Kinyongia Fischeri General info / caresheet

Sonny13

Chameleon Enthusiast
At our local pet store they’re selling a male Kinyongia Fischeri and it’s getting my interest. However I can’t find much general info on them nor a decent care sheet.

Thus someone have experience with this specific specie? All info is appreciated and maybe I can give this sweet fella a new home.

At our local pet store they’re selling a male Kinyongia Fischeri and it’s getting my interest. However I can’t find much general info on them nor a decent care sheet.

Thus someone have experience with this specific specie? All info is appreciated and maybe I can give this sweet fella a new home.

True Kinyongia fischeri has only been kept once (by Chris) if I remember what @Chris Anderson told me. They are blanketed under the term Kinyongia fischeri but they are not truly that species.

My guess is that this store has a Kinyongia boehmei. Do you have a picture so that we can correctly ID it for you? In any case there’s almost a certainty that this is a WC animal, so extra care will be required.

Chase

True Kinyongia fischeri has only been kept once (by Chris) if I remember what @Chris Anderson told me. They are blanketed under the term Kinyongia fischeri but they are not truly that species.

My guess is that this store has a Kinyongia boehmei. Do you have a picture so that we can correctly ID it for you? In any case there’s almost a certainty that this is a WC animal, so extra care will be required.

Chase
Thanks, looking at the pictures they look similar. Maybe tomorrow or Saturday I can drive to the store and take picture. Just phoned them and consist its a true Kinyongia fischeri. Small side note, the store is in Germany and I live near the German border in the Netherlands. It could be that it´s more common in Europe then in the States. Still I can find much information about the Kinyongia fischeri.

Would the care taking be much different from a Kinyongia boehmei? And I kinda like free-range, is this a good choice for these species or is an enclosure more recommended?

Thanks!

Thanks, looking at the pictures they look similar. Maybe tomorrow or Saturday I can drive to the store and take picture. Just phoned them and consist its a true Kinyongia fischeri. Small side note, the store is in Germany and I live near the German border in the Netherlands. It could be that it´s more common in Europe then in the States. Still I can find much information about the Kinyongia fischeri.

Would the care taking be much different from a Kinyongia boehmei? And I kinda like free-range, is this a good choice for these species or is an enclosure more recommended?

Thanks!

While illegal pet trade is very common in Europe, I still HIGHLY doubt it’s true K. fischeri.

Here is a link:
https://www.chameleonforums.com/threads/fischers-chameleon-kinyongia-fischeri.22395/

Here is a caresheet from Chameleon Academy:
https://chameleonacademy.com/wp-con...-sheet-Böhmes-Two-horned-Chameleon-012821.pdf

Chase

Thanks!
Just buy it, now. Before it is bought by someone who will try to treat it like a veiled.

It is montane for sure so I would think care similar to a boehmei but an expert can chime in. Not good for free range unless you have a cold place for it like a basement.

And if behavior is anything like a boehmei it will be a joy.

Just buy it, now. Before it is bought by someone who will try to treat it like a veiled.

It is montane for sure so I would think care similar to a boehmei but an expert can chime in. Not good for free range unless you have a cold place for it like a basement.

And if behavior is anything like a boehmei it will be a joy.
Thing is I need to buy everything for him and don’t wanna make the same mistake as I did with my first.

He’ll be placed in a room below floor level (kind of basement), it’s there cooler then the rest of my house. Are the night temps the same like a Jackson?

Try to make time tomorrow to pay in advanced in reserve him. That would give me time to figure things out and prepare a proper enclosure for him.

Really in love with this specie and what I heard locally a real opportunity.

Thing is I need to buy everything for him and don’t wanna make the same mistake as I did with my first.

He’ll be placed in a room below floor level (kind of basement), it’s there cooler then the rest of my house. Are the night temps the same like a Jackson?

Try to make time tomorrow to pay in advanced in reserve him. That would give me time to figure things out and prepare a proper enclosure for him.

Really in love with this specie and what I heard locally a real opportunity.
That room sounds great, and the cooler at night the better, I can only manage about 67 degrees at night in the summer for the boehmei but would do lower if I could. I think a good temp gradient is very important, by the mid afternoon mine goes down to the coolest part of the cage.

Fisher's is a little bigger than a Boehmei. I would not do a free range with my little guy, he is too monkey-like and fearless; he will dangle from a vine from his extra long tail and then drop, and I think if he was on a tree he would be getting in a lot of trouble, at the very least not staying on the tree.

They seem to like flying prey better, so if you don't have them get some flies and/or Black Soldier flies. That said mine also eats small dubias, silks, and crickets as long as it is after a fast day. Won't eat BSF larvae, I think they move too slowly.

We are excited for pictures!

Hi! I'm willing to bet it is K. Boehmei. I'm not sure why - but a lot of them are coming in and popping up lately, and almost always labeled as Dwarf Fischers. To know if its K Boehmei, look at its back. K Boehmei will have spikes along its back only about half way down the back. Dwarf Fischers do not have these little spikes on their back at all. Either way, they are also extremely likely to be wild caught. My pair were, and I love them to death.... but be sure to ask if they've been treated for parasites /worms. Try to get an honest answer without pressure but telling them you just dont want to treat them if they've already been treated. Pancur you can get OTC (I think), and I just put a little on a feeder since they are so small. That would help with worms but not with other parasites. Best bet is to get a fecal done rather than just blindly treat. If you have other chameleons or reptiles, you also need to exercise care and cleanliness so that you don't transfer any parasites or issues to the other animals.

I can't speak to Dwarf Fischers, but I'd expect the care is really similar to K. Boehmei. Here's a link to my experience with them, which outlines the temps and what I feed/supplement. https://www.chameleonforums.com/species/kinyongia-boehmei.147/experience/26/

The most important thing with these guys is managing temps and night time humidity. They stress over 80 degrees, so no basking light, unless you really need one over winter. Even then, make it a very low wattage so its just adding a bit of ambient heat, NOT a hot spot. My guys go up near their dual T5 lights for warmth - where it gets to be around 75-78 degrees. The rest of the cage is low-mid 70s. Overnight temps drop to 60-65. If you can get it lower, even better. Night time fogging is recommended. I like to spray all my guys in late afternoon and/or evening - as they drink more readily later in the day, but that also gets the humidity up during the evening, and I only fog for a few hours overnight.

If its K Boehmei - they are very active, and very small. I would not free range, as if you lose sight of them you may never find them. And all chams can be escape artists when they want to be. These guys are no bigger than a mouse... and extremely good at hiding / blending. Half the time I can't find me, and they are almost always right in front of my eyes.

Back
Top Bottom