Laying Bin Set Up - Educational Video

May I ask what is in your topsoil? I have some with 50%composted pine fines. 35% composted hardwood fines. 10%sand and 5% perlite. Would this be suitable for my veiled? Thank you for the very helpful video:)

Ours seems to be a soil and sand mixture. I am not a fan of using the potting soil with the little white beads in it.

As long as you can dig a tunnel with out it caving it it will work.. sand or sand and soil...

do any type of species require a laying that big? and from the video im guessing its fine to remove the regular setup with a laying bin with a plant until its done right?

Incubation would be a great one! I'm planing on breeding my two chameleons when they are old enough and want to be ready now so I know what to do . Great video!!

Ours seems to be a soil and sand mixture. I am not a fan of using the potting soil with the little white beads in it.

As long as you can dig a tunnel with out it caving it it will work.. sand or sand and soil...

I've read in many different places and I know I'm late in replying, sorry but just a sand bin seems like it would be very harsh on the chams skin and claws right? I just can't find and good natural soil..

do you think you can make a video on how to prepare the medium where the babies will be in for the next 7-9 months? i did some research but am not quite certain the amount of pearlite and water mixture.

Hi Dez, Jannb just directed me to your vids (laying bin & breeding), they're both fantastic. Thank you again for sharing :)

Reactions: Dez
OMG!! That really was a good video! I prefer to use sand as a laying medium. Mainly because my Veiled Cham seems to prefer sand. You just have to be careful of "cave-ins". I love that your video showed the entire digging process sped-up!! That was cute as hell!! Most of us never really get to see that entire process. I try to leave my girl alone while she is nesting & digging. You're definitely correct about the "practice holes". The first time my Cham laid eggs, she probably dug about 5 different tunnels until she was satisfied with the last one. She actually just laid her 2nd clutch late last night!! However, this time she dug only 1 tunnel and laid. I think it's because she was ready to "pop"!! LOL!! Again, this was a very good video!! I hope to see more videos from you and other members soon!! With Chams, you can always learn something new.... especially with different breeds.

I was wondering if it would be possible for you to create a video on the process of incubation after the Female has laid her eggs. Starting with retrieval of the eggs... all the way to the day they hatch. Which would include all the necessary info to incubate the eggs correctly.... from the type of incubator, hatching medium (vermiculite, hatchrite), temperatures, humidity levels, etc., etc. I know that would be a HUGE undertaking, but I think you're the right person to do it. I would love to see that video! However, if you're not able to, I would completely understand. Just a suggestion and request. Thanks Again!!

EXTREMELY educational. I now feel confident enough to try it myself. Ever consider writing a book? Or maybe making a video log on YouTube? You're a great educator keep it up!

I made this "How to" video to show how to set up a laying bin for a female chameleon. I narrated and edited it myself much like my other education video:https://www.chameleonforums.com/receptive-female-chameleons-educational-video-62869/

This video shows how we, at Chamalot Chameleons, set up laying bins for our females. There are a variation of techniques you can do, but this will give you a good solid idea of what is needed.

I hope this video helps a lot of female chameleons owners

;) enjoy

wonderful video :D less than 5 minutes and covers the bases :p

gorgeous, educational, and beautifully edited video, dez! May I ask what movie software you were using to make the video?

I was wondering if it would be possible for you to create a video on the process of incubation after the Female has laid her eggs. Starting with retrieval of the eggs... all the way to the day they hatch. Which would include all the necessary info to incubate the eggs correctly.... from the type of incubator, hatching medium (vermiculite, hatchrite), temperatures, humidity levels, etc., etc. I know that would be a HUGE undertaking, but I think you're the right person to do it. I would love to see that video! However, if you're not able to, I would completely understand. Just a suggestion and request. Thanks Again!!

Its on my list.. if i have the time.. also have to wait out the appropriate footage.. such as eggs sweating and pipping... ;)

EXTREMELY educational. I now feel confident enough to try it myself. Ever consider writing a book? Or maybe making a video log on YouTube? You're a great educator keep it up!

Thank you :)

gorgeous, educational, and beautifully edited video, dez! May I ask what movie software you were using to make the video?

I shoot everything with Panasonic Lumix GH1 in HD and edit it with Powerdirector 9

Reall awesome video! I felt like I was watching a National Geographic special.:) Very well done.

isn't she great? and i am proud to announce that i'll be seeing her this weekend to add one of Mister Twister's boys to my party! i mean....chameleon population.;)

suggestion

Hi, thanks for posting that very informative video. Would it be possible to make a video on choosing and preparing the incubation media for panthers, and the care during the incubation period?
Thank you.

Last edited:
Awesome video! Love the part she is digging and patting down the dirt never seen them do it as i leave them alone till the end :)

This video is amazingly helpful!!! As I was waiting for my girl to lay her eggs I must have watched this video about 10 times!! Now she is all finished laying and i have eggs incubating! I would have probably had a heart attack if i didn't have this video to watch, not to mention the relaxing narration! Shoof!

Thanks so much for sharing your information with everyone in such a well put together movie!!

Back
Top Bottom