LITTLEbig Question :). (about water)

FAIL

I use a mistking, I have been using tap water with the appropriate amount of reptisafe in the water to dechlorinate it just the way I raised the chams when i hand sprayed them. However, one of my chams loves to sit under the mister every time it turns on and is now getting the reptisafe like stuff on him from where the water sits on him...Is this ok? or do I need to use different water now? If so-I cant afford to put 5 gallons of bottled distilled/spring water in the mistking every other day...So how should I go about changing to a different water?

honestly at lot of reptile keepers seem to do fine just letting tap water sit out for 24hrs to get rid of the chlorine. If your tap water is decent to begin with, this should be fine.

I think the ticket to doing that is to a) have good surface area (so, put the water in an open container like those 5 gallon paint buckets) and b) give it a stir every 6 hours or so.

You also need to know whether your local water is purified with chlorine or chloramine. If the latter, then it's not going to evaporate.

So it's fine my cham is getting reptisafe colored :p? (When reptisafe sits on something it turns white :p).

see...I don't know about that as I don't use the product or the system, so I just went for the "water" question. If your chameleon is turning white though, I'd think that's a red flag.

**edited to add**

I researched the product a little...the instructions call for 1 teaspoon per 5 gallons of water. I find it odd that it would be so concentrated that it could affect the animal that way.

1 teaspoon for 5 gallons :O?! shwoo lol that's for aquatic animals
Directions for use:
Terrarium Drinking Water Bowls:
Add 2 drops of Reptisafe to each 8 fl oz
of tap water. Add every time water is changed ie.daily

I use the same stuff and haven't seen anything changing white - animal or otherwise. Have you tried buying a new bottle?

I think the ticket to doing that is to a) have good surface area (so, put the water in an open container like those 5 gallon paint buckets) and b) give it a stir every 6 hours or so.

You also need to know whether your local water is purified with chlorine or chloramine. If the latter, then it's not going to evaporate.

Or you can just throw in a air stone with a cheap aquarium pump. That will increase the surface area tremendously and reduce your wait time.

i researched the tap water but i dont know if it's decent or not...no chlorine, just chloromines(which reptisafe removes).

Well, neither of the reptisafe options is "misting" and I thought "habitat water" was closer than "drinking bowl".

This post, by dodolah has interesting info:https://www.chameleonforums.com/question-about-little-dripper-7845/#post57914

depends on what state you live.
I live in soCal and i do not find it imperative to use reptisafe. i just use the same water i use to drink.

I try use reptisafe but since they contain calcium and other mineral enhancements, it messes up my supplementation regiment.

I would think it might also present a problem for the mist system. However, I saw that Chams1 uses it. That would be someone to ask.

You could invest in one of those "attach to the tap" filters.

Natural spring water

I personally just use natural spring water. I don't trust the tap water in the big city.. lol

Back
Top Bottom