Laying on side while basking

baggedd5087

Is there anything to be concerned about if my cham lays on his side while basking and he had his eyes closed this is the first time ive seen him with his eyes closed

Cage Info:
Cage Type -all screen 2x2x4
Lighting - repti glo 5.0, 40 watt lightbulb in dome lamp, 12 hours on, 12 hours off
Temperature -82 at basking spot 76 at bottom of cage, lowest has been 69 at night, i have a laser temp gun
Humidity -its between 50 and 70 i have real plants,humidifier, measuring with hygrometer
Plants - pothos hanging from top, umbrella tree, corn plant
Placement - its on top of my dresser top of the cage is 7 feet from floor
Location - grand junction colorado, dry dry DRY cold desert

Chameleon Info:
Your Chameleon - 3 1/2 month old male veiled ive had him about a month and a half
Handling - about once a day for a few minutes
Feeding - 6 crickets a day, one superworm,calcium w/o d3 6 times a week, calcium w/ d3 twice a month and herpitive once a month
Supplements - zoo med repitive, rep-cal calcium w/ d3, rep-cal herpitive
Watering - i have a little dripper, hand mist 2 times a day for about a minute, havent seen him drink lately
Fecal Description - black with white urate, kinda runny, never been tested
History - got him from FLChams about 1 1/2 months ago
Current Problem - laying on his side while basking

DSCN2213.jpg

Overall, I would say that it is okay....if you had an adult veiled. This little feller is way too small for that big ole' cage.

How big are the crix that you are giving him? Assuming they are size appropriate, I feed my babies more than that. And I would handle him less, too.

Otherwise (and back to the original question...), if they are trying to absorb the heat, I catch a couple of my females laying on their sides from time to time to get warm - but usually not with their eyes closed.

Generally, chams will lay on their side while basking to increase the surface area of their body that is exposed to the sun, or light. It is perfectly normal. Chams also rest their eyes from time to time. Any prolonged sleeping during the day is cause for convern though.

im cup feeding 1/4 inch crix he wont eat that much. he might be tired cause i was up till 3 this morning with my light on doing homework, so that might be it....i hope. i dont think he was sleeping cause i moved and he opened his eyes

The turning on his side may be just to get the best exposure to the light (mentioned this on your other thread, too).

i doubt hes cold they bask for many reasons other than heat. also you should put up a barrier in the cage make it half the size it is. also makes less for you to clean every week..lord knows these babies poop alot.....

Back
Top Bottom