Laying Bin Set Up - Educational Video

I made this "How to" video to show how to set up a laying bin for a female chameleon. I narrated and edited it myself much like my other education video:https://www.chameleonforums.com/receptive-female-chameleons-educational-video-62869/

This video shows how we, at Chamalot Chameleons, set up laying bins for our females. There are a variation of techniques you can do, but this will give you a good solid idea of what is needed.

I hope this video helps a lot of female chameleons owners

;) enjoy

This is very helpful and very informative.

I prefer my method, because it has proven more successful for me, for all
of my females over the years. I have tried other methods, but nothing comes
close to my setup in my experience, and my girls have a much easier time with
sand. Sand, when at the right level of dampness, is perfect.

If anyone has any questions about my method, don't hesitate to ask me. :)
I will be happy to be of assistance and help to ensure a great experience.

I made a brief comment about it in a post last year:
https://www.chameleonforums.com/early-eggs-120228/

lights

Do you do the lights in the cage, when mama is laying, like you always do? Any misting? Loved the video! You people are so helpful. My nosy be female should lay her eggs in the next 3 wks.

Do you do the lights in the cage, when mama is laying, like you always do? Any misting? Loved the video! You people are so helpful. My nosy be female should lay her eggs in the next 3 wks.

Lights can stay on top of the cage.. If you drape a sheet around the cage don't cover the top.. be careful the fabric is not too close to the light.. don't want a fire!

I mist as usual. If I see her digging I will wait until she is not to mist

I am glad you find the video helpful

Timid Female Veiled

I'm so thankful for this thread! I'm trying to troubleshoot my female. It's her first clutch (not fertilized) and we've done about everything (my wife and I) that we've read. There are, however, variables that haven't been covered:

1) We've got our chams in the living room, the kids (4 of them) love them and that's why we started with them. Our kids are loud and can get crazy rough-housing. Once we moved her into the study and she was stressed from being moved. I've heard this is not too uncommon. A bit of a catch 22. We actually don't know if the kids impair her egg laying or not, she's never been bothered by them in the past as she grew up in this corner of the house ;-)

2) We've also read to remove all but a few branches in the enclosure so that it's just her, the bucket of dirt, and a few branches to perch on. Let me tell you, she stresses about that too. She just crawls to the bottom and huddles in a corner if not trying to scratch at the enclosure walls. I can't stand seeing her that way! LOL, we miss our bright happy green baby!

3) Bottom of cage activity... With all her happy's in place: plenty of branches, not moved from her corner of the living room- She's a vivid green and black little zebra with some white patches, looking like a football with a puffy "don't touch me I'm 9 months along ready to pop leave me in my happy place" attitude. Either she's up in the branches or pacing the very bottom. She completely ignores the bucket of dirt. It seems like the BOTTOM is where she wants the dirt, though that's not possible.

Where I'm at... I feel I know my cham in that throwing her into a tote full of dirt or a trash can of dirt and calling it good for a few days is going to kill her of stress. That is a LAST DITCH scenario. I'm considering using duct tape and cardboard to create a "false bottom" built between the branches and around the mouth of the bucket so the dirt is indeed at the very bottom where she's crawling around; and of course throw the sheet around her cage.
BTW, I'm sure I've got a great mix of dirt and sand, even with a little bentonite and ball clay to give it better tunnel structure holding capabilities (I come from a ceramic arts background).

Any ideas or words of wisdom from all the experience here???? Thank
you!

How big is her cage? You can find , or even build, a large container that her cage can sit in. If she is in a 18x18x36 cage , find or build a container 19x19x12 . Fill with dirt. Take her cage and remove the plastic bottom and set the cage in the dirt box. Then the whole bottom will be dirt.

You could build a wooden box. Doesn't have to be pretty. I woould line or with plastic or a trash bag before filling with dirt.
We have done it in the past.

Otherwise your cardboard and duct tape idea may work of it will stay in place

Thanks Dez =) It is an 18x18x36. And while the bottom does come out, making a big dirt bin like that won't work in our home (though my 1yo and 3yo may advocate otherwise!) I'm gonna try the false bottom, and move her if I have to next; and very last try the closed container thing. I'm hoping it just won't come to that.

help

I'm about to build my first laying bin. I have all the supplies I need I think. However, I wasltched the video and saw you could put a tree or plant in it. I bought a pothos plant. Along with completely changing the soil of the plant, would it be ok to put in the laying bin?

I'm about to build my first laying bin. I have all the supplies I need I think. However, I wasltched the video and saw you could put a tree or plant in it. I bought a pothos plant. Along with completely changing the soil of the plant, would it be ok to put in the laying bin?

Yes you can use a pothos

laying bin

Great vid!:D Found it online yesterday and immediately followed the video exactly. I added a Schefflera into the pot and as soon as I introduced it into my Cham's habitat she went right right to work digging. She's been digging constantly for over 24 hrs and came up for air this morning and looks exhausted!
Since the eggs are infertile, I'm thinking of leaving them in the pot as plant food for the Umbrella...good idea or not?

Great vid!:D Found it online yesterday and immediately followed the video exactly. I added a Schefflera into the pot and as soon as I introduced it into my Cham's habitat she went right right to work digging. She's been digging constantly for over 24 hrs and came up for air this morning and looks exhausted!
Since the eggs are infertile, I'm thinking of leaving them in the pot as plant food for the Umbrella...good idea or not?

Yes you can leave them of you want unless you are curious about the number of eggs she laid...sometimes its fun to know.

Hello!
I've recently been given a female veiled. She's one year and three months and apparently has never laid - her last owner didn't know that they lay with or without a male present. I've put a big pot of sand in her tank but I can't persuade her to go in it - she keeps walking about on the floor instead. I don't know if she's getting ready to lay, but she does look a lot fatter recently and has been eating a lot more than usual. The last couple of days she's also turned a bit of a funny colour - more greyish than usual. I'd really appreciate any advice, she's my first lizard and I'm a bit worried about her. Thanks!

My female cham wants to lay eggs... i have a small cage n big pot or trash can or bucket wont fit... does it have to have a plant in it... shes still small thats y i havent upgraded her cage

Amazing video. Thanks for sharing. My 1 year old female chameleon has not eaten in 15 days. I am going to try and set something up like this for her. Maybe she has eggs.

Back
Top Bottom