Let It Begin!!

Does not look like the pots are anchored well to the wall... you may have issues. Once you add weight they may try to pull away from the wall. Even with Foam you would have to do a ton if that is your main support. Like a ton.
They are just taped in place so we can move them as needed, we’re going back with a staple gun later tonight

I'm a little concerned about a few of the pots, e.g. top center back. Not enough room to get a 2nd pot in or out, and if foamed in-place and it ever had to be removed, relocated, or replaced (for whatever), it might involve some major surgery on the enclosure. Looks like transplanting something out & something else in might also be a pain.

Just sayin'... thinking ahead, planning for contingencies, etc. Better to move a few now than after they're foamed in-place. ;) But it's up to you; I tend to overthink at times.
Good point, I can move it when I get home.

They are just taped in place so we can move them as needed, we’re going back with a staple gun later tonight
I hate to say this hun but I do not thing a staple gun is going to be enough. Plus it will change the shape of the pot to easily drop in another. How much foam are you planning on putting around them?

Thanks for the advice everyone, it gives me a different point of view and ways to look at it, does anyone else have any suggestions? It’s obviously my first time lol.

I hate to say this hun but I do not thing a staple gun is going to be enough. Plus it will change the shape of the pot to easily drop in another. How much foam are you planning on putting around them?
Thanks for letting me know, what do you suggest? Im planning on foaming the whole back and sides.

Thanks for letting me know, what do you suggest? Im planning on foaming the whole back and sides.
What I am worried about is the foam pulling or the pots pulling out of the foam... Ehhhh I dunno. When I anchor pots I do a three point anchor and I normally try to have an anchor branch on the bottom edge of one side of the pot to support weight. I have not worked with foam just read about it. Let me tag in @GoodKarma19 she has worked with foam and can tell you if what your planning with it and those pots stapling them in if that will work.

I strongly suggest using the double pot method. If you need to change out a plant, it’s so much easier. Also keep in mind ability to access all of those plants to water, change out if needed, etc. Plan carefully where you will be able to get to them. Using zip ties, you should be able to attach some pots to sturdy branches too, which will give you more options in the long run.
Something I learned the hard way...when you foam in the pots, as the foam expands it warps the plastic pot. I used some pretty sturdy ones but they still warped and it was a pain to try and fix.
Also, if you’re using a tree or other tall plant, keep in mind that it will most likely hide some of the back wall plants and make it harder to reach them.

That cabinet looks huge wow.
Have you thought about pot drainage through foam too, ive seen builds with pipes to drain each pot hidden under the foam spray.
Will you be cutting shine off foam and sticking substrate to sealant like pebble dashing ( dont know if a thing outside uk) or having bare foam? Most chameleon friendly plants seem to like fast drainage. And plus one on the 2 pot method, if plant needs a bit of different lighting or conditions can swap out easy keep alive & rotate?

I'm a little late to the party! I agree that the 2 pot method is generally better, and allows you to easily swap plants as they outgrow their pots/if you decide to redecorate.

What I've done successfully with the last 3 builds I've done utilizing pots is to put down a thin layer of foam, place the pot where I want it, let it cure until solid to the touch, and then foam it in the rest of the way. I haven't had a single pot collapse this way, though I also using some pretty heavy duty nursery pots! I can't tell what size pots you have by the pictures, but I highly recommend 6" pots. I've found that plants become rootbound very quickly in 4", and need to be swapped out more often. You'll want the enclosure to be lying down on the side you want to foam, though you can foam with the enclosure standing up with some difficulty!

Make sure you have some sort of drainage system in place for your pots, too! I block off all but 1 or 2 of the holes with duct tape (inside and out), and then fit a 1/4" piece of tubing through the remaining hole(s) and hot glue the tubing in place. Leave the trailing end outside of the foam while it cures, and when you're carving you can trim it all the way back to the foam.

20200205_190221.jpg

20200205_193959.jpg

*I did actually use too much foam at once and caused some warping to the background in this build, but it's only an issue if you build on eggcrate or styrofoam.*

20190916_000044.jpg

20190916_002503.jpg

Think about accessibility as you place your pots! Make sure you check that the second pot can easily slide in and out, too - some extra trimming of the foam around the pots may be required.

Not all plastic pots are created equal; some are pretty hefty (stiff) and some (like those you buy plants in) can be pretty flimsy. Whichever you use, I would (and will) double them up during installation. This will stiffen the outer pots being secured, and ensure that you can easily get the inner pots in & out without having to force them. ;)

GoodKarma19 Do those tubes need to go someplace? I can see they need to get through the foam so mold, mildew, etc. doesn't form inside the foam, but I can't tell from pics if that's enough (and they drain from there) or they have to carry drainage off someplace, and if so, where? I'm thinking once they clear the foam, dripping down from that point might not be bad, and then collect in the drain pan along with excess water from misting, etc.

Or is there something else? :unsure:

Back
Top Bottom