Knopfler and Imperiata

PardalisGirl

Avid Member
Hi Melleri fans......I took my first pictures of the new Melleri today. I'm pretty sure Knopfler is a male. His tail bulge seems to be "packing" something inside it. In person you can see that there is something inside the bulge under the skin when he moves. I saw him do his last poop and he popped out just a hint of what he has in there. Enough for me not to change my mind about his being a male. I think he is at the start of blossoming into his maleness. The tip of his nose was bent and red when I got him. It's still bent but seems to be healing in the bent position. I have not done a fecal yet but his poop looks great as far as indicating health. Firm with white clean looking urates. He's eating like crazy and has settled into his cage. He hisses at me when I put my hand in there and puffs up at me. I've fallen head over heels in love with him. I handle him every other day when I give him a dose of Reptaid. He is in his mid-range colors. When the cage door is closed he has some mellow green and yellow colors. When I actually put my hand in there he gets a vivid black and yellow. This is his on guard but not totally alarmed color:

Knopfler1.JPG Knopfler2.JPG

Knopfler3.JPG

Imperiata is the second Melleri. I gave "her" a female name just hoping that I really have a pair. I have no idea what the real sex this one is and won't for a long time. "She" is much smaller. She was extremely frail and stressed looking when I got her two weeks ago. She is starting to fill out a bit. She is eating and drinking well. She has a nice mellow coloration when the cage door is closed. As soon as you open the door she gets stressed and gets the black and yellow coloration. Her poops look great and I'm dosing her with the Reptaid every other day. She has what looks like is a healing/healed fracture on the right forearm (not seen in the photos). It was there when I got her. The bone seems solid and there is no interference with walking at all. There is just a solid "bump" on the bone where the injury fused as it healed. I think the bump will disappear as she grows. Here she is and not happy with the camera at all:

Imperiata1.jpf.jpg Imperiata2.jpg

I really hope she continues to acclimate. The week I got her I told myself not to get attached. She was SO thin and dehydrated looking. She is still thin but hydrated and has a little more meat on her bones. I am very fascinated by this species!

Last edited:
Keep the fascination going. I'm so glad to see so many people having success with this species. Seem like just yesterday they were called a 3 month and done species. I think their large size has great appeal to.

Very nice! I hope you end up with a true pair out of them. Glad to hear the female is doing much better for you. Can't wait to hear about their progress. :)

Measurements..............

Nick....Knopfler is about 8 inches STV and 16 inches total length. He was really pissed off with me and the measuring tape....I did not want to stress Imperiata off with measuring. I'm guessing 3 inches STV and 6 inches total.

More exciting news.....I just bought what I think is a female. The ad showing her is still on Kingsnake. It was posted by Outback Reptiles on 04-14-09 if you want to check it out below:

http://market.kingsnake.com/detail.php?cat=52&de=678429

Not sure how long the link will work. The first two pictures are the one I bought. Rolland from Outback sent me a bunch of pictures of the hips, the vent, etc. from different angles. The hips are very pronounced and widely spaced. They are very visible even though the cham has a good body weight and is very filled out. Knopfler's hips are very narrow and not visible at all. You have to feel for them. So I'm guessing it's a female. "She" is quite a bit bigger than Knopfler too. She will arrive tomorrow. I think she looks very healthy for a WC. I thought this would be my best bet in insuring that I end up with a pair. Imperiata has a lot of growing to do :)

Last edited:
Catherine, this is too exciting. She looks all female to me (and I correctly called summoner12's girl's gender last year :). Can't wait to see what develops!

Hurray!

Thanks for your opinion.....I spent a lot of time with the seller going over various pictures, etc. to see if it could be a female. We compared it to others he had that were also available. The spacing between the hip bones being different between the sexes (from Melleri Discovery) made a lot of sense to me. I am so excited I can hardly contain myself. She will be in a separate cage not far from Knopfler. They will be able to see each other very well and communicate if they want to. Knopfler is very secure looking in his cage and I don't want to threaten his territory. I'm hoping to let any interaction from afar guide me as to their future compatability. I was afraid he was going to get lonely waiting for the other one to grow up :) Thanks again for your opinion on the sex!

Great to see more and more people taking interest in this species they are hands down my favorite ! Now that they are increasing in popularity hopefully will will start seeing alot more homegrown specimens that would be great:)Pardalis G yours are beautiful i wish you the best with them.

hmm, just based on those 2 pictures I don't think that chameleon looks particularly female. So it's good that you had other pics to look at as well. I hope you're right, though, she looks very nice for a WC.

Waiting :)

She should be here in a couple hours.....When I responded to the ad I asked if he had any sexable females. The one he first sent me pictures of looked male to me. I called him and pointed him to the Melleri Discovery site. While on the phone he went through the ones he had and we discussed their features in detail. Based on that it was decided that the one I bought (featured in the ad) was the best candidate. He then sent me a bunch of new pictures that confirmed my thoughts that it is a she. She has some super widely spaced hip bones that are very prominent. She's clearly built to carry eggs. I layed in bed last night trying to come up with a name. I've decided on Layla.

Omg omg omg!!!!!

Layla has arrived! OMG she is beautiful and huge! She's 10 1/2 inches STV and 21 inches in total length. Well built, sturdy and heavy! She is easily twice Knopfler's overall weight and height. I am so overwhelming pleased with her. And I do believe she is really a female. There is no hint of a tail bulge at all. So unlike Knopfler who is 1/2 her size. She is perfect too. No dings. I've put her in her cage. She could easily eat Imperiata as a snack! I'm going to let her settle in before I take pictures. She's in a cage for quarantine now. Once I get her parasite free and acclimated to life here I will move her into the big final home I have. I hope she will let Knopfler join her later this year :)

Terrific news. You have a (hopefully) breeding pair just like mine. A huge female and small-ish male. Are you able to take videos with your chamera? Wait til you see the way they interract as they get to know each other. I wonder if Layla will beat up on Knopfler the way our Megana beat on Hercules. Oh, how thrilled he was to see her until he realized what he was up against! But, they worked it all out. Eventually. :)

Back
Top Bottom