Lip problem with female panther

josh payette

I noticed that the bottom lip on my little girl is starting to curl downward. Last night she was blowing bubbles. Anybody seen this before.

I dont know about the lip going down but I do know that
blowing bubbles is a sign of a uri (respitory infection) for which you will need to
go to a vet and have the vet diagnose her and put her on the right antibiotics/medicine.
Any ways you need to get to a vet ASAP because the lip going down doesnt sound very good AT ALL and URIs are potentionaly deadly if not treated fast enough

Thanks. Heres a couple pics.
HPIM0811-Optimized.jpg

HPIM0815-Optimized.jpg

HPIM0818-Optimized.jpg

HPIM0822-Optimized.jpg

I have absouletly NO clue at all what that is.
But it reminds me of what happens when some one has a stroke D:
You need to take her to the vet now.
I dont think anything we tell you is gonna fix that :(

What's the cage temperature at for your basking/ambient?
That most certainly doesn't look good.

It looks like bubbles from a Respiratory Infection, but again, the pictures aren't the greatest quality so I can't be sure.

Definitely get a vet check out for any bubbling in the mouth.

Hi,

It looks to me as if it could be either Infectious Stomatitis (Mouth Rot) or a VIt A Deficency???

Either way i think a vet check would be very beneficial.

Regards

Ollie

Hi,

It looks to me as if it could be either Infectious Stomatitis (Mouth Rot) or a VIt A Deficency???

Either way i think a vet check would be very beneficial.

Regards

Ollie

The pics are just not good enough to be sure and no one should suggest a Vit A deficiency without knowing everything about your husbandry (light brands and age, temps, gutloading, supplements and schedule, etc). Treating a Vit A deficiency incorrectly can be dangerous.

I really can't tell, but if her lips are swollen so much that they are pushed out it could be stomatitis. Are there red sores or whitish cheesy looking patches on her gums? This is painful...is she eating or drinking? You will definitely need a vet to look at this in person.

MBD can cause a soft or deformed jaw, but I can't see that her jaw itself looks bad. If she has a lot of saliva or bubbling it could be a sign of a respiratory infection, but I suppose a cham with stomatitis and deformed lips could also show a lot of bubbling or build up along the lip too. Chams with respiratory infections tend to sit inactive, eyes shut, dark, under their basking light much of the day. They also tend to sit with their nose tipped straight up, gaping (even when not basking), puffing out their throat and gulping heavily over and over, not eating or drinking.

The pics are just not good enough to be sure and no one should suggest a Vit A deficiency without knowing everything about your husbandry (light brands and age, temps, gutloading, supplements and schedule, etc). Treating a Vit A deficiency incorrectly can be dangerous.

I really can't tell, but if her lips are swollen so much that they are pushed out it could be stomatitis. Are there red sores or whitish cheesy looking patches on her gums? This is painful...is she eating or drinking? You will definitely need a vet to look at this in person.

MBD can cause a soft or deformed jaw, but I can't see that her jaw itself looks bad. If she has a lot of saliva or bubbling it could be a sign of a respiratory infection, but I suppose a cham with stomatitis and deformed lips could also show a lot of bubbling or build up along the lip too. Chams with respiratory infections tend to sit inactive, eyes shut, dark, under their basking light much of the day. They also tend to sit with their nose tipped straight up, gaping (even when not basking), puffing out their throat and gulping heavily over and over, not eating or drinking.

Hi Carlton,

If the pics are 'just not good enough' then how is that your resolution is any more amicable then anybody elses???

I second that the pics arent good enough for a full prognosis, however this forum is for suggestions and my suggestion is equally as legiable as yours.

I would however suggest a vet chack as i did origionally, and i would also say that this could absolutely be a case of mouth rot.

Ollie

Hypovitaminosis should only be diagnosed by a veterinarian. The thing is, if you tell someone that they may be lacking in a certain vitamin, especially a fat soluble vitamin such as vitamin A, that person may think that is the problem, and without consulting with a veterinarian, begin to over supplement with vitamin A. At this point, it could be many different things, that say the person is already giving too much vitamin A (which in excess can bind to calcium therefore causing MBD), and they give more, it can have detrimental effects such as internal bleeding. I think that is what Carlton was saying.

HI FFTs Rescue,

I fully appreciate where you are both coming from. However....

The person asks for help so we give help.... thought that was the whole point in the forum??

And i did also say to go to see a Herp Vet ! :)

Thanks

ollie

Hi Carlton,

If the pics are 'just not good enough' then how is that your resolution is any more amicable then anybody elses???

I second that the pics arent good enough for a full prognosis, however this forum is for suggestions and my suggestion is equally as legiable as yours.

I would however suggest a vet chack as i did origionally, and i would also say that this could absolutely be a case of mouth rot.

Ollie

:confused: I wasn't trying to argue with anyone. What I meant to suggest was that a vitamin A deficiency isn't easily diagnosed from a photo (good or bad) and without knowing more about the husbandry could lead someone into trouble. Overdoses in preformed Vit A used as a treatment can kill.

There may be nothing wrong with offering an opinion, but since vitamin A is something to be careful of, IMHO I would have included a suggestion that a test be done by a vet to make sure.

It could be that the bubbling is from a respiratory infection but it might also be because the lips are parted. It looks like what I've seen in mouth rot cases...but the only way to be sure what is going on and get the proper treatment in a case like this IMHO is to take it to a vet.

Thanks to everyone. I called the vet but he wasn't in. The office said he would call tomorrow. Her lip looks like she is pouting, she has rubbed her lip on the perch like it iches. The cage is 30x30x48 reptarium, 5.0 uvb, 50 watt heat bulb, mistking misting system that goes off 4 times a day for a total 60 min. I feed crickets that been gut loaded with vit-all and dust with minrel-all with d-3. sorry about the pics. I will try to get better one tonight.

HI FFTs Rescue,

I fully appreciate where you are both coming from. However....

The person asks for help so we give help.... thought that was the whole point in the forum??

And i did also say to go to see a Herp Vet ! :)

Thanks

ollie

The point that most others are making is that you shouldn't listen to what people "guess" could be wrong with your animal over some poor pictures.
If he goes "well some guy said it was a Vit A problem" then tries to treat for it and causes an overdose, it's likely worse off then before he started.

Here is what i know about stomatitis (mouth rot):
The vet should do a culture on that swollen lips to see what is the cause of the infection on top of cleaning the abscess.
Depending on the cause, then a specific medication (atibiotic, antifungal, or etc) will be given.

A lot of the time, stomatitis is a secondary disease. Meaning that this disease is actually a symptom of a bigger underlying problem (normally, an improper husbandry). If this problem is solved, then the stomatitis will be less likely to come back.

Perhaps, we need more detail on your husbandry? with that, we can help you fine tune things that might cause a future problem.

Back
Top Bottom