Rain maker water

Old&bold

Hi, I have been reading a lot of threads on this forum which I have found really useful and appreciate there is a huge amount of knowledge here so my question is regarding the best water to use in my rainmaker presently I am using bottled still water so just wondering should I switch to filtering tap water or going for distilled water?

Hi, I have been reading a lot of threads on this forum which I have found really useful and appreciate there is a huge amount of knowledge here so my question is regarding the best water to use in my rainmaker presently I am using bottled still water so just wondering should I switch to filtering tap water or going for distilled water?
The main consideration I made when using a mist system is that tap or bottled / mineral water will accumulate all the minerals on the nozzle. Eventually it will reduce the spray. I don't think it's a rapid process but one to be aware of none the less.

I also have a drip system you can prob get away with using tap water or bottled water in there if need be.

and while I don't need to use the r/o water in the dripper it often times drips into my nepenthes pitcher plant which doesn't like tap or enriched water or soil so I'm all in on the R/o

I use the r/o water from a local store for my own purposes and get 20 gallons at a time. It's used for a bunch of stuff, carnivorous plants, morning coffee, cooking and also in my shrimps aquarium but also for the mist system. I've had a mist king for about 4 years and use r/o water with no build up or issues with clogged mist heads. When I moved last September and took the opportunity to clean the lines and inspect the mist system and it was all looking great.

Sorry for the rant I made the coffee extra strong this morning

Yeah I have always used distilled water in my misters , I don't have easy access to ro, ( unless I put a system in , I have my own distiller at home which wasn't expensive, ( it depends on how easy access you have to it vs electric and time to wait on it distilled, I worked out £25 for 30 liters buying vs around £9 electric for the equivalent at home, I just use tap water and repti safe in the dripper

You can also look into DI water. Its sometimes alot cheaper than distilled, even though its basically the same product, just s different method.

You can also look into DI water. Its sometimes alot cheaper than distilled, even though its basically the same product, just s different method.
Thanks for the suggestion, I did a quick search and your right there is quiet a difference in price so a bit of a money saver there

Most drinking water (not spring water) sold in gallon jugs in stores is RO water. I used to use only distilled in my misting systems but with the recent shortages I have been running a mix of distilled and RO gallons. I have had no visible build up on the nozzles so far after a year of use.

If you look around local garden centres with tropical fish or fish stores, they are the best and cheapest way to get RO water. I get 25 litres for £3 which isn't bad.

Back
Top Bottom