Tail rot

My cham was biting her tail with little bugs on it that were in the dirt she has not bit it since i cleaned it but her tail hasn't gotten any better and i think its tail rot but im not sure she is starting to shed and im hoping that she will shed off all of the bad parts its just the tip (not what i meant) i have some pics i can share we are going to clean it if she doesn't shed it.

Awe, I am so sorry about this situation for you and your little girl. Definitely share pics of her whole body, tail area and a pic of her enclosure would be great as well. Hopefully you’ll get her back to good in no time. You’re in good hands here. Welcome to both of you!!!

Attachments

• IMG_20240117_195820.jpg
    IMG_20240117_195820.jpg
    184.5 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_20240117_195811.jpg
    IMG_20240117_195811.jpg
    177.7 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_20240117_195806.jpg
    IMG_20240117_195806.jpg
    182.5 KB · Views: 19
i dont have a phone my parents took it🙄
I wonder if you could ask your parents if you could take a photo because you’re worried about your chameleon? Maybe you could show them his tail, and they might give you your phone just to take a picture for us to help him. That might understand that and let you have it back to help take care of your pet.

I wonder if you could ask your parents if you could take a photo because you’re worried about your chameleon? Maybe you could show them his tail, and they might give you your phone just to take a picture for us to help him. That might understand that and let you have it back to help take care of your pet.
Adding on to what @Lt.WorfReportingForDuty said, you could even have your parents create an account or give them the info to your account then they can come on chameleon forums and take the pictures then upload them for us to analyze and we can do a full husbandry review. Knowing this is an animals life Im sure they would have the heart to come on here with their cell phone and give us some photos to analyze/stay in touch with us about what is going on and what needs to happen next since the people here have the experience and information needed on what you might need to be done. This could be life threatening and sending us some photos/helping us help your Cham could potentially save a life which is most important!

Have you told your parents what is going on with your chameleons tail. It’s concerning and needs attention from a responsibly adult, tell them your chameleon is hurt and ask if them if you can get him seen by a vet and tell them it’s inhumane to leave your chameleon this way. You need to say that to them.

Unfortunately there is very little we can help with if we do not have clear pictures. Per the tail if you are seeing areas that are black this indicates there are areas of necrotic tissue. Meaning there is infection and the tissue is dying off. This is extremely dangerous with chameleons. If it is bleeding this is also a major issue.

once the shed has completed turn on all lighting in the room and try to take better pics with your computer.

yes i have told them but they think that because they did a little research they know everything about them but they don't and we dont have a vet near us anywhere but we are going to start using saltwater to clean her tail and see if it helps once she is done shedding

We truly need some more information. And better photos. Their are some questions I’d like to ask in the meantime since we are getting nowhere on this topic. As said before by @Beman we really can’t give any advice without the clear photos of the chameleon and full enclosure/set up. Regardless I’m just going to ask a series of some questions since you can’t provide us what is needed right now in this rare occurrence. I’d really appreciate it if you take the time to answer each question, this can still help us tremendously with correcting some errors that you could be making in the meantime. (You can copy and paste the questions then add your reply.)
  • Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care?
  • Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon?
  • Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What are the size of the feeders? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders?
  • Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with, and what is the schedule?
  • Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long do you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?
  • Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?
  • History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.

Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions?
  • Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?
  • Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?
  • Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity?
  • Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind?
  • Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high-traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?
  • Location - Where are you geographically located?
Your chameleon needs care from a vet. What your chameleon is experiencing is probably life threatening and care on this shouldn’t be taken into your own hands. I’m at the understanding your parents don’t leave you with many options here and you seem to be on your own. I want you to understand that chameleonforums is just a website and we can not always help in certain situations such as this one where we are restricted on information/you are restricted from giving us that information. Regardless we will still ask the questions we can and try to do our best with what information we are given from these questions.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom