My female Veiled Chameleon is staying angry at everything

Beelzebun

So Ive had my girl Jinx for about a month now, and when she's annoyed with something, she tends to get dark black and brown spots.. but recently she has them constantly. And she gets really mad when I feed her.. anybody know why?

hello and welcome! That sounds to me like she is constantly stressed. Some questions I have:

1. How often do you handle her?
2. Where is her enclosure located? Is it a high traffic area?
3. How high up off the ground is her enclosure? Does she have branches that are either at eye level or above your head so she can look down on you? (height equals safety for chameleons)
4. Any pets that can stress her out like dogs or cats?
5. How much foliage does she have in her enclosure?

Pictures of your girl, and her full enclosure would be very helpful! :)

I've attached some pictures, now to answer those questions:
1. Very rarely, I usually just stick my hands in her cage to feed her and change her water drip
2. It is in my bedroom, so nobody really comes in here or gets too close to her very often
3. She's on a nightstand, we couldn't find anywhere else for her with access to power outlets for her lights
4. No, we keep the dog outside or in the kitchen
5. The foliage we have is as pictured below. We haven't had the extra money to get more, as my grandma just got outta the hospital and can't get outta bed.

Attachments

• IMG20231122122059.jpg
    IMG20231122122059.jpg
    134.6 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG20231122122050.jpg
    IMG20231122122050.jpg
    114.2 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG20231122122042.jpg
    IMG20231122122042.jpg
    99.1 KB · Views: 22
Thanks for sharing! She does look a little plump...I'm actually thinking now that she has some eggs she needs to lay. Chameleons will lay eggs with or without a male, much like chickens do. I'm afraid you'll need to get her a lay bin asap so that she has somewhere to lay her eggs, otherwise she will get egg bound and die.

Attached is a document that contains the information for a lay bin.

I would also suggest adding more branches to her enclosure, I understand finances are tight right now but you could get the branches from outside, wash them well and then she'll have better use of her enclosure. Once money isn't as tight I would recommend getting some live plants for her, being able to hide behind folage makes them feel secure.

Attachments

• Lay Bin.jpg
    Lay Bin.jpg
    76.5 KB · Views: 20
  • Plants.png
    Plants.png
    887.8 KB · Views: 26
  • Safe Plants.pdf
    544 KB · Views: 36
Back
Top Bottom