, I am shocked that my guy had to suffer. :( Even our best intentions aren't always the best, as these guys husbandry is vital.

1st Vet Visit.
I had returned from out of town with a black hard scab encasing my guys foot, near the ankle. This freaked me out and I had read that a stuck shed could cause loss of foot! Freaking out I started humidifying the cage more to have him shed what I thought was dead skin. WRONG. The scab fell off and left an open wound. I took him to the vet and the dr. believes it came from a burn. (after recommendations from my usual reptile store, they told me to go from my reptisun t5h0 5.0 UVB 22' to a 10.0.) He was under this higher bulb for 3 months! Things I noticed were him eating less, and also being less active. Anyways, we started treating the wound with daily water therapy followed by an application of silver sulfadine*Sp*. Seemed to be doing better...

2nd Vet Visit.
So the wound was looking ALOT better, however Lou was falling from branches, especially at night. I'd find him on the floor sleeping when I woke up in the mornings. He had trouble gripping the branches when assisting him back up during the day and often would find him hanging by one foot. A day or so passes and now he was sleeping during the day, I assumed from exhaustion from the constant falls. So back to the vet he goes. He had liasons under his toes, as well as a puncture on his heel with some slight fungal. He then was put on a by injection antibiotic and anti inflammatory. He was moved to a hospital tub while he healed. He seemed to be doing better....

3rd Vet visit.
Mind you, this was only 3-4 days after the 2nd vet visit. Lou's behavior was getting better, his wound healing slowly but surely but looked fantastic. His feet liasons were no longer swollen and doing their own healing too. Lou was active- he wanted to climb up in this hospital tub. He was eating again. He was sleeping normal hours. He was pooping and urating quite odd and I believe that to be from the meds he was on... and then there was blood. I witnessed him dragging himself by his vent and leaving a bright red trail. I called the vet and they told me to keep an eye. it happened again, I immediately took him back in for drop off. Turns out he was trying to shed and having difficult with shedding his hemipenal, it was backed up and they had to manually take the old skin out. They did xrays and found a calcium build up in his stomach. He had lost almost 10g of weight since our first visit. Once at 178g and now at 167g. His appetite was back up and he started eating daily.

LESSON. Scouring for hours and hours and having great feedback from you all in what I may be doing wrong. Turns out it was ALOT. He has been lacking humidity as I did not know they have to have alot of humidity at night. He did not have a good middle zone in his cage as the UVB was too intense and most of his favorite places to go where up at the top of the cage. I was dusting with repcal w/D3 almost EVERY feeding! I was misting heavily 3-4 times a day but his screen enclosure did not hold it well. I had only fake foliage for him, and his favorite place to drink from was at the top corner on the screen mesh of his cage!

FIXED: With your help, I have completely taken apart his reptibreeze and sanitized everything. I insulated 3 sides of his cage with window insulation film, with foliage and new spots to explore focusing on the center of the cage. I have purchased a golden pothos and look forward to it growing, and adding additional live plants as my money allows in the future. I purchased a new 5.0 UVB long bulb and took out the 10.0, I invested in a mistking and can't wait to see the comfort difference that gives him. As you can see I am quite obsessed with making sure that my guy gets the best rest of his life possible and I am extremely grateful for this forum. <3

My ambanja panther chameleon Lou has been at the vet since last Tuesday. I joined this group following his first visit to the vet and discovered how much misinformation I had received in the past... I feel I found this group just at the right time. So much better than what youtube tutorials i had watched, and information in the past!

That being said I'd like to talk about what ended up to my chameleon getting sick, to perhaps prevent someone else's cham from dealing with the same things in the future. Now that I know what I have learned, I am shocked that my guy had to suffer. :( Even our best intentions aren't always the best, as these guys husbandry is vital.

1st Vet Visit.
I had returned from out of town with a black hard scab encasing my guys foot, near the ankle. This freaked me out and I had read that a stuck shed could cause loss of foot! Freaking out I started humidifying the cage more to have him shed what I thought was dead skin. WRONG. The scab fell off and left an open wound. I took him to the vet and the dr. believes it came from a burn. (after recommendations from my usual reptile store, they told me to go from my reptisun t5h0 5.0 UVB 22' to a 10.0.) He was under this higher bulb for 3 months! Things I noticed were him eating less, and also being less active. Anyways, we started treating the wound with daily water therapy followed by an application of silver sulfadine*Sp*. Seemed to be doing better...

2nd Vet Visit.
So the wound was looking ALOT better, however Lou was falling from branches, especially at night. I'd find him on the floor sleeping when I woke up in the mornings. He had trouble gripping the branches when assisting him back up during the day and often would find him hanging by one foot. A day or so passes and now he was sleeping during the day, I assumed from exhaustion from the constant falls. So back to the vet he goes. He had liasons under his toes, as well as a puncture on his heel with some slight fungal. He then was put on a by injection antibiotic and anti inflammatory. He was moved to a hospital tub while he healed. He seemed to be doing better....

3rd Vet visit.
Mind you, this was only 3-4 days after the 2nd vet visit. Lou's behavior was getting better, his wound healing slowly but surely but looked fantastic. His feet liasons were no longer swollen and doing their own healing too. Lou was active- he wanted to climb up in this hospital tub. He was eating again. He was sleeping normal hours. He was pooping and urating quite odd and I believe that to be from the meds he was on... and then there was blood. I witnessed him dragging himself by his vent and leaving a bright red trail. I called the vet and they told me to keep an eye. it happened again, I immediately took him back in for drop off. Turns out he was trying to shed and having difficult with shedding his hemipenal, it was backed up and they had to manually take the old skin out. They did xrays and found a calcium build up in his stomach. He had lost almost 10g of weight since our first visit. Once at 178g and now at 167g. His appetite was back up and he started eating daily.

LESSON. Scouring for hours and hours and having great feedback from you all in what I may be doing wrong. Turns out it was ALOT. He has been lacking humidity as I did not know they have to have alot of humidity at night. He did not have a good middle zone in his cage as the UVB was too intense and most of his favorite places to go where up at the top of the cage. I was dusting with repcal w/D3 almost EVERY feeding! I was misting heavily 3-4 times a day but his screen enclosure did not hold it well. I had only fake foliage for him, and his favorite place to drink from was at the top corner on the screen mesh of his cage!

FIXED: With your help, I have completely taken apart his reptibreeze and sanitized everything. I insulated 3 sides of his cage with window insulation film, with foliage and new spots to explore focusing on the center of the cage. I have purchased a golden pothos and look forward to it growing, and adding additional live plants as my money allows in the future. I purchased a new 5.0 UVB long bulb and took out the 10.0, I invested in a mistking and can't wait to see the comfort difference that gives him. As you can see I am quite obsessed with making sure that my guy gets the best rest of his life possible and I am extremely grateful for this forum. <3
I also got him calcium w/o d3 and plan on him enjoying the Texas sun outside more, as well as the rephashy & multivitamin recommendation. He is only 3.5 years and endured my well intentioned misinformation this long without any issues until this month.

Thank you for showing what having an open mind and heart can do. We see it all the time where we try to help and people are more concerned about looking like they did something wrong instead of being open to correct husbandry practices. You are the exception. We see few exceptions. Proud of you and how far you have come. Remember we have all been there at one point or another. I am still learning every day. This is not a hobby where you magically know it all. There is always something new.

If we have not given it to you yet then this is an awesome podcast on Naturalistic Hydration. Bill's podcasts are fantastic. https://www.chameleonbreeder.com/podcast/ep-89-naturalistic-hydration-for-chameleons/

Thank you for showing what having an open mind and heart can do. We see it all the time where we try to help and people are more concerned about looking like they did something wrong instead of being open to correct husbandry practices. You are the exception. We see few exceptions. Proud of you and how far you have come. Remember we have all been there at one point or another. I am still learning every day. This is not a hobby where you magically know it all. There is always something new.

If we have not given it to you yet then this is an awesome podcast on Naturalistic Hydration. Bill's podcasts are fantastic. https://www.chameleonbreeder.com/podcast/ep-89-naturalistic-hydration-for-chameleons/
This means a whole lot to me, thank you so much! I truly appreciate your advice and have enjoyed reading along these threads. Its a bummer to me that more people who come here with a problem are afraid to admit they’ve made mistakes. We take on these beautiful creatures and we are responsible for providing its best life.

I had a female veiled for three years and she eventually became eggbound and died. I was mortified. Three or four years pass and I went to a reptile convention and passed by a couple who bred panthers. They saw my face light up and called me over to go meet Lou’s dad. I explained to them the heartbreak of losing my female and that I was afraid to take one on again. Crying and literally in awe of this panther on my arm they insisted I take Lou home. He was a little bigger than my pinky finger. They set me up with feeders and his first enclosure for free. I did everything I could with their advice and some research and absolutely love him so much. I never handled him except for cage cleaning and adjustments and eventually at about 7-8 months the dude was down to hang out and just climbed onto my arm one day when I was trying to adjust a vine. Since then he perks up when he sees me and comes to the front of the cage where we go outside. His personality is something else and his trust in me is a true privilege and gift. I can not wait to see how he reacts to all the updates and new way of livin’ he has deserved for so long. I earnestly advise any new keeper to talk about what’s going on and to listen to help! Holy cow! Even recommendations my vet has weren’t the greatest in husbandry and I wouldn’t of ever known if I hadn’t come to this forum site.

You're doing amazing things for your guy I am glad you joined the forums! It is really really hard watching an animal in pain and you really picked it all up and did everything you could I am very impressed. I truly hope you have some easier times ahead! I'm sure you do!

This means a whole lot to me, thank you so much! I truly appreciate your advice and have enjoyed reading along these threads. Its a bummer to me that more people who come here with a problem are afraid to admit they’ve made mistakes. We take on these beautiful creatures and we are responsible for providing its best life.

I had a female veiled for three years and she eventually became eggbound and died. I was mortified. Three or four years pass and I went to a reptile convention and passed by a couple who bred panthers. They saw my face light up and called me over to go meet Lou’s dad. I explained to them the heartbreak of losing my female and that I was afraid to take one on again. Crying and literally in awe of this panther on my arm they insisted I take Lou home. He was a little bigger than my pinky finger. They set me up with feeders and his first enclosure for free. I did everything I could with their advice and some research and absolutely love him so much. I never handled him except for cage cleaning and adjustments and eventually at about 7-8 months the dude was down to hang out and just climbed onto my arm one day when I was trying to adjust a vine. Since then he perks up when he sees me and comes to the front of the cage where we go outside. His personality is something else and his trust in me is a true privilege and gift. I can not wait to see how he reacts to all the updates and new way of livin’ he has deserved for so long. I earnestly advise any new keeper to talk about what’s going on and to listen to help! Holy cow! Even recommendations my vet has weren’t the greatest in husbandry and I wouldn’t of ever known if I hadn’t come to this forum site.
Like I said you are the exception. And I meant it thank you for listening. We get few who do and that is what makes us want to continue to help others.

Just bout everything set up asides his lights.
mistking and more natural branches on way will be here next week. Please let me know yalls thoughts so far And id you think this will be okay for a couple days until the good stuffcomes in. Plan on hanging pothos when I’m not broke and to take out fake foliage and vines/replace those with bambo perches.

Last edited:
View attachment 244298Just bout everything set up asides his lights, mistking and more natural branches on way will be here next week. Please let me know yalls thoughts so far And id you think this will be okay for a couple days until the good stuffcomes in. Plan on hanging pothos when I’m not broke and to take out fake foliage and vines/replace those with bambo perches.
He love love loves sleeping and drinking on the top left corner closest, so I tried to replicate some familiarity there where I’ll put a dropper.

Apparently he isn’t ready to come home tonight but they won’t tell me why until later. This morning said he was okay. Oh my goodness my nerves are shot and I’m anxious as hell. I hope nothing else has come up. He’s been there since last Tuesday :(.

1st Vet Visit.

2nd Vet Visit.

3rd Vet visit.

Where did you get window insulation film? After reading this I’m inspired to do the same!

Update: went to see him, sat with the vet for a good hour and a half and he told me to bring him home and to take him back in if I’d like but he’s at a loss on why his foot won’t heal and the feet are not doing much better. He said we can run bloodwork.
I was horrified when I got him because his eyes were sooo sunken in and he was weak as hell. As soon as I got home I let my sprayer drip and he drank and drank and drank for a good 15 minutes. His colors turned happy, he is now back in his hospital tub. I am currently looking for another vet. As awesome as this one is I think he’s too busy right now. He let me walk out without paying a thing and insisted to the receptionist that “we will take care of that later”...
His wound on his ankle was doing so much better and I have a feeling that their weekend care might of been bad. He was very dehydrated and his wound broke back open. :( I am so so devastated and hope he pulls through. I am wondering if there is something I can do.

Update: went to see him, sat with the vet for a good hour and a half and he told me to bring him home and to take him back in if I’d like but he’s at a loss on why his foot won’t heal and the feet are not doing much better. He said we can run bloodwork.
I was horrified when I got him because his eyes were sooo sunken in and he was weak as hell. As soon as I got home I let my sprayer drip and he drank and drank and drank for a good 15 minutes. His colors turned happy, he is now back in his hospital tub. I am currently looking for another vet. As awesome as this one is I think he’s too busy right now. He let me walk out without paying a thing and insisted to the receptionist that “we will take care of that later”...
His wound on his ankle was doing so much better and I have a feeling that their weekend care might of been bad. He was very dehydrated and his wound broke back open. :( I am so so devastated and hope he pulls through. I am wondering if there is something I can do.
I am wondering why bloodwork wasn’t an immediate thing to do. Got told the cost and that doesn’t mean shit to me if we can figure out if it is underlying what is going on. His fecal is clear. His xrays show a kind of balloon mass that has moved along his stomach as he digests.

@Hillary anne said...
"With lights. Now im wonderin if uvb and basking placements shoild Be close orseparated more"...I always place the basking light in the corner and the UVB like you have. This allows the chameleon to select basking with UVB or just UVB alone or neither by moving lower in the cage. Just my way of doing it.

That is so frustrating! Its possible his scab broke open just due to it drying out (naturally). How does the skin under the former scab look? They thought it was fungal, right? Is he on home meds?

That is so frustrating! Its possible his scab broke open just due to it drying out (naturally). How does the skin under the former scab look? They thought it was fungal, right? Is he on home meds?
This is the weird thing. THe vet thinks it was an injury from falling, I was of town when it happened. But the fungal was for under his toes and we are treating it there as well to be safe. But it’s not healing, it was? But then he was there for an weekend and I have a feeling he didn’t get his water therapy he was getting and the antifungal, then silver sulfadine.
It looks choppy. It was a good white and now it’s busted open again and is red/bloody. I think it was due to lack of humidity which made it dry out too much. Which is why the vet wanted me to take him home to care for him myself because obviously something was being overlooked for the almost week they had him. For instance his huge thirst and sunken eyes when I came in, his eyes are already rounding out again. Everything was looking so much better before I was told to drop him off.i asked about MBD and CANV and nope not that. But what then?!

This is the weird thing. THe vet thinks it was an injury from falling, I was of town when it happened. But the fungal was for under his toes and we are treating it there as well to be safe. But it’s not healing, it was? But then he was there for an weekend and I have a feeling he didn’t get his water therapy he was getting and the antifungal, then silver sulfadine.
It looks choppy. It was a good white and now it’s busted open again and is red/bloody. I think it was due to lack of humidity which made it dry out too much. Which is why the vet wanted me to take him home to care for him myself because obviously something was being overlooked for the almost week they had him. For instance his huge thirst and sunken eyes when I came in, his eyes are already rounding out again. Everything was looking so much better before I was told to drop him off.i asked about MBD and CANV and nope not that. But what then?!
He was wanting him to stay to see if the mass in his stomach would pass since it was moving down his tract but that I can take him in for that, no more drop offs or over nights. Only directly seeing him.

Back
Top Bottom