live plants

pacificwynd

my umbrella trees keep dying!!!! anyone else have this issue/solutions?
any suggestions for some heartier plants that are ok for the occasional snack?

i have a pothos in there now. how would you recommend putting it in? hanging or on the bottom and make it go upwards?

I hang mine from the top and use a large Schefflera Gold Capella on the bottom. No issues with those at all. I am surprised yours are dieing, they are extremely hardy plants. Your are probably getting too much water in the soil, which will cause you problems with any plant you put in, but there are a couple tricks to defeating that problem. I use sphagnum moss on the top of my pots, it seems to absorb the water well and keeps the plant from drowning.

If you still have the soil that was in it from where you bought it, you may want to replace it with a faster draining mixture. Somebody on here has a post about a potting mixture they came up with that's ( I think ) 50/50 play sand and coconut fiber.

i definately think it was too much water. and fiona tends to pull the branches till they droop to the ground. and then eats all the leaves off the top of the tree.... silly brat. hasn't been eating the pothos though. not as tasty?

my umbrella trees keep dying!!!! anyone else have this issue/solutions?
any suggestions for some heartier plants that are ok for the occasional snack?

I am using a Jasmon plant in mine and Jasper loves it.... I bought it at Lowes for 10 bucks

2009-09-26164531.jpg

2009-09-26164409.jpg

if your umbrella plant is dying, its either from improper lighting and probably way to much water being ran through the pot.

try switching out the soil mixture to be more sand/gravel...

i had hibiscus and it started dying bc it got over watered; switched to umbrella and havnt had any more problems since

if your umbrella plant is dying, its either from improper lighting and probably way to much water being ran through the pot.

try switching out the soil mixture to be more sand/gravel...

I have to agree with this. If you don't provide enough light no matter how well your soil drains your scheff will die. They are high light demanding plants.

renzo0684, could you do us a favor and please resize your pics before posting them. I have a 16 inch monitor and your pics are still huge. It's a little annoying. Thanks :rolleyes:

Back
Top Bottom