Laying Bin Set Up - Educational Video

Once your done moving the eggs to the containers, you should never turn them or move them again. There is an airpocket that forms about halfway into incubation. If the egg is turned after this pocket forms, the fetus inside can suffocate. A lot of people think this is true of the egg as soon as it is laid. When eggs are new, they don't have the air pocket yet. .. that's why I felt it worthwhile to mention.

If you put the eggs in the incubation containers close together (touching) they are more likely to hatch at the same time.

The red is all i really knew about the incubation process... Question for you breeders out there from an aspiring breeder. I've heard that you should put a small dot on the very top of the egg just to ensure that they don't acidently get rotated and the babies don't suffocate.

Is that true or would using a sharpie harm them or cause defects? I would much rather use a pencil or some nontoxic marker then a sharpie anyway but would that harm them?

Awesome video Dez. That will be so helpful to allot of member here and hopefully save the life's of a few female chams.

The red is all i really knew about the incubation process... Question for you breeders out there from an aspiring breeder. I've heard that you should put a small dot on the very top of the egg just to ensure that they don't acidently get rotated and the babies don't suffocate.

Is that true or would using a sharpie harm them or cause defects? I would much rather use a pencil or some nontoxic marker then a sharpie anyway but would that harm them?

People do do that. Eggs absorb moisture from the medium so I would worry a sharpie would absorb into the egg as well. I don't know if it has ever caused any ill effect. Just to be safe I would use a pencil or something non toxic if you wanted to mark them.

Here is an awesome video. Is this a forum member?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jX76fMcv5ak&feature=related

That is a member on here and that video was posted not too long ago but I can't find the original thread.

Awesome video Dez. That will be so helpful to allot of member here and hopefully save the life's of a few female chams.

Thanks Jann, that is what my goal was.. to save a female's life. See Anna has some nice shots in the beginning :)

Feel free to use it, link it, share it. It is why I made it :)

I will also take suggestions on other topics to make videos on.. As long as I am knowledgeable about the subject.. and it is not too broad..( Like Make a video about everything you need to know about a chameleon - :eek:)

I may make one on doing a home fecal float and maybe another one on incubation?? I haven't decided yet.

i say one on incubation i really liked this one

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E0Rq-EzsBuY

great video

really understand the process much better now, my only concern is the fact that my female after a fall is now dropping her eggs from the top of her branch. I am gathering the two she dropped so far and putting them in my hatching medium in hopes they hatch, but im watching closely to see if she continues to drop them or if she goes down and digs properly in her laying bin. If she doesnt lay what do i do?

That's a very impressive video :) :cool:
It's both entertaining and highly educational. The strong production value is evidence that Dez spent a lot of time on this. Dez, you're very talented. Thank you for sharing your video with the community. Just think of all the people and chameleons that will benefit.

This video was a huge help when my ambanja surprised me with an egg this morning.

I am so glad it was useful :D :D

That's a very impressive video :) :cool:
It's both entertaining and highly educational. The strong production value is evidence that Dez spent a lot of time on this. Dez, you're very talented. Thank you for sharing your video with the community. Just think of all the people and chameleons that will benefit.

Thank you very much Brad! :)

I know it will help a lot of people and their female chams

i really enjoyed the video! thanks a lot for taking the time to share the video. im sure it will be very useful for a lot of people:D

If I had seen this video before my veiled chameleon started laying her eggs she might have been around today. :-(

I had no idea they needed a bin that big.
The pile of soil I put in her terrarium was not even close to that much.

The next time I have a veiled female she will get a BIG bin.

How about the temperature in the bin/enclosure? The "usual" or warmer?

May I ask what is in your topsoil? I have some with 50%composted pine fines. 35% composted hardwood fines. 10%sand and 5% perlite. Would this be suitable for my veiled? Thank you for the very helpful video:)

Back
Top Bottom