Live plants in habitat

BDallas

I’ve noticed that there are several chameleon owners that use live plants in their habitats which helps in several areas of the cham’s life. My question is and it could be a dumb question (I’m new to the chameleons myself) but, do you keep plants in a pot or just put a layer of substrate in the tank and allow the plants to grow naturally, also allowing any droppings to fertilize? I have a veiled cham that I throughly enjoy and want to keep him as happy as possible so naturally I would like to keep his habitat as natural as possible. Just looking for ideas or knowledge on the subject. Right now I have a potted plant in his cage and it is a safe plant for him to hang out in.
889EA199-C3E9-454A-B42B-78D1C03AE4EC.jpeg

I’ve noticed that there are several chameleon owners that use live plants in their habitats which helps in several areas of the cham’s life. My question is and it could be a dumb question (I’m new to the chameleons myself) but, do you keep plants in a pot or just put a layer of substrate in the tank and allow the plants to grow naturally, also allowing any droppings to fertilize? I have a veiled cham that I throughly enjoy and want to keep him as happy as possible so naturally I would like to keep his habitat as natural as possible. Just looking for ideas or knowledge on the subject. Right now I have a potted plant in his cage and it is a safe plant for him to hang out in.
View attachment 272714
Hi do you only have that one plant? veileds sometimes like take bites out of plants. Some people plant their plants inside their cage but you need a bioactive enclosure which means very specific dirt and cleaners etc. I just use potted plants. for plant types I use pothos, ficus, corn plant, and mini lemon

Hi do you only have that one plant? veileds sometimes like take bites out of plants. Some people plant their plants inside their cage but you need a bioactive enclosure which means very specific dirt and cleaners etc. I just use potted plants. for plant types I use pothos, ficus, corn plant, and mini lemon
Can I see a photo of your enclosure?

he has a potted plant with him right now, I would like to get a bigger enclosure at some point but, right now he seems to be pretty content with this.
5F3CFA85-5D6B-421E-86A3-00C2BE148E9F.jpeg

Chameleon Info:
  • Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care?
  • Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon?
  • Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders?
  • Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule?
  • Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?
  • Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?
  • History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.

Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions?
  • Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?
  • Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?
  • Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity?
  • Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind?
  • Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?
  • Location - Where are you geographically located?

Current Problem - The current problem you are concerned about.

--------------

Please Note:
  1. The more details you provide the better and more accurate help you will receive.
  2. Photos can be very helpful.

I always liked to grow mine out of the bottom. Looks natural. You obviously need a substrate bin under your cage for this. You can make one from wood or whatever, seal it and line it with pond liner. Or you can find a bin or flower pot that fits underneath.

My question is .... do you keep plants in a pot or just put a layer of substrate in the tank and allow the plants to grow naturally, also allowing any droppings to fertilize?
If it isn't evident by now, people do both or either. The latter is known as a bioactive enclosure.
If this interests you, I'd do a lot of reading & watching vids before committing, so you know what to realistically expect. There's a ?-ton of info in the archives, google, and Youtube.

Hi and welcome to the forums! I love gardening and thus went bioactive - it's as much fun as the chameleon husbandry, IMHO.

This blog post by @cyberlocc goes into detail on how to set it up. It's a good next step to read after the Wikipedia article @Klyde O'Scope shared.

https://www.chameleonforums.com/blogs/intro-to-bio-activity.2429/

If bioactive isn't for you then you can totally just set up potted plants throughout. Here's a video on how to do that by @Gingero

Cyber did a great job on that blog, dunno why he left the forums.

I really appreciate the help! I think I’ll do some reaserch on it, my veiled chameleon is only about 4.5” right now but, a larger enclosure is in his future (he’s in a 16x16x36 right now, I think it’s a zoo med) Is there anywhere on the forum to fill out the husbandry form or is it just a matter of typing it up and saving it for multiple uses?

It's just a matter of typing up your answers to the form for folks to review. Might help to do a separate thread with a new subject asking for feedback. More photos when you submit the form would be good too - showing the top of the cage and lighting.

This is my pride and joy I built with the help of my partner I have used a 40lter container filled it with soil and a few top layers of forest floor thats more safe for him he has pothos, corn plant, early crocus, vriesea, parlor palms, philodendron and prayer plant
He also has other rooms a 5ft yellow butterfly palm and a 2ft dragon tree
20200809_121034.jpg

This is my pride and joy I built with the help of my partner I have used a 40lter container filled it with soil and a few top layers of forest floor thats more safe for him he has pothos, corn plant, early crocus, vriesea, parlor palms, philodendron and prayer plant
He also has other rooms a 5ft yellow butterfly palm and a 2ft dragon tree
View attachment 274487
I would recommend ditching the hammock....

I think that they say their nails might get caught in the hammock
correct! beat me to it.
OK, but don't "they" say that about nearly everything? :eek:
Claws/nails could get caught in hammocks, branches, screen mesh, fake vines, bark, bamboo (or other) screens, fixtures, other chameleons' mouths, and just about anything else they climb on... It doesn't seem to dissuade folks from utilizing any of these items, or chameleons from climbing on them.

IDK... It seems a little like worrying about all the reasons little kids might fall down & skin their knees, but... little kids fall down and skin their knees! (Between the ages of 4-6, there weren't 3 consecutive days I didn't have gauze bandages on one or both knees! Klyde O'Scope was a clumsy child. :rolleyes: )
Paraphrasing zefrank1, "That's how little kids do."

Sorry about the micro-rant. I guess I don't (yet) have an opinion on hammocks (I'm still trying to figure out enclosure mesh! :unsure: )

OK, but don't "they" say that about nearly everything? :eek:
Claws/nails could get caught in hammocks, branches, screen mesh, fake vines, bark, bamboo (or other) screens, fixtures, other chameleons' mouths, and just about anything else they climb on... It doesn't seem to dissuade folks from utilizing any of these items, or chameleons from climbing on them.

IDK... It seems a little like worrying about all the reasons little kids might fall down & skin their knees, but... little kids fall down and skin their knees! (Between the ages of 4-6, there weren't 3 consecutive days I didn't have gauze bandages on one or both knees! Klyde O'Scope was a clumsy child. :rolleyes: )
Paraphrasing zefrank1, "That's how little kids do."

Sorry about the micro-rant. I guess I don't (yet) have an opinion on hammocks (I'm still trying to figure out enclosure mesh! :unsure: )
i think its because of the little fibres but i'm not a hammock expert

Thinking further... If it were about claws/nails, I would think the same hazard would apply to bearded dragons, and those little bastards :love: those hammocks.

Back
Top Bottom