LLLreptile 2 x 2 x 4 aluminum cage

LLLReptile emailed back and I sent them pictures. He also said that the gap on the left side is more than normal. So it wasn't just me overexaggerating. He said all of the cages are this color now. He said that is charcoal, but it looks more like a brownish bronze color to me. They should update their picture. Anyways, I just got my other one, so I am gonna put that together and see how that one looks.

I wrote a reply and then my computer took a dump.. grrrrr

Take some pics and upload them for us. It would give is a better idea of the gap your talking about.

Here is a picture of a cage I built from LLL last weekend.

IMG_0308.jpg

Yeah your cage looks just like mine. Same exact gap. I guess I must be overly picky because to me that gap on the left side is horrible looking. I'm going to try and fix that where the top mates better than the bottom. That way it's not as noticeable. I am also going to the hardware store and get a thicker PVC for the bottom.

Looking at he four 2x2x4 cages I have in a row.... they all have the same exact gap. I have never had a bug escape through there. The door closes up against the PVC so I am wondering why bug escapees are a concern for you?

If you look at the left where the gap is, there is a small hole at the very edge where the white guard ends. It's small, but a small cricket could fit through there. I think I am going to plug that area up with a thermostat wire. It'll fit in there. I just bought a quarter inch piece of plexiglass to fit on the bottom instead of the pvc. What do you guys think about putting it on the bottom of the cage rather than putting it on the inside? I was thinking about glueing it to the bottom the the enclosure rather than putting it on the inside.

Why plexi instead of the PVC? I wouldn't glue it-I like to take those out and soak them in a tub of bleach water.

I know someone with a laser cutter that deals in plexiglass so that is why it was easier for me to get Plexiglass. It's sturdier than PVC also unless I went to a really thick piece. The reason I was thinking about glueing it is because I don't want water to seep on the edges of it. I maybe overthinking it. I know I will have a drain in the middle. I just think some water would seep on the edges of the board. I wanted to glue it on the bottom and caulk it was water would only drain from the center.

damnit... I wrote a reply and my computer crapped out :mad:....

Well anyway... The idea behind the PVC flexing is that the water will drain to the center of the cage. This works great. BUT water ALWAYS splashes out of the cage when it drips to the bottom of the cage from the plant leaves above. I think you might be over thinking this. And the gap on the left of the cage in all of my cages is hardly big enough for a temp probe wire... Not really worried about a cricket going through that hole. If you have this size of a cage I can't imagine you are feeding off very small feeders since you are most likely putting adult chamelons into the cage? Anything older than a 2-3 week old cricket isn't getting out of the cage unless its through the drain hole at the bottom... which is prolly bigger than the hole at the top of the cage.

I almost purchased the same cage, but chose a Zoomed Reptibreeze of the same size. I had to pay a little more because it was a special order, but I have no complaints with the cage. Just a suggestion.

Back
Top Bottom