Let It Begin!!

GoodKarma19 Do those tubes need to go someplace? I can see they need to get through the foam so mold, mildew, etc. doesn't form inside the foam, but I can't tell from pics if that's enough (and they drain from there) or they have to carry drainage off someplace, and if so, where? I'm thinking once they clear the foam, dripping down from that point might not be bad, and then collect in the drain pan along with excess water from misting, etc.

Or is there something else? :unsure:

Nope, the tubes don't go anywhere in particular! I just give them a lot of length so I can't accidently lose them in the foam while I'm building (i did that once with a shorter piece). Once I have everything carved to my liking, I trim them all the way back to the foam where they practically disappear. Excess water will drip out and down the background, and since all of my builds are bioactive it just drains into my substrate. Should work just fine with a drip pan, too!

I would (and will) double them up during installation. This will stiffen the outer pots being secured, and ensure that you can easily get the inner pots in & out without having to force them.

I've tried that, actually, and all I managed to do was get them BOTH permanently foamed in! Unless you're talking about two pots just to hold the shape, particularly if using more flimsy plastic. I've foamed in some weaker plastic pots without any issue, as long as you don't try it all at once. The key with spray foam is to go slowly and do it in parts, otherwise it will warp less rigid materials.

I've tried that, actually, and all I managed to do was get them BOTH permanently foamed in! Unless you're talking about two pots just to hold the shape, particularly if using more flimsy plastic.
Yup, that's what I was talking about. If the inside pot can't easily be slid in & out, then that particular pot may have to be redone. Your idea re: slowly and in parts sounds sound.

Soooo I’ve been pretty absent lately sorry about that, a small update, tomorrow we are cutting the top and screening it. Hope everyone is doing well! ♥
I have been thinking about you and Coda! Im super excited to see this build when it is finished (and along the way!)

I have been thinking about you and Coda! Im super excited to see this build when it is finished (and along the way!)
You have no idea how eager I am to finish this lol. I don’t have enough money to get a mistking right now so I will hand mist until that happens. Since rain water makes plants grow faster, can I water the plants additionally with rainwater? Do y’all thing that it would affect anything?

Woooooo we’re finally getting somewhere!! We just got the top out and we might start foaming today!! Also good luck to anyone who is getting hit by Hannah!

You have no idea how eager I am to finish this lol. I don’t have enough money to get a mistking right now so I will hand mist until that happens. Since rain water makes plants grow faster, can I water the plants additionally with rainwater? Do y’all thing that it would affect anything?
I think rain water is perfectly acceptable

Perfect, is there a specific way to foam? Or do y’all have and tips? We’re already going to lay it flat but is there anything else?

For a little dose of cuteness, Oreo thought that it was his cage and wouldn’t get out for like 20 min
9A4FE819-F6A3-4718-87EE-27C38D60156F.jpeg

And the 2nd half is done, we’re going to let it cure over night then flip it to one side, spray, cure over night, then the other side and on the 3rd day we are going to screen, swap out the cages and move her in!!

Everything is foamed and cured! We will be moving her in either later tonight or this weekend. Would it be a good idea to put her current cage in a pitch black room so she falls asleep so we can move her in? Also she’s showing receptive colors so this’ll be a good time to do it lol

Back
Top Bottom