Laying bucket in cage.

BIGGUN

Avid Member
My female started to dig today. I took the little bowl of sand out and put a 5 gallon bucket of wet sand in. I cut a 4" hole in the lid and ran a vine through it to give her access in and out.

Does this sound like a good setup or will the lid mess things up?

I figured the lid would give her more privacy.

Thanks,
Kevin

I believe I read on here that most people use dirt and not sand. I am sure someone else can give a clear example of their experience.

I ended up taking everything out of Agnes' cage (except for vines) and putting a large bucket in.
The medium I am using is very sandy topsoil with a little peat mixed in.
I ended up having to get it more damp than I originally thought would be appropriate.
I taped brown paper around the outside of the enclosure for privacy.
I did not use the lid
She is digging as we speak, but it took her a couple days to get used to the situation.
The "dampness" is similar to what you would want for building sand castles.
Kinyonga uses play sand with great success ... I think the important thing is that you use a medium that will hold the shape of the tunnel and not colapse on the animal while she is digging.

-Brad

angu310

I've noticed dirt, sand, and various mixes of dirt, peat, sand, coco fiber, ..........the list seems to go on and on.

I picked sand figuring that it was the most sterile. ???

Brad,

The sand holds it shape and test tunnel well. I thought the lid may help it to retain moisture also?? I think I'll tape something around her cage too.

Thanks for the responses,
Kevin

Thats great to here Brad.

I use the bottom of a 30 gallon trash can which is plastic haha iknow plastic/can whatever. Anyway I cut it to about 12 inches high. I then fill mine up with sandy topsoil like brad but with a little more soil than half up to 10 inches so the dirt doesnt spill out of the container. I then take my mister jr. that I got from the pet store and mist the dirt while mixing it. I use about 2 full mister jr. to get the mix moist enough. My female has laid every time in this.

If the lid isnt bothering I wouldnt mess with it she might abandon the hole. I wouldnt use the lid in the future. Good luck. Oh and mine is a female panther so.

I have tried various things but the sand I use now seems to hold a tunnel well and doesn't cause any infections (eye or gland in the corner of the mouth) or problems if the chameleon swallows it (or even eats it). It passes right through the chameleon if ingested. Its produced by Kings and it comes in a white bag that has red, blue and yellow sandbox toys pictured on the front. Its almost a yellowish color.

The bucket worked great.

My Panther laid 21 eggs about 2" from the bottom of the bucket, buried them and climbed out for a much deserved rest.

Thanks for the tips,
Kevin

I like to use large buckets, and by the time you take enough out of the cage to fit it in, it's not really worth the dismanteling the cage and her territory for. So instead when ready I move them to a large garbage pail.

I use Sand, Topsoil & Coco fiber mixed together, most is sand, but the bit of soil and coconut helps the mixture to adhere to itself. It should me misted with water, then mixed up, and misted again, and again, under the mix has a strong feel to it so that if she digs a long tunnel it will hold up and not collapse. If shes in there for extended amounts of time you'll need to mist to keep the soil moist enough.

I do mist for drinking water in the morning, no dripper as you don't want to saturate the bottom of the tubs soil. I usually place a few silkworms inside in the event that she will eat- although many will not. I usually put my computers webcam inside to spy on her. If she sees you she could abandon the whole shes digging and eventually become eggbound and die.

DSC_1117.jpg

The laying bucket, minus the cloth that usually covers the hole not occupied by the light. The hole in the lid that is not covered by the lamp I cover with a type of perforated fabric that allows airflow.

DSC_1118.jpg

I don't use a heat lamp, I use a florescent Coil, or a low wattage incandescent. You'll need to monitor the temperature and test a couple bulbs probably. If the amibent temperature is lower and making the sand cold, you can wrap a heating pad, cable, or heattape around the outside lower area.

DSC_1120.jpg

Provide vines, branches, and a plant as if it were her real cage.

Cool pics.

I don't know if they're fertile yet or not.

I guess I'll know in a week or two.

Kevin

Back
Top Bottom