Lethargic Yemen

mickyc1

I have had my yemen cham for about a month now. I believe her to be around two years old. She has been perfect up until yesterday when she got very lethargic and hasn't moved from her location in 24 hrs and seems to be sleeping quite a lot. She recently had part of her tail removed as when i got her there was a ridiculous amounts of retained shed on the tip of her tail. She was treated with baytril for a week after getting the tip removed, this was about 3 weeks ago. I'm quite worried as she has been such a lively friendly cham up until the last few days. I have been told to put a laying box in her housing which is not there. I did not know this was needed as this cham was bought at a silly price because the local petshop was closing down. I keep snakes and gecko's so it wasn't an impulse buy! The temps are good in her housing and she gets misted twice a day. Any help would be greatly appreciated :)

Please fill this out, it will help us help you.

Cage Info:

* Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions?
* Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?
* Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?
* Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity?
* Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind?
* Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?
* Location - Where are you geographically located?

Chameleon Info:

* Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care?
* Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon?
* Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders?
* Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule?
* Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?
* Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?
* History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.
* Current Problem - The current problem that you are concerned about.

Pictures are helpful

btw, here is a picture i just took of her

DSCN2119.jpg

Please answer the questions above. She looks like she might have eggs. Get a laying bin in NOW before she becomes egg bound.

She's beautiful and yes, I suspect she is gravid. They get bulky looking in front of their hips, bask more, get less active and their appetite can drop as the eggs crowd their stomach and intestines. You may be able to feel eggs also. Veileds (Yemen) can produce infertile eggs even if they've never been with a male. She'll need to deposit her eggs at some point.

Please fill this out, it will help us help you.

Cage Info:

* Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions? - 4 x 2 x 2 arboreal vivarium
* Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule? Exo Terra UVB lighting and 60 watt spot lamp. Both on for 12 hours then off for 12 hours
* Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?
Basking spot is around 98 degrees, floor of the viv is around 90 degrees. Overnight temps are dropped to around 78 degrees, whatever the room temp is, never gets much lower. Measured by laser temp gun.
* Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity? I spray the viv twice a day, i do not measure humidity %
* Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind? Devils Ivy
* Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor? The viv is located in my living room and it raised about 2 ft of the floor. As its only me in the house most of the time traffic is kept to a minimal. Its not located near any air vents or fans
* Location - Where are you geographically located? UK

Chameleon Info:

* Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care? Veiled/Yemen, 1 month
* Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon? 4 or 5 times a week
* Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders? Large locusts x 2 every day and put crickets in every couple of days, maybe 7 or 8. Locusts and crickets gut loaded using bran, carrots and limes or oranges.
* Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule? Nutrobol is used twice a week on locusts and crickets
* Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking? Misted twice a day out of spray bottle for about 5 seconds and a time.
* Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites? Droppings seem to be a dark brown colour. Uric balls seem to be broken up and have been well spread across the viv, this has never been the case before. The cham has never been tested for parasites.
* History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you. As said above, the cham recently had part of its tail removed at the vets because of a retained shed when i purchased it.
* Current Problem - The current problem that you are concerned about. Seems to be very lethargic and sleeping during the day.

Pictures are helpful

Please see above

Thank you so much guys. I cant do anything until the morning as it is 12am here and there is nowhere open for me to get soil/sand for the laying box. She should be okay until the morning shouldnt she?

If you have a flower pot or anything with dirt in it, I would put something in there for her now just until you can get the right stuff. Just make sure the dirt is moist. She might need to lay those eggs now.

Also you are keeping her way to hot. You should bask her in the low 80's.

She's pretty, despite the tail loss.

In addition to getting a laying bin ready for her...

You might want to revisit the temperature and humidty provided. You said " Basking spot is around 98 degrees, floor of the viv is around 90 degrees. "and " i do not measure humidity %" seems to me this temp is a little high for a female, especially the "cooler" area - At the bottom of the enclosure, the cooler area should be around 70 degrees F, and the ambient /middle range temp of around 75F. And you'll want to start monitoring humidity as well.

You may want to improve your insect gutloading. Here's a link to more info: https://www.chameleonforums.com/blogs/sandrachameleon/75-feeder-nutrition.html

You might also use a plain calcium supplement a couple times a week, on the days not using the Nutribol. Crickets have a poor phosphorous to calcium ratio, so I dust every cricket with calcium. This is esspecially important if you gutload doesnt have high calcium

Is the Urate white, or is it all or partially yellow or orange? Do you see her drink?

Is the exoterra UVB bulb a clf coil type or a linear tube?

She's pretty, despite the tail loss.

In addition to getting a laying bin ready for her...

You might want to revisit the temperature and humidty provided. You said " Basking spot is around 98 degrees, floor of the viv is around 90 degrees. "and " i do not measure humidity %" seems to me this temp is a little high for a female, especially the "cooler" area - At the bottom of the enclosure, the cooler area should be around 70 degrees F, and the ambient /middle range temp of around 75F. And you'll want to start monitoring humidity as well.

You may want to improve your insect gutloading. Here's a link to more info: https://www.chameleonforums.com/blogs/sandrachameleon/75-feeder-nutrition.html

You might also use a plain calcium supplement a couple times a week, on the days not using the Nutribol.

Is the Urate white, or is it all or partially yellow or orange? Do you see her drink?

Is the exoterra UVB bulb a clf coil type or a linear tube?

The UVB is a linear tube. Her urate seems like an off white colour, but it always had. I haven't seen her drinking but i was told this isn't surprising if you dont watch them 24/7. I found a block of reptilsoil i use with african fat tails and have put it in a tub in her viv. Its moist but she will be able to tunnel. I really appreciate this help folks, everything i am doing wrong i will put right ASAP.

The laying box does not seem to have been disturbed but some good news is she is a lot more alert and moving about this morning. Thanks again for your help guys :)

Back
Top Bottom