Keeping My Chameleon Warm in The Winter?

Just temperatures. Could you explain why a temperature drop is good? Everything I have read said otherwise?

Temperatire drop is inevitable condition for poikilothherm
Animals to
Sleep
And recover.

It daily ryhthm (night)
In yesrly rhythm (winter)

It is because their ohysiology is set up this way.
They NEED low nighttime temperatures to sleep in
If they are too high, they can not sleep
Properly.
Imagine, someone would force yoj to sleep
At temperatire 20
Degrees higher than notmal, ot
Means at 90z would you sleep
No! Same happens to xhameleons.

Same applies for winter time
For
Millims of years, rhe xhameleons spent 1-3 months in a year in dormant sleeping-like state not hinting, hydrating from fog only almost no moving. Itnis same why bears sleepmin the wintertime approximateky. Then need it tonrecover. They need it for soermatogenesis. Rhey need it because for millions ofnyears rehy did so. Wr can not change that in few generations. So, if not having cold relaxing winters, rhey life daťster (because in rheir case the life processes, metabolism, is deoendent from temoeratiee and rhey die many years esrlier rhan they sould if rhey sould be procided winter relaxing brumation peruod.

Is rhisninderstandsble?

I do notmadvoxate to get to rhe extremes
Because extremes kill
Even in the wild

Imadvoxstento keep the pattern

And this is why a night drop even in the fortiesmin rhe winter is NO problem, on contrary. Itnis fine. If you will not heat them upmat daytime tom90 and do not feed them too much...

I have no idea as I haven't got a chemelon all my knowledge is from research online.
I have no idea as I haven't got a chemelon all my knowledge is from research online.
How cold would you say a jackson chemelon would need to get I understand they need cooler nights anyway.

Like this
And I jave een to all rheir range including rhe feral in Hawaii tomstudy iimjustnxame back day before yesterday from their range in Tanzania and it was freezing cold st night there

Attachments

• 5D359741-27B4-4CAD-9B37-D67281E361DE.jpeg
    5D359741-27B4-4CAD-9B37-D67281E361DE.jpeg
    170.1 KB · Views: 52
  • F711ABE8-55C5-49AD-BADB-8C7BB96E2204.jpeg
    F711ABE8-55C5-49AD-BADB-8C7BB96E2204.jpeg
    134.1 KB · Views: 60
  • F19216B4-F1E3-43EB-AD83-AC5A8A8E5202.jpeg
    F19216B4-F1E3-43EB-AD83-AC5A8A8E5202.jpeg
    137.1 KB · Views: 57

The provlem is the internet is full of wrong information. Fir a. Eginner itnis very hsrd timsortmout whag is a good source and what not
A big issue and causing lits of confusion and many desths of xhameleonsnin caltivity

Sir, may I ask why? You say you're worried about the health of chameleons and you want the best people and their chameleons, but to efficiently provide correct information to somebody you must do it in an appropriate manner. I would think you would want to at least pretend to be nice to get your information across.
Can you dtop nashing me, For more rhan an hournK am calm and iind and nice.

The provlem is the internet is full of wrong information. Fir a. Eginner itnis very hsrd timsortmout whag is a good source and what not
A big issue and causing lits of confusion and many desths of xhameleonsnin caltivity
Ok thank you

Like this
And I jave een to all rheir range including rhe feral in Hawaii tomstudy iimjustnxame back day before yesterday from their range in Tanzania and it was freezing cold st night there
The temps seem like something I can provide especially in winter mabye a litter warmer in summer.

Night time temp drop is important for them... I do not let mine drop below 60 however... It has before down to 53 and my Veiled took 2 days to fully come back from it and start responding normally. So I approach it as while they can survive it I am not willing to risk it after that experience.
To each their own though.

This is probably hibernation mode you are seeing as it happens with Parsons too. Mine got into the high 30s one night and like you say, it took a couple days for him to return to normal. In the wild these temps wouldn't just immediately shoot back up to normal so I think that's why it takes them some time to snap out of it. All that said idt it's harmful, but it is stressful to see as a keeper because they act out of the ordinary.

This is probably hibernation mode you are seeing as it happens with Parsons too. Mine got into the high 30s one night and like you say, it took a couple days for him to return to normal. In the wild these temps wouldn't just immediately shoot back up to normal so I think that's why it takes them some time to snap out of it. All that said idt it's harmful, but it is stressful to see as a keeper because they act out of the ordinary.
I guess it was it
Younjust calm down and get used ro otjer mode of rheir natural history, you did nit inow before
Sure thy bejave differently rhan in the scrive ohase
Some Parsons brumate up to 5 konths! Rhey est nothing
And jist sit and sleep... all days ling, sometimes nit evennipening eyes...
Drressfulmis nit to get rhem ti that state but to wake them upmfrommit too abruptly...
Of ppl would provide withertime sleepmtomxhameleins rhey would save lots if ebergy, koney and make the xhsmeleons live much longer

So I didn't read this through, and I've had my fair share of battles with mr necas(which I'm not trying to get into now. Pete, you need to speak more respectively to people. We've been over this), but I see night temperature being brought up and I feel I have some experience with that. IMO and IME chameleons do just fine even dropping into the high 40s. My temps naturally change through the seasons because I live in a cold climate. So far I have had success with this.
Excellent
Low nighttime temps are beneficial.’I am happy you confirm this

I was soending just twomweeksmin Tanzania (came back day before yesterday) in rhe moungains. Observing and shudying 15 soeciesmof chameleons. Rhe nights wrre chilly, ar 1600m (approx 5000ft), it was 50-43F. And itnis already springtime...

The nighttime drop
And foggy nights are essential for their survival
How would I go about making it foggy in a mesh terrarium. Also I'm worried about black mould developing in the room. Is this likely to happen or does this only happen if I was to spray the whole room.

Btw I'm not arguing or taking sides with anyone. I'm all for whatever works for people. I just think the topic of night drop is interesting.

Petr, you have to remember, we're not your students or paid researchers or whatever... we're all regular people with our own difficult lives. Many here already make a bigger leap than most coming to an online community to learn more. Give people the benefit. If you care about chameleons so much, you'll understand that the last they want to hear is someone yelling at them condescendingly after they got off of work, school, etc.

I guess it was it
Younjust calm down and get used ro otjer mode of rheir natural history, you did nit inow before
Sure thy bejave differently rhan in the scrive ohase
Some Parsons brumate up to 5 konths! Rhey est nothing
And jist sit and sleep... all days ling, sometimes nit evennipening eyes...
Drressfulmis nit to get rhem ti that state but to wake them upmfrommit too abruptly...
Of ppl would provide withertime sleepmtomxhameleins rhey would save lots if ebergy, koney and make the xhsmeleons live much longer

Yup mind did this, most of fall all the way into mid spring. Ate nothing, rarely moved. He seemed to avoid the UVB at this time and sat under plants for days/weeks. Thoughts?

How would I go about making it foggy in a mesh terrarium. Also I'm worried about black mould developing in the room. Is this likely to happen or does this only happen if I was to spray the whole room.

Irmis easy
You do notmrum the fogger full power and/or you do intermittently and cover at night the cage with some curtain or towel
Really easy, no worries

Until there is evidence that me keeping mine at a night time temp of 60-65 is killing them I choose not to drop it further. I mimic as close to their natural conditions as possible. You know this because you know me well and you know that I worry about every single detail. But as I had said to each their own. There is a reason I don't have Jackson's and Parsons... I do not have the conditions to provide what they need.

But I am also not ok with being told I am an idiot or the insinuation that I am killing my chameleons. This is something that Mr. Necas likes to do and I am pretty much over it.

Back
Top Bottom